N/S - Dolphins' Bill Parcells appears willing to trade top pick (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Parcells stays put at No. 1, Virginia DE Chris Long, the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, is likely to be his pick unless Parcells determines before the April 26 draft that quarterback John Beck, the second-round pick of the previous regime, has no chance to be a player. Then he would take Ryan. Veteran Josh McCown, recently signed as a free agent, is a classic Parcells hold-the-fort guy.

Parcells left the impression he would love to trade down a few times and turn that one pick into five of the 25 to 30 new players he anticipates being on the 1-15 team he is trying to resurrect. And that would prevent Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga and his new partner Stephen Ross from signing off on the $30 million guaranteed that will go to the No. 1 pick. That makes it much harder to deal out of the spot than 10 years ago.

Dolphins Bill Parcells appears willing to trade top pick

I can't see them taking Matt Ryan at #1 and they need a QB more than anything, so trading down would make sense. The only teams I can see wanting to possibly move up would be one of the top 5-8 or 9, just to insure they get who they want, possibly Dorsey or McFadden. It's hard for me to see any team at 10-32 moving up to #1, unless Jerry Jones REALLY wants McFadden in a bad way.

no one wants to touch that pick....cost too much and there isn't a true number 1, (ala, Calvin Johnson type player who's miles ahead of everyone else)

Yeah, I agree. The only scenario I can see is if, for instance, the Falcons are afraid the Rams are going to draft their guy and want to move ahead of them. I'm not sure that'd even be the case. Parcells is going to have a hard time trading down.

Might not be a bad idea at all. Save money, get more picks and still get the QB you want.

I hope Parcells pulls it off and keep the Falcons from getting a top notch QB. :-D Muhahaha..

Mike Florio, of the Sporting News, speculates that Parcell's might be willing to intentionally pass with the first pick. Seems that when you do that, you become entitled to use that pick at any point you choose.

If he cannot trade down, this strategy would allow him to pick someone like Ryan a bit later in the draft and pay him at a different slot.

Fraught with potential pitfalls, but an interesting thought nonetheless...

...So if Parcells is willing to ignore the rules that are on the books, he'd surely be willing to cast aside an unwritten one: Thou shalt not intentionally fail to exercise a draft pick.

I mentioned the possibility that Parcells would pass on the pick during an appearance on a South Florida radio station recently, and the host later told me that the mere possibility of Parcells holding his card beyond the allotted 10 minutes (down from 15 in past years) sparked a spirited debate. Surely, if Parcells ultimately would choose not to choose, there would be a firestorm.

But it would be a legitimate maneuver...

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for Mike Florio's MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports blogs

I hope Parcells pulls it off and keep the Falcons from getting a top notch QB. :-D Muhahaha..

Either way, barring a completely ignorant pick, ATL could get a very dynamic offensive weapon. They could go D and get Dorsey/Ellis because Smith is a defensive guy, but I think they'll go offense.

The Cowboys did this when I went to the "Stallworth" draft. We had a lot of fun laughing at the Cowboys fans, but a pick or two later, they got who they wanted anyway.

Might not be a bad idea at all. Save money, get more picks and still get the QB you want.

I've had a feeling that Miami may be in the mix for a while. Finding a trading partner could be tough. Atl. is the most logical, but there are other possibilities if you think out of the box. I suppose the Longs could be a big enough enticement to make GM's do some shocking things.

The most shocking thing of all is Miami could trade down and still get Gholston, Ellis, or Dorsey! :no:

Dude...Calvin Johnson was NOT a number one pick ....number two ....what the heck are you talking about?

Yeah, but he was the top talent of that draft. Worthy of #1. Much more talented and further along than anyone else in that draft, besides maybe Peterson. The Raiders just happened to be in need of a QB and Jamarcus was no joke either.

Do you think Miami would be willing to give up less than the #1 pick's trade value just to move out of it? Say - as low as a #1 and a #3? :hihi:

when was the last time the #1 pick was traded?

There have been some good #1 overall pick trades in the past few years. The fun part is how history plays the deal out.

The Falcons pulled a coup on the Chargers when they got Michael Vick with the Number one overall pick while the Chargers had to roll the dice with a talented, undersized RB form TCU by the name of Tomilinson. Look at the press back then and see how Vick was loved and the Falcons pulled off a great deal and there were questions about the Charger's front office (remember that they pick Ryan Leaf just a few years earlier.

Then in 2004, the Giants gave up the farm for Eli Manning. 12 months ago, most people were calling Manning a bust and it was clear that the trade for what eventually became Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding, & Oben was a steal for the Chargers. Of course, Eli now has the ring.

The draft is an awesome time for speculating, thinking "what if, etc."

I'd love to see what Parcells would do with 5 picks for #1 overall, though I've got to admit that I don't see a "must have at #1 player" out of the draft this year.

Who knows?

Mike Florio, of the Sporting News, speculates that Parcell's might be willing to intentionally pass with the first pick. Seems that when you do that, you become entitled to use that pick at any point you choose.

If he cannot trade down, this strategy would allow him to pick someone like Ryan a bit later in the draft and pay him at a different slot.

Fraught with potential pitfalls, but an interesting thought nonetheless...

This is what happened to the Vikings a few years ago. Failed to get their card in and two teams jumped in front of them. What's to stop Parcells from doing that intentionally?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom