N/S: Chris Ivory (5.1 ypc average) pegged as frontrunner for Jets starting RB (1 Viewer)

Haters gonna hate!

I wish him all the best...except when he plays us this year!

I'm not hating. You don't think its also a coincidence that we started out 2-4 without Joe Vitt, had absolutely no running game at all, and then Vitt comes in and starts committing to the run more? All of our runningbacks looked better when Vitt came back. It wasnt because of Ivory, it was because of Vitt being determined to establish the run.

to further my point and to prove that im not "hating" on Ivory, I did some research:
In a conference call with the Atlanta media before the Saints’ game with the Falcons, Vitt said that he believes Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory and Mark Ingram didn’t get involved enough in the offense while he was gone, and he made a point of changing that in the Saints’ Monday night win over the Eagles.

“For the first time this past week, we really dedicated ourselves to finding a role for these guys and [did some] game-planning to their strengths,” Vitt said of Ivory and Ingram. “To be quite frank, they were underutilized early in the season.”

He'll be a beast for three weeks. Still, I wish the best for him.

This. With that supporting cast he'll probably have more missed games than TDs. When it comes to Ivory it all comes down to two truths. One, the man can flat out run with a football. Two, the man can't stay healthy.

Yea. Then again...Ivory mite b 1 of those rare types that can produce against 9 in the box if given a consistent chance

Or he could be a Chris Johnson, who has loads of potential, but struggles because defenses stack 8 or 9 in the box and force their terrible QB to win the game for them. Same thing with the Jets. Stack 8 in the box, stuff Ivory and force Sanchez to beat you. Ha.

1-butt-crash1.gif

That's a big "if". They way he runs doesn't help him staying away from injury too. I wish the dude the best though.

I don't see how it would. Seems like their lack of QB talent should provide Ivory with plenty of opportunities...way more than he would get here for damn sure. He'll have his chance to shine against us this season...hopefully we'll manage to contain him

Not if the defenses are stacking 9 in the box and keying in on Ivory because the Jets passing game is non existant.
Exactly.

Cant believe we let IV get away. Thats crazy!!!:idunno: Hope Cadet can fill those shoes.
Ivory will do very well in N.Y.

Further proof that it was Joe Vitt and not Ivory that gave a spark to our running game:

Without Joe Vitt, our runningbacks (combined) averaged this per game:

20 carries for 76 yards. 3.7 ypc average.

With Joe Vitt, our runningbacks (combined) averaged this per game:

25 carries for 115 yards. 4.6 ypc average

Mark Ingram:

Without Vitt: 44 carries 127 yards. 2.9 ypc average

With Vitt: 112 carries 475 yards. 4.2 ypc average

Pierre Thomas

Without Vitt: 50 carries 214 yards. 4.3 ypc average

With Vitt: 55 carries 259 yards. 4.7 ypc average

So there you have it. Our running game got better because of Vitt. Not because of Ivory. /end thread

I hope Ivory does well, except when playing the Saints, of course. He'll need some good play to try to avoid being a part of the circus that is the New York Jets' front office and coaching staff. And yes, I am aware the Saints employ Rex's twin brother, but Rob isn't in charge of the team. A coordinator can get away with all the brash talk. A head coach can't.

Further proof that it was Joe Vitt and not Ivory that gave a spark to our running game:

Without Joe Vitt, our runningbacks (combined) averaged this per game:

20 carries for 76 yards. 3.7 ypc average.

With Joe Vitt, our runningbacks (combined) averaged this per game:

25 carries for 115 yards. 4.6 ypc average

Mark Ingram:

Without Vitt: 44 carries 127 yards. 2.9 ypc average

With Vitt: 112 carries 475 yards. 4.2 ypc average

Pierre Thomas

Without Vitt: 50 carries 214 yards. 4.3 ypc average

With Vitt: 55 carries 259 yards. 4.7 ypc average

So there you have it. Our running game got better because of Vitt. Not because of Ivory. /end thread

Luckily someone is able to dig through the numbers and underline the main factor why the Saints' RBs played better after a certain point of last season. In fact the return of Joe Vitt produced two direct effects: the first one is that it enabled Kromer to focus once again solely on the OL' effectiveness, the second one is that Carmichael Jr. called the games differently, especially the running plays (less inside and predictable runs, more variety).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom