N/S Clayton from ESPN reports Halls deal with the Raiders (per rotoworld)(**merged**) (1 Viewer)

Report I heard by Clayton on ESPN earlier says they are 20mil over the Cap now and are trying to figure out how to fix it before the deadline.
that has to be wrong because as of March 1st every teams top 53 salarys count aginst the cap and that number has to be below the salary cap. If they go over the cap the league wouldn't approve the contract that is signed for that team.

hmm, maybe Clayton means that paying Hall the type of money he wants will put them 20m over then.

that has to be wrong because as of March 1st every teams top 53 salarys count aginst the cap and that number has to be below the salary cap. If they go over the cap the league wouldn't approve the contract that is signed for that team.

Maybe thats been the hold-up on the trade?

It also means that they don't have a rookie pool for their draft choices--wonder what that #4 pick is going for? ;)

I'm guessing the league allows a limited time to renegotiate contracts and make cuts to meet the cap limit. That, and they can agree to a contract--just can't sign it and turn it in to the League Office, until they get below the cap.

If it's true they are over the cap by that much, you can be sure that Al's folks have been working the phones trying to deal NA, or anyone else that could command some trade value instead of just releasing them. (Of course, signing him to a regular contract would give them some relief, too--spread out instead of the lump sum payment for the Franchise Tag.)

Nnamdi Asomugha counts close to 10 million on the Raiders cap this year currently... they just spent 50 million on Kelly... 50 million on Javon.... now 50 million on Hall... I think over 50 million on Russel last year.... and they have the #4 overall pick this year... how in the hell can they afford to keep Asomugha at his current figure, or even re-sign him at this point.

I mean... they have to trade or release him into FA... right? No way can they afford him now or going forward.

If they make any cuts...I'm predicting Micheal Huff . They are said to be really unhappy with him....but his cap# would be big.

They already have players on rookie contracts in Huff and Washington, but still aren't making chump change, they just signed DHall, and they have tagged NA.

I don't think they can pay 100 million dollars for 2 CBs...that means NA might be on his way out and they just re-sign Washington for less. Way too much money tied up in that secondary.

Also, isn't DHall absolutely a perfect Raider/Al Davis player? Tons of talent, workout warrior, mediocre actual on the field of play, a bit of an attitude problem.

where are they getting the money? they will be in cap hell. look for some big time cuts very soon

They will pick up 12-15 potential pro-bowlers who will account for 98% of their cap space and then cut the rest of the team.

The NFL will have it's first two way team in ages and it will be pretty interesting for most of the first half of their first game.

And Al Davis overpays for yet another mediocre player. He's not a bad corner, but he isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. Just a middle-of-the-road kind of guy at his position.

Can you say Cap Hell?

I think I figured out what the 20 million is from. when NA signs his tender it will add 10 million to the cap add on restricted free agents and the rookie pool it probably goes to around 20 mill.

Sounds like the Raiders to give up a first round pick for Hall. It's going to hard for Atlanta to replace Hall.

I think it'll be easy for them to find another overrated CB who gambles to much and gets burned regularly.

This guy getting 6 years 50 million is just funny.

I would doubt that the Raiders would want to trade NA. They just gave him the exclusive franchise tag (I'm not sure if this is the right term), basically meaning that the last thing they want is to lose him. NA is still young and in his prime. Al prefers veterans over rookies, especially when he has to give an unproven rookie millions in guarantees and a huge up front signing bonus. I think it still ****** AL off that he paid Jamarcus Russell all that money and got next to nothing from him. I'm thinking Al wants to bail out of the #4 slot, maybe even for less than market value. This may give the Saints the opening they need to acquire one of the elite DTs. This is all assuming that the Raiders will indeed be in cap hell if the D. Hall trade is consummated.

http://mvn.com/nfl-raiders/2008/03/...n-to-long-term-deal-with-the-oakland-raiders/

My god! By my quick calculations, even though this deal must be heavily incentive based and back loaded, the Raiders are roughly 26 million over the cap.
With a top 5 pick to sign and Hall they aren't going to sign the CBA and the league is going into meltdown thanks to Al Davis and his non functioning brain but ever functioning wallet

If Al Davis now trades NA, who is a much better corner then Hall, he is offically the dumbest person ever. If it wasn't offical already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom