N/S: DeSean Jackson (WR, Cal) enters draft. (2 Viewers)

jackson thinks he is better than he really is and isnt much more than a special teams player right now, imo. lavelle hawkins is the better california receiver. and he can return kicks just as well.

jackson thinks he is better than he really is and isnt much more than a special teams player right now, imo. lavelle hawkins is the better california receiver. and he can return kicks just as well.

we're set at reciever, when meachem comes in he'll be a beast
we need a special teams threat because payton doesn't want/trust (not sure wich) reggie in there

the difference between us and Miami

1. We don't need a QB

2. We do need defensive playmakers.

3. Our lack of need for a QB is largely due to his ability to make three undrafted WRs, and a fourth that was almost undrafted, power a premier passing attack.

4. Chris Chambers.

3. Our lack of need for a QB is largely due to his ability to make three undrafted WRs, and a fourth that was almost undrafted, power a premier passing attack.

4. Chris Chambers.

Yeah but if we add legitimate talent to the WR position we could have a corp of Colston, a healthy Meachem, and Desean Jackson (who I can fairly assume has better hands than DH). We could use a deep threat and Jackson has comparable speed to Henderson. While Brees made our mostly undrafted WR corps into a premier corps as you say, then imagine what he could do with real talent.

Like others have said it depends on what we do in free agency. If we take care of business there I think we have the luxury of picking BPA. We shouldn't handcuff ourselves to pick a defensive player at #10 no matter who's available.

I am not advocating that we pick Jackson at 10 or even strongly consider picking him unless he runs in the legitimate 4.2s. I recognize our needs practically everywhere on defense and for a stronger offensive line (10 is too high for an interior line pick but not for the right tackle, unless this coaching staff is more comfortable with its tackles than I think they are).

Jackson is not simply a weapon on offense, but would be a special teams weapon--helping two of the three units. However, he is small and slight in frame, and lacks the prototype size Payton likes in his receivers.

The point of this post is this: Some people seem to be penciling in Meachen at wide receiver. I will concede the coaching staff has a much, much better idea of what we can expect from Meachen than I or anyone else posting on this Meachem. But I have not read or heard a reassuring thing from any media member covering this team that Meachem last year showed anything to justify the optimism of some of this board. We have not heard people gushing about his raw ability or suggesting that it is just a matter of time.

Meachem made a big thud last year that went beyong his relatively minor knee problem. If Meachem is not the answer, wide receiver is a major need for the Saints. But there probably is not a receiver in this draft who just go as high as 10.

Last edited:
Yeah but if we add legitimate talent to the WR position we could have a corp of Colston, a healthy Meachem, and Desean Jackson (who I can fairly assume has better hands than DH). We could use a deep threat and Jackson has comparable speed to Henderson. While Brees made our mostly undrafted WR corps into a premier corps as you say, then imagine what he could do with real talent.

Like others have said it depends on what we do in free agency. If we take care of business there I think we have the luxury of picking BPA. We shouldn't handcuff ourselves to pick a defensive player at #10 no matter who's available.

yes desean has good hands and is fast but meachem is .02 seconds faster than devery, he runs a 4.36 and henderson runs a 4.38, so there's out deep threat

4. Chris Chambers.

I'm confused... Chris Chambers plays for the Chargers; the Dolphins traded him earlier this season.

never draft a WR in the first round.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

theres no doubt in my mind that meachem is slower than henderson. dont believe all the numbers you read. D-Hall from atl is said to have run a 4.1 in the forty, and henderson smoked him on the deep ball along with many others.

I am not advocating that we pick Jackson at 10 or even strongly consider picking him unless he runs in the legitimate 4.2s. I recognize our needs practically everywhere on defense and for a stronger offensive line (10 is too high for an interior line pick but not for the right tackle, unless this coaching staff is more comfortable with its tackles than I think they are).

Jackson is not simply a weapon on offense, but would be a special teams weapon--helping two of the three units. However, he is small and slight in frame, and lacks the prototype size Payton likes in his receivers.

The point of this post is this: Some people seem to be penciling in Meachen at wide receiver. I will concede the coaching staff has a much, much better idea of what we can expect from Meachen than I or anyone else posting on this Meachem. But I have not read or heard a reassuring thing from any media member covering this team that Meachem last year showed anything to justify the optimism of some of this board. We have not heard people gushing about his raw ability or suggesting that it is just a matter of time.

Meachem made a big thud last year that went beyong his relatively minor knee problem. If Meachem is not the answer, wide receiver is a major need for the Saints. But there probably is not a receiver in this draft who just go as high as 10.

I'll bet the BEars aren't 2nd-guessing their decision to take Hester in the 2nd... they knew exactly what they were doing... most of the "experts" blasted the Bears because Hester graded near the bottom as a CB... folks thought they were taking him to be a CB... little did they know.

Jackson is a WR... with that freakish return ability... so he won't have to adjust to the other side of the abll as Hester does... he won't have to learn how to run routes... he has good hands alread, so no need to turn him into something that he's not.

If jackson is the BPA... then we should take him... there's FA, the rest of the draft... UDFA... and June 1st cuts to fill holes on defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom