N/S - Crazy Coaching stat I heard on the radio this morning (1 Viewer)

Penguin

Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Across the 4 major sports, of the last 123 championships, only 1 was won by a coach NOT in the first 5 years of his tenure (or a repeat winner). The only exception is Bill Cowher, who got to the Super Bowl in year 4, but did not win it until years later.

Dan Quinn is in year 5
Jason Garrett is in year 9
Ron Rivera is in year 9

There are several other non-championship coaches in the NFL that are more than 5 years into their tenure, but I can't remember the ones they listed.

On average, NFL head coaches do not even last 5 seasons. So chances are, when a coach wins his FIRST Super Bowl, it will be withnin the first 5 seasons or he will get fired. Quinn and Rivera appeared in a Super Bowl, so that has helped their longevity. Garrett must have something on Jerry. Lol

Last edited:
On average, NFL head coaches do not even last 5 seasons. So chances are, when a coach wins his FIRST Super Bowl, it will be withnin the first 5 seasons or he will get fired. Quinn and Rivera appeared in a Super Bowl, so that has helped their longevity. Garrett must have something on Jerry. Lol

yeah, I was going to ask what the average life expectancy of a coach in a major league sport was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom