N/S Deer antler spray is for wimps... (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I got this in an email from a friend, and I'm not sure where he got it from, but man these dudes will go to any extreme for an advantage. While this stuff wasn't on the "banned substance list"... do you really want something that was meant for horses to go into your bloodstream?

Former Cowboys defensive lineman Tony Casillas says that when the team was
winning Super Bowls in the 1990s, players frequently used a medication meant
for horses.

Asked on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas about Ray Lewis's alleged use of a banned
substance contained in deer antler spray, Casillas said he doesn't know
about that - but he does know about another substance that was prevalent in
the Cowboys' locker room.

"When I heard about deer antler spray, when I heard that, I said, 'That's
nothing,'" Casillas said. "We used to use this stuff called DMSO. That's
what veterinarians put on horses, on a muscle, so this is stuff that you can
rub, and we used it in the locker room. We had a bottle and you'd take it.
It goes straight to the bloodstream. And I'm not sure about this deer antler
stuff, but, I mean, it was prevalent in our locker room. It's called DMSO.
You get it from the veterinarian and it goes right to the bloodstream. It's
an ointment that's like anti-inflammatory. You put it on your skin and you
put it on a muscle, and I guarantee you, in about 30 minutes you'd feel it.
It wasn't on the list. If you're going to talk about the deer antler stuff,
we used DMSO and people knew it. Everyone knew about it."

DMSO is an abbreviation for dimethyl sulfoxide, and although it is rarely
mentioned in performance-enhancing drug scandals these days, its use by
athletes was the source of some controversies in the 1980s and 1990s. In
1981, then-Falcons quarterback June Jones said he and his teammates
regularly used DMSO and argued that it should be legalized for human use.
Although veterinarians prescribe DMSO for animals as an anti-inflammatory,
the FDA has approved DMSO only for very limited use for people with a
chronic bladder condition, and has warned that DMSO is often fraudulently
marketed as a miracle drug for humans, and that it has significant side
effects.

Casillas noted that "it wasn't on the list" of substances banned by the NFL,
although he also seemed to acknowledge that it was improper for Cowboys
players to obtain a prescription from a veterinarian and then use the
substance on humans.

"Let's put it this way: If you've got to get it from a veterinarian, it's
probably - it's kind of like getting Winstrol V, they've got to get it from
a vet, but that's a steroid," he said.

Casillas made his comments in a radio appearance in which he promoted a
health center that urges men to get their testosterone levels checked and to
take prescription testosterone if their levels are low. But in that case,
men are getting testosterone from a medical doctor, not a veterinarian.

I remember that stuff from talks in college. I don't think it actually does anything it's self, but is a like bio solvent or some such. It helps things absorb through skin better or that wouldn't absorb normally. I'm guessing they actually were using it to penetrate other substances (steroids/painkillers) into the skin. I remember it having bad side effects

I used DMSO on my knee in high school. It worked great but it gives you a bad garlic taste in your mouth.

I used DMSO on my knee in high school. It worked great but it gives you a bad garlic taste in your mouth.

I ran on a track scholarship at a D-1 school in the late 70s and early 80s. DMSO was easy to get and a number of runners used it for injuries -- I personally never used it but my roommate had an Achilles injury one season that he treated with the stuff. He broke 4 minutes for the mile that year so I guess it helped him. And I do remember him and several other runners talking about the garlic taste.

DMSO is a byproduct during paper production.....

DMSO isn't used for cattle (not that I know of), but Finiplix-H is given to cattle. Combining DMSO along with Finiplix-H (trenbolone, an anabolic steroid) has a dramatic impact on building muscle in humans. Finiplix-H comes in a pellet form, sold by vets, which is then ground up into a powder and combined with DMSO. The compound is then absorbed directly into the bloodstream by applying to the body in places like the neck, shoulders, etc. This method has been around in bodybuilding/powerlifting circles for a minute.

DMSO is an organic solvent. We use it in biochem lab all the time to dissolve collagen, which is primarily what scar tissue is made of.

I remember reading a long Sports Illustrated story about DMSO more than three decades ago. Took me a minute to find it on line, but here it is:

Many athletes call DMSO a wonder drug, saying it heals - 04.20.81 - SI Vault

Some interesting excerpts:

All over the country athletes say they are getting results with DMSO. Some Dallas Cowboys and some Rams and Raiders use it, but under the guise of what an NFL spokesman calls "experimentation." . . . Others are naturally careful about unapproved medication, like the Orioles' Doug DeCinces. "They use it on horses," he says. "Horses only compete for three or four years. I want this body to last a lot longer than that. I've got a bad back. Do they know what it does to the liver?"

Even physicians disagree about the effectiveness of DMSO. Dr. Frank Jobe, orthopedist for the Dodgers and a founder of the National Athletic Health Institute, says, "It's quite spectacular on soft-tissue injuries like sprains, contusions, bursitis and tendinitis. It could revolutionize sports medicine." Dr. Robert Kerlan, another renowned sports orthopedist and a founder, with Jobe, of the NAHI, says, "DMSO has some medicinal benefits, but curing routine sports injuries isn't one of them. It's almost useless for athletes."

One of the first sports figures to use DMSO was Sam Bell, currently the track coach at Indiana University. ". . . In 1965 Pierre Piloté of the Chicago Black Hawks treated a dislocated shoulder with DMSO and was able to resume skating immediately. Also in 1965 when Sandy Koufax recovered quickly from a nagging elbow problem to pitch brilliantly in the World Series, many insiders were convinced that DMSO had done it. Koufax always denied it, and recently the Dodgers' trainer, Bill Buhler, said, "I tried it on Koufax. The only thing we got was a dry, chapped elbow."

Satchel Paige's Magic Snake Oil, which was rubbed onto his geriatric arm in the 1950s, was thought to contain DMSO, but the old Cards' trainer, Doc Bauman, says, "It was just chloroform liniment with cologne in it to cut the smell."

By 1968 DMSO was stinking up NFL locker rooms. Former Raider Quarterback Daryle Lamonica, who testified about DMSO at a Senate subcommittee hearing on medical research last summer, says, "One day I jammed my right thumb in practice and it hurt so much I couldn't make a fist. The trainer put DMSO on it and in 15 minutes the swelling and pain were gone; in 24 hours I was throwing again. It didn't work on a torn ligament, but without it I wouldn't have won the passing title in '69. A lot of us used it—Pete Banaszak, Jim Otto, Ben Davidson, other guys. And the only side effect we ever noticed was body odor and incredibly bad breath. It's a smell you don't forget. I got on an elevator in Washington after testifying and I smelled it. I was so excited I yelled. 'Who's using DMSO around here?" and a guy raised his hand."

The 49ers' outstanding guard, Randy Cross, a confirmed DMSO user, says, "The breath thing is awful. It's death breath. It makes for a lot wider huddle."

NFL trainers are reluctant to discuss the drug. One says, "Maybe the stuff would help, but if I give it to a player, he can sue me in 10 years if he has trouble. Players are winning those suits."

The 49ers' Cross started using DMSO on his own—for a wrist injury—after his mother told him it relieved her arthritis. "I applied it once a day during the season," he says. "In football things keep hurting. About half of our team uses it. When we played New Orleans, a Saints player* wanted some, so we gave it to him. The guy complained that the bottle read 'For horses and dogs.' I told him most people think we're horses, anyway."

The Raiders' orthopedic consultant, Dr. Robert Albo, says, "Every NFL player has tried it. They'd be crazy not to. Athletes are looking for the panacea that will get them back a game earlier, allow them to play one more season. But you have to be careful with it. I always ask, "What DMSO? From where?' "

*Anyone wanna guess who that Saints player was?

DMSO absorbs through the skin fast, I always thought people used it to carry poison into people, but I guess you could carry something else, maybe I'm wrong.

It makes you smell like Bogalusa. My wife used to get treatments for where they would fill her bladder with DMSO and other medicines and make her hold it for a long period of time.

DMSO causes extreme blood circulation upon contact, so the medicine would absorb better. But she reeked of the stuff for a couple of days. Horrible smell, much worse than garlic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom