N/S Can someone explain to me the Packers/Aaron Rodgers situation? (1 Viewer)

1) The average HOF QB is rapidly declining around the age of 38. Rodgers will be 37 this year. There is no reason to believe that Rodgers will be a unicorn like Brady or Brees...he's been significantly more prone to injury.
2) Rodgers is a headache and ego-maniac. A head coach will put up with him when he is great, but the moment he starts to decline...the incombent coach is going to want no part of him. He is NOT like Brees in that regard.
3) Jordan Love has a ton of potential but is very raw. He really could use 2-3 years to develop, which is right around the time period Rodgers should be dropping off a cliff.

He said he wanted to play until 40, he has 3 years left on his contract at which time he will be 39. They did the same thing to Favre so I’m not sure why people are freaking out.

this. That didn't work out too bad for them. Im sure they would love for some kind of repeat. I don't think Love belongs in the conversation with those two though.

What’s funny is have you ever heard the national media, during Brees’ entire tenure, that he needs more weapons? It seems to me that that same standard is not applied to Rodgers, and that the national media constantly makes excuses for Rodgers’ weapons, supporting cast, and defenses.

Maybe I’ve just been blind to it, but I haven’t heard the national media afford Brees the same excuses. Surely, the great QB who beat Brees out for the all decade team shouldn’t need so many excuses, right?

I agree with this 100%

I don't know if it was their strategy but I'm fine constantly targeting QBs to draft. They tend to give you a nice return on investment. Maybe they thought Love fell way past his value so they went and grabbed him.

By the time Love is in his third year, they could be making a QB change. If not someone will probably trade a decent asset for him.

I'll never think it's dumb to add players of the most important position to your team.

The answer is Job Security.
It was a smart move for Matt LaFleur & the GM to draft Jordan Love. If Rodgers have another subpar season & the Packers miss the playoff, who would the media blame??They have learned from Mike McCarthy & personally themselves last season that Erin is only concern about Erin. He is one of those who think he can do no wrong. He will gladly take all the credits for his team success and it is always someone else faults for his failures.

I guess I’m in the minority here but you’ve got a HOF level QB and a team that was ONE GAME away from the Super Bowl.
Why would you move up to draft someone that hopefully won’t see the field until 4 years from now?

The packers glaring need going into the draft was WR. And to come away from arguably the deepest WR draft in years with ZERO receivers is crazy.

You also should keep in mind that they didn’t just select Love, they moved up for him. Why couldn’t they have moved up for a receiver? And with their next pick they selected a backup running back. Another position that was absolutely not a need and doesn’t help that team make that push for SB contention.

...see Brett Favre situation when Packers drafted a young Aaron Rogers....sometimes life/your career has a way of repeating itself or coming full circle the other way. Love will sit for couple few yrs and then take over when Rogers is done in GB.

...see Brett Favre situation when Packers drafted a young Aaron Rogers....sometimes life/your career has a way of repeating itself or coming full circle the other way. Love will sit for couple few yrs and then take over when Rogers is done in GB.

Only difference between the two was Aaron Rodgers was seen as the unanimous no1 that fell in the draft. Nobody had Love even remotely close to being the no1 prospect.

Rodgers is a ice hole. The coach is getting someone he wants. Glad they got him and not us though

He said he wanted to play until 40, he has 3 years left on his contract at which time he will be 39. They did the same thing to Favre so I’m not sure why people are freaking out.

People aren’t freaking out because the Pack got a QB. It’s the round they selected THIS QB.

When Aaron was drafted while Farve was still on the roster, Aaron was rated as high as top 5 prospect, possibly #1. Farve was also vacillating over retirement.

Jordan Love is a project QB. You don’t select a project in the 1ST ROUND. You especially don’t do it when your team has pressing needs at the other skill positions. I’d have been enraged too if we’d waisted a 1st on a project when Brees was 36.

So, I don’t blame folks -especially GB fans- for being flummoxed.

Everyone in the media is talking about the Packers trading up to draft Jordan Love (which I agree was a dumb move to trade up for a guy who would have been there when they drafted). The talk is that the Packers didn’t once look to get Rodgers any receiving help, and how this should be a final straw for him in GB. (1. he is stuck in GB for 3 more years 2. What can he do to show his displeasure).

If the Packers were going Best Player Available, and Love was high enough on their board then the move makes sense. And with their following picks, if WR/TE/RB weren’t BPA what were they supposed to do, reach for a receiver?

Why did they need to draft a receiver? They have Devante Adams, but they also have a lot of young receivers (wr/te/rb) who are still developing, so you want them to add another person that they will need to develop? I know Brees has done more with less, so wouldn’t this be a great opportunity for ARod to show that he is still elite?

This all smacks of stupidity to me so perhaps someone can make sense of it.

You're thinking too much.

What this tells me is that Aaron Rodgers is a world class cleaning nozzle and they're tired of his act. He's overrated and this is sending a signal.

He'll be available for trade shortly and they'll go back to talking about Favre and STarr.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom