N/S - Dolphins' Bill Parcells appears willing to trade top pick (1 Viewer)

This is what happened to the Vikings a few years ago. Failed to get their card in and two teams jumped in front of them. What's to stop Parcells from doing that intentionally?

For one thing, they'd have a ticked off player on their hands, because it would signify that they wanted that player but just didn't want to pay them top money.. And said player's agent would surely have the player hold out for the top slot's contract..

of course he is willing to trade out of the #1. But noone else wants that position either....

Yeah, but he was the top talent of that draft. Worthy of #1. Much more talented and further along than anyone else in that draft, besides maybe Peterson. The Raiders just happened to be in need of a QB and Jamarcus was no joke either.

EDIT: Total derail, but...something I've been thinking about...

That whole "no player worthy of the #1 pick" thing really doesn't make sense to me sometimes. I just don't understand what makes Calvin Johnson any better than any other first-round talent? Based on a few amazing catches he had during college and some awesome workouts or what? So he went for 48 catches, 750 yards, and 4 TDs his first season. GREAT! Colston almost DOUBLED that his first season. So are you saying he's "so much more talented than any of the rest of the '07 class" based on what he may do in the future? Based on if he had a decent team playing around him? Cause I just really don't get it.

We all know how truly arbitrary the draft is. So for people to come out and be so ridiculously "certain" about something that is so ridiculously uncertain...just kinda doesn't add up to me.

If I were the Saints I wouldn't touch it, because I think we can get a better player for our needs at #10 such as someone like Glen Dorsey, Keith Rivers, etc.

I do not think Atlanta is even considering packaging their round two draft picks to trade back into the first round. They need numerous starters, and have the picks to come away with at least 4 if the GM is as good as they believe, all without moving. Bill would love to move down, Howie's son is the best player, but St. Louis will take whichever Long will be available and Atlanta will be more than happy to take Dorsey. Oakland isn't about to trade up, neither is KC or anyone before Cincinatti. If you aren't already in the top 10, the price to move up is too steep. Even if Dallas really wants McFadden, both first round choices and their second would not be enought to move up to the 4 spot with Oakland, IF the teams follow the value chart. I think Parcells will be forced to stay pat in round one unless he breaks protocal and accepts a lot less value to move down.

There have been some good #1 overall pick trades in the past few years. The fun part is how history plays the deal out.

The Falcons pulled a coup on the Chargers when they got Michael Vick with the Number one overall pick while the Chargers had to roll the dice with a talented, undersized RB form TCU by the name of Tomilinson. Look at the press back then and see how Vick was loved and the Falcons pulled off a great deal and there were questions about the Charger's front office (remember that they pick Ryan Leaf just a few years earlier.

Then in 2004, the Giants gave up the farm for Eli Manning. 12 months ago, most people were calling Manning a bust and it was clear that the trade for what eventually became Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding, & Oben was a steal for the Chargers. Of course, Eli now has the ring.

The draft is an awesome time for speculating, thinking "what if, etc."

I'd love to see what Parcells would do with 5 picks for #1 overall, though I've got to admit that I don't see a "must have at #1 player" out of the draft this year.

Who knows?
The Chargers used the first pick of the second round in that same draft to select a scrappy, undersized QB from Purdue...

I do not think Atlanta is even considering packaging their round two draft picks to trade back into the first round. They need numerous starters, and have the picks to come away with at least 4 if the GM is as good as they believe, all without moving. Bill would love to move down, Howie's son is the best player, but St. Louis will take whichever Long will be available and Atlanta will be more than happy to take Dorsey. Oakland isn't about to trade up, neither is KC or anyone before Cincinatti. If you aren't already in the top 10, the price to move up is too steep. Even if Dallas really wants McFadden, both first round choices and their second would not be enought to move up to the 4 spot with Oakland, IF the teams follow the value chart. I think Parcells will be forced to stay pat in round one unless he breaks protocal and accepts a lot less value to move down.
Very true.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom