N/s cox cable (1 Viewer)

Both have HD channels now but neither is airing programs in "true HD quality". if you watched the Hornets game last night and switched between ESPN-HD and CST-HD there was a huge difference in the quality. And if you watch Total Access on the NFL network HD channel you will see a graphic on either side of the screen which means it is still in a 4:3 standard tv mode and it is not being shown in the 16:9 true HD format. Which really surprises me for the NFL Network.

Yep, NFLN doesn't have the broadcast in HD yet or at least any of the shows I have seen. I have 70+ HD channels on Direct TV and have had NFLN HD for many months. I always find it funny when folks with cable get so excited when a new HD channel comes out that direct has had for a year. Most times people with cable are paying more money for a yet less lol.

Just switch to Direct TV!!!!!

nfln

son of a ***** I read this thread, hit my guide button and found out that we didnt get nfln in NO. Guess I should of read more than the opening post

You should have NFLN on the regular digital sports tier. I don't remember what channel.

Yep, NFLN doesn't have the broadcast in HD yet or at least any of the shows I have seen. I have 70+ HD channels on Direct TV and have had NFLN HD for many months. I always find it funny when folks with cable get so excited when a new HD channel comes out that direct has had for a year. Most times people with cable are paying more money for a yet less lol.

Just switch to Direct TV!!!!!

yeah, but with direct tv.. if a pigeion farts next to the dish, your signal goes out.

yeah, but with direct tv.. if a pigeion farts next to the dish, your signal goes out.

I always hear people say that and it's not further from the truth. Where do you think cable companies get broadcast signals? Sattelites just like Direct TV.

In fact, my Direct TV goes out less than my cable has. Even in the heaviest rain storms I RARELY lose a signal. If I do it's for less than a minute.

The myth that signals go out frequently with a dish is simply BS. It's simply something that the cable companies promote because they can't beat any dish network in price or packages.

Yes Cox says HD service is FREE but you need to rent the box to get it, So is it really free?

You don't have to rent the box. I have cox in New Orleans and have a cable card. Now I do have to rent the cablecard for $2 a month.

And we've had Cox 737 with the Hornets for a long time.

New Orleans usually gets the HD channels first then BR and other areas. Not sure why.

I always hear people say that and it's not further from the truth. Where do you think cable companies get broadcast signals? Sattelites just like Direct TV.

In fact, my Direct TV goes out less than my cable has. Even in the heaviest rain storms I RARELY lose a signal. If I do it's for less than a minute.

The myth that signals go out frequently with a dish is simply BS. It's simply something that the cable companies promote because they can't beat any dish network in price or packages.

So, I guess the people on SR.com that have said their signal with Direct TV goes out in heavy rain or snow all work for the Cable Companies.

People do experience that problem. Likely not as much as they did years ago.

I used to have Direct TV and when it rained or when it was a bit too cloudy, my signal would go out. I've had both, and while Direct TV DOES offer way more HD channels and is cheaper, but I'd rather not have to curse at the TV everytime it rains.

Last edited:
I wish we had COX here in Hammond. I have Charter and I hate it. We can't get NFL NEtWORK nor can we see the Hornets games. It is pathetic to me. COX need to come this way towards Tangipahoa.

So, I guess the people on SR.com that have said their signal with Direct TV goes out in heavy rain or snow all work for the Cable Companies.

All I'm saying is that nearly all my friends and I have Direct TV and it does not go out every time it rains like I hear a lot of people claim. When people state that satelite isn't any good because it goes out whenever it rains must have bad luck because it's not what I have experienced at all. Why should I believe people that say it goes out whenever it rains, when I know for fact it does not because I own it?

We get a LOT of rain where I am at and my Direct TV rarely goes out even in HEAVY rain and it has NEVER gone out due to snow. When it does go out due to heavy rain it cuts out for less than a minute max.

Like I said earlier...Where do you think the cable company gets it's signals? That's right, satelite.

Not that I think they work for the cable company but I simply don't believe them I guess. Like I said above my experience and all of my friends experience has been that it rarely goes out. Do I believe my own experience and everyone I know or just trust someone elses word that it goes out all the time and my friends and I are just lucky?

Last edited:
You don't have to rent the box. I have cox in New Orleans and have a cable card. Now I do have to rent the cablecard for $2 a month.

And we've had Cox 737 with the Hornets for a long time.

New Orleans usually gets the HD channels first then BR and other areas. Not sure why.

you are right about that you can get it with the cable card, but I know that alot of ppl rather have a box because you can't get all the extra features ( guide, DVR, and On Demand). I know at one time there were problems with the cablecard not being able to receive the new HD channels. Also Cox BR has more hd channels than in in New Orleans. Cox BR has all the locals and Cox N.O. still doesn't have WDSU. DOn't let the issue about WDSU not having an owner fool you. Cox had the chance to get WDSU HD before that problem came up.

actually I had DirecTV when I lived in New Orleans and it was odd. It would go out in heavy rain or if it was very very cloudy, but not in heavy winds. One time it did go out due to what the representative called "Too much sun exposure". I loved DirecTV though. I have Cox digital now because of the Hornets...i never though that Cox and DirecTV would strike a deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom