N/S Discussion - Mike Alstott HOF? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? When I look at the Hall of Fame, I look at it per position. Why try to compare Dan Marino to an offensive lineman? Why try to compare Johnny Unitas to a placekicker?

By your argument, no fullback or place kicker would ever get into the HOF. You can't do that. You have to look at it WITHIN the position. And WITHIN the fullback position, Alstott is one of the 5 or 6 best ever to play it.

Alstott was a fullback on the depth chart only. During his best years he was taking more snaps out of the tailback slot than he was from the fullback position. You can try and compare his stats to other fullbacks, but it doesn’t do any good when he wasn’t really playing fullback most of the time. Sorry, but people are going to take those sort of things into consideration when judging a player for the Hall of Fame. Alstott was a good (but not great) lead blocker, and he was a good (but not great) primary rusher, and he was a good (but not great) receiving threat out of the backfield. All of those things add up to being a good (but not great) player. And as someone else here pointed out, it’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good (or even the Hall of Good in this case).

Alstott, no doubt, was a class act throughout his career, but unfortunately (in my opinion) he is not a HOFer. In all the years we played the Bucs I never woke up the morning of the game and said to myself “Holy crap, we have to deal with John Alstott today.”

You’ve mentioned how we don’t discredit Reggie or Westbrook’s receiving numbers when they line up in the slot, and you’re right; we don’t. But Westbrook probably won’t be getting into the Hall of Fame either (even though he is much more deserving than Alstott) for the same reason; although he was probably the best rushing/receiving threat in the league after Marshall Faulk, he wasn’t quite good enough in either of those categories to warrant being enshrined in Canton. The same standard will apply to Reggie Bush as his career progresses.

When it’s all said and done, Alstott will be remembered as a consummate pro, a Sunday warrior, and a great Buc. But he won’t be remembered as a Hall of Famer.

Alstott was a fullback on the depth chart only. During his best years he was taking more snaps out of the tailback slot than he was from the fullback position. You can try and compare his stats to other fullbacks, but it doesn’t do any good when he wasn’t really playing fullback most of the time. Sorry, but people are going to take those sort of things into consideration when judging a player for the Hall of Fame. Alstott was a good (but not great) lead blocker, and he was a good (but not great) primary rusher, and he was a good (but not great) receiving threat out of the backfield. All of those things add up to being a good (but not great) player. And as someone else here pointed out, it’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good (or even the Hall of Good in this case).

Alstott, no doubt, was a class act throughout his career, but unfortunately (in my opinion) he is not a HOFer. In all the years we played the Bucs I never woke up the morning of the game and said to myself “Holy crap, we have to deal with John Alstott today.”

You’ve mentioned how we don’t discredit Reggie or Westbrook’s receiving numbers when they line up in the slot, and you’re right; we don’t. But Westbrook probably won’t be getting into the Hall of Fame either (even though he is much more deserving than Alstott) for the same reason; although he was probably the best rushing/receiving threat in the league after Marshall Faulk, he wasn’t quite good enough in either of those categories to warrant being enshrined in Canton. The same standard will apply to Reggie Bush as his career progresses.

When it’s all said and done, Alstott will be remembered as a consummate pro, a Sunday warrior, and a great Buc. But he won’t be remembered as a Hall of Famer.

John Alstott. :smilielol:

He's not a Hall of Famer for the simple fact that no team was scared of him beating them. A Hall of Famer, first and foremost must be able to take a game over consistently. Alstott simply does not fit that criteria.

Wasn't Jerome Bettis listed as a fullback earlier in his career? So couldn't we compare their stats too?

John Alstott. :smilielol:

Whoops. I started to type something about I was always worried about JOHN Lynch, Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp and Ronde Barber, but instead I shortened it just to say that I wasn't worried about Mike Alstott. I guess the John stayed instead of the Mike. Sue me.

Alstott is one of my favorite players in the NFL for so many reasons, he should definately go to the League HOF and Buc's HOF, the dude is a treasure and i wish most Football players were like him, a very good Role model and a good guy and was a fantastic ball player that gave it his all, played for the wrong team though but was very devoted to his beloved town.

Im sorry to see people think he doesn't deserve this honor. I hope the league see's it my way and put him in.

This may be the most absurd thread I've come across in a long time. Apparently there needs to be some serious education on football occuring. I guess Spam, Postman, et al now knows how it feels teaching to students who refuse to learn.

There really isn't anything to say that will get in there, so it just isn't worth the effort.

Whoops. I started to type something about I was always worried about JOHN Lynch, Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp and Ronde Barber, but instead I shortened it just to say that I wasn't worried about Mike Alstott. I guess the John stayed instead of the Mike. Sue me.

Depends on what you got.

Relax, man. Just ribbin ya.

. He was the best fullback receiver in the last 20 years. He was top 5 blocker from the FB position in the last 20 years.

Sorry, dem's the facts. .

Centers, Larry Receiving stats 827 rec 6797 yds 28 TD 7 fumbles lost
Rathman, Tom Receiving stats 320 rec 2684 yds 8 TD 1 fumble lost
Alstott, Mike Receiving stats 305 rec 2284 yds 13 TD 25 fumbles lost

so he wasn't the best fullback receiver in the last 20 years.

Top 5 blocker? How many RB's had 1000 yd seasons while Alstott was a Buc?

1998 Dunn (P.S. Lorenzo Neal was the fullback for the Bucs that year)
2000 Dunn
2005 Williams

two in which he would have been the starting FB. Not top 5 blocker either.

Alstott? No chance.

If he does, then Terrell Davis better get in also. His issue is an injury, but stats are stats. And I'm leaning toward no on that too.

Now, Curtis Martin had over 14,000 yards and 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons...he's in.

Last edited:
I remember a time when Alstott was the Bucs only Offensive threat. I think he was a great player and much better at blocking than he's given credit for. I've watched him lead with some crushing hits.
I think he's worthy.

Alstott was a mediocre blocker. Lorenzo Neal is much more deserving if we're talking about fullbacks going.

Westbrook is a guy that creates serious matchup issues b/c you don't know what package to put on the field to defend him. That's why his rec numbers factor in.

Alstott was a guy who ran up most of his numbers at tailback, often behind another guy playing fullback. He was a solid player, not an incredible one, and no where near a hall of famer.

It's like me saying Mike Vrabel is a hall of famer because his TD numbers blow other LBs out the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom