N/S Discussion - Mike Alstott HOF? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristang

Banned
Reaction score
Yes or no?

Let's put aside the fact that he played for the Bucs. Keep in mind that he played the fullback position, and the last fullback to get in was Csonka who stopped playing in 1979. In this day and age of high flying offenses and trick plays, the pound it out position of fullback has been relegated to just being a blocker. I think you have to take the position he played into account.

These are the FB's listed in the HOF and their stats, along with Alstott:

Bronko Nagurski - 1930-1937, 1943

4031 yards All NFL 5 years (akin to Pro Bowl), 9 seasons

Clarke Hinkle - 1932-1941

3,860 yards

Ernie Nevers 1926-1927, 1929-1931

Stats unavailable

Larry Csonka 1968-1979

8,081 yards, 68 TDs, 106 receptions

Joe Perry 1948-1960, 1963

9,723 yards, 260 receptions, 3 pro bowls, 2,800 yards receiving

Jim Taylor 1958-1966

8,597 yards, 225 receptions, 2,000 receiving yards

Mike Alstott

5,088 yards, 58 TDs, 305 receptions, 6 pro bowls, 2,284 yards receiving
3.7 yards per carry average for his career

What stands out to me is his ypc. For a Fullback, 3.7 yards per carry is pretty good for a 12 year career. My vote is obviously yes, after 28 years it is time to put in another fullback.

No.

Allstott was a very good football player and i liked him a lot. However, he was not a good fullback. For all that size he was never a very good blocker. He was a solid hard nosed running back who could catch.

My vote would go to Tom Rathman from the hated 49ers or Moose Johnson from the cowboys.

I don't think of Alstot as a FB. I think of him as a good RB with power and hands. He was the heart and soul of the Bucs, and deserves to go to the Buc HOF. But not the NFL HOF. I would put Lo-Neal, Moose or Rathman above him.

Yes - definitely.

Alstott, despite playing for the Bucs, are one of my favorite players.

I met him a few years ago when my husband (bucs fan) made me go to Bucs training camp with him. Alstott was all class and spend a lot of time talking with everyone, taking pictures and signing everything put in front of him. He took great care to talk the kids as well.

But besides that, I think he should go to the HOF because he helped define a HB/FB combo. He became the ultimate bruiser, always able to get the tough yards even when the opponents KNEW he was going to get the ball

I don't think of Alstot as a FB. I think of him as a good RB with power and hands. He was the heart and soul of the Bucs, and deserves to go to the Buc HOF. But not the NFL HOF. I would put Lo-Neal, Moose or Rathman above him.

Totally agree. It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.

Yes - definitely.

Alstott, despite playing for the Bucs, are one of my favorite players.

I met him a few years ago when my husband (bucs fan) made me go to Bucs training camp with him. Alstott was all class and spend a lot of time talking with everyone, taking pictures and signing everything put in front of him. He took great care to talk the kids as well.

But besides that, I think he should go to the HOF because he helped define a HB/FB combo. He became the ultimate bruiser, always able to get the tough yards even when the opponents KNEW he was going to get the ball

Alstott was the man. All class and all heart. The only buc I ever really liked.

Maybe some day, but not any time soon.

Alstot was a great tweener, but no where near the top of the class as a fullback, and certainly not near the top ot the RB's class.

He scored a lot of TD's for Tampa in their goalline offense, but should that make you a HoF'er?

RJ should get in on his merits long before Alstot. And RJ's got a ring too. *&^&^ -blasted 49er's....

No...

And he hasn't done anything since 2002, so it's quite annoying to hear the hero worship down here since he might as well have been retired for the past 5 seasons...

No. 12,000 yards should be the bare minimum for any offensive player at a skill position to make it into the HOF nowadays. Alstott was a very mediocre tailback who moonlighted at fullback. His numbers don't even compare favorably to players who had shortened careers because of fighting in WARS... OR players who played in shorter seasons.

No. 12,000 yards should be the bare minimum for any offensive player at a skill position to make it into the HOF nowadays. Alstott was a very mediocre tailback who moonlighted at fullback. His numbers don't even compare favorably to players who had shortened careers because of fighting in WARS... OR players who played in shorter seasons.

So, according to you then, no Fullback will ever again get into the HOF?

Nice. When looking at the FULLBACK position, Alstott had HOF numbers and abilities.

Especially in an age where the passing game is what it is. Had Alstott played in the 70s or earlier, he would have had 20,000 yards. But due to the fact that we are so into the passing game, so into not hurting players that half the teams in the league split carries withing the HALFBACK position, that leaves little to no room for the fullback to get the normal amount of carries that they used to get.

Taking all that into perspective, what Alstott accomplished is nothing short of amazing.

So, according to you then, no Fullback will ever again get into the HOF?

Nice. When looking at the FULLBACK position, Alstott had HOF numbers and abilities.

Especially in an age where the passing game is what it is. Had Alstott played in the 70s or earlier, he would have had 20,000 yards. But due to the fact that we are so into the passing game, so into not hurting players that half the teams in the league split carries withing the HALFBACK position, that leaves little to no room for the fullback to get the normal amount of carries that they used to get.

Taking all that into perspective, what Alstott accomplished is nothing short of amazing.

how many of those numbers came from him getting the ball from the fullback position and not lined up as a tailback?

Nope. Sorry, but he should be in the Buc's hall, but not the HOF.

Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, and Warren Sapp will go. But Alstott aka Smokespot and Warrick Dunn probably won't. Too bad, cause I love me some WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom