N/S Discussion - Mike Alstott HOF? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many of those numbers came from him getting the ball from the fullback position and not lined up as a tailback?

So none of Reggie Bush's numbers when he lines up in the slot should count?

None of LT's numbers when he splits wide should count?

None of Brian Westbrooks numbers should count when he lines up in the slot?

Try again. Mike Alstott was a Fullback. Period. Just because he lined up in the tailback slot from time to time makes no difference.

No way. His Pro-Bowls don't really mean anything, IMO. All those years, he was voted in as a fullback for stats that he accumulated from the HB position. He's not a HoF-er in my opinion. Not even close.

Last edited:
No way. His Pro-Bowls don't really mean anything, IMO. All those years, he was voted in as a fullback for stats that he accumulated from the HB position. He's not a HoF-er in my opinion. Not even close.

So what does it take for a FB to get in? Alstott was the best Fullback in the last 20 years, and that isn't good enough?

That is a bit of an issue. FB or RB? As a FB, he was average, but I remember him being a pretty good lead block and pass blocker. As a RB though, his number don't add up in his favor. I think he won't make it because of that. His bread and butter and his claim to fame will be his biggest detractor to him getting in.

IMO, great talent for a guy his size and he did some really good things. I agree with the Bucs HOF, but I'd be a bit questionable if he gets the NFL HOF vote.

So what does it take for a FB to get in? Alstott was the best Fullback in the last 20 years, and that isn't good enough?

As many people have pointed out to you, Alstott really wasn't ever a true fullback. He made a name for himself playing tailback, so if we're going to judge Alstott as a player, his best chance of getting in would be as a tailback, and from that perspective, his numbers are ridiculously low compared to others who are far more deserving.

As many people have pointed out to you, Alstott really wasn't ever a true fullback. He made a name for himself playing tailback, so if we're going to judge Alstott as a player, his best chance of getting in would be as a tailback, and from that perspective, his numbers are ridiculously low compared to others who are far more deserving.

So now we don't count rushing yards when talking about fullbacks? Since when? And as I have pointed out, just because he lined up in the tailback spot once in a while does not make him any less of a fullback.

In fact, I think that makes him MORE impressive, because he was able to redefine the fullback position in an age where most fullbacks could only block.

So your argument against him, I think is an argument FOR him. As a FULLBACK, he had great rushing numbers.

So now we don't count rushing yards when talking about fullbacks? Since when? And as I have pointed out, just because he lined up in the tailback spot once in a while does not make him any less of a fullback.

In fact, I think that makes him MORE impressive, because he was able to redefine the fullback position in an age where most fullbacks could only block.

So your argument against him, I think is an argument FOR him. As a FULLBACK, he had great rushing numbers.

He never re-defined the fullback position. Fullbacks had been catching and carrying the ball long before Alstott made a name for himself.

Look, he was a great player. But was he hall-of-fame worthy? I can't see very many voters buying into that. He was barely even one of the top 5 players on his team throughout his career.

Larry Centers 6797 rec yards/ rush yards 2188/ 42 total touchdowns. Does he belong?

He never re-defined the fullback position. Fullbacks had been catching and carrying the ball long before Alstott made a name for himself.

Look, he was a great player. But was he hall-of-fame worthy? I can't see very many voters buying into that. He was barely even one of the top 5 players on his team throughout his career.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. In my mind, in the SB year alone, he was the 2nd best player on the team. Best on the offense.

So none of Reggie Bush's numbers when he lines up in the slot should count?

None of LT's numbers when he splits wide should count?

None of Brian Westbrooks numbers should count when he lines up in the slot?

Try again. Mike Alstott was a Fullback. Period. Just because he lined up in the tailback slot from time to time makes no difference.

I am asking a question, just like you are. I'm sorry that not everyone agrees with you and your close-minded approach to this topic. I'm not going to try again, it's pointless to argue with someone who doesn't want to hear dissenting opinions.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. In my mind, in the SB year alone, he was the 2nd best player on the team. Best on the offense.

Which was an incredibly bad offense. :hihi: 2nd best on the team? No way. Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, and Warren Sapp would definitely go ahead of him, IMO.

You've brought up valid points. But when it comes to putting him in the HoF, I just think the immediate, visceral reaction of the voters will be 'no.'

I am asking a question, just like you are. I'm sorry that not everyone agrees with you and your close-minded approach to this topic. I'm not going to try again, it's pointless to argue with someone who doesn't want to hear dissenting opinions.

Ah yes. I disagree with you, so that means I'm close-minded. Do you know what that word means? Being close minded means that you refuse to hear any other options.

I read what was said. I took that into account. I just disagree with that opinion. So, I AM being open-minded about it. It's just that I think that particular opinion is ungrounded.

Mack Strong and Lo Neal are deserving , and are real fullbacks . Alstott's blocking is not representative of a HOF fullback IMO , and his production carrying the ball isn't impressive enough to compensate , again IMO . Bucs Hall , as others have said , but no NFL HOF .

Mack Strong and Lo Neal are deserving , and are real fullbacks . Alstott's blocking is not representative of a HOF fullback IMO , and his production carrying the ball isn't impressive enough to compensate , again IMO . Bucs Hall , as others have said , but no NFL HOF .

See, regarding Strong and Lo Neal, I go the opposite. I think Lo Neal is nowhere NEAR deserving of a HOF bid. He's a decent blocker, but he's been in the league for 15 years vs. Alstott's 12 years, and Neal has 732 career yards. So while his blocking might be good enough to get in...MAYBE....his other facets of the game are horrendous.

Same with Strong. 15 years, 900 career yards.

In fact, bringing up Lo Neal and Strong just make Alsott look that much more impressive. Comparing Lo Neal and Strong to Alstott is kind of like comparing Todd Martin to Drew Brees.

I also find it hilarious that fellow Saints fans are knocking Alstott for not being a prototypical Fullback. These same Saints fans praise Reggie for the same thing.

Double standard anyone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom