N/S--Flacco says Superbowl in cold weather is "********" (1 Viewer)

Wish granted.

Let's be afraid to use actual words in their real context because ignorant people have prescribed those words to be derogatory.

So, if you choose to say the word is hurtful, you're just as ignorant.

Case in point, if you want to use a word, think about it; stand behind your own thoughts and don't be a puppet on what others tell you to say and believe.

I don't recall Joe Flacco sitting in the press room staring at a mentally handicapped child and calling him "slow".

Which brings us back to the root problem. You're now putting words into people's mouths.

In the scientific community, the word "******" is used liberally for what it's main root definition is. Let's make sure we call any scientist or engineer we see daily that he's a bad person for using a stupid word.
If you are choosing to use "********" in a derogatory manner to express stupidity or something bad, then yes, you are ignorant. That's just my belief. Sorry if it hurts your feelings. Joe Flacco meant to say the Superbowl in a cold environment is a stupid idea. Instead, he used "********," which is ignorant of him. He recognized it immediately, and he apologized. Good for him. I'm not going to jump your bones if you misuse the word, but I will definitely be thinking in my head, "Okay, that guy is ignorant."

Also, I am a member of the scientific community. I have a degree in Biology from Loyola University, and my professors and I have had many conversations about down syndrome (especially in my genetics class), and never once have I heard them reference someone with the disorder as "********." If anything, they use "mentally handicapped" in place of "********." But no, the preferred method of discussion is "Down Syndrome" or "DS", so you are wrong.

Most importantly, it's not bad to use those words. You just have to use them in context. If you are referring to a mentally handicapped person, then you can call him "********." If you meaning to call someone stupid, and you decide to use the word "********" instead, then that's a problem. Same with the word "gay." There's no problem calling a homosexual "gay," but you should use it in a derogatory manner. For crying out loud, they refer to themselves as the "Gay and Lesbian Community."

I'm done preaching. I've said my peace. If you want to misuse the words, then that's your prerogative, but you are still wrong for doing so...

You have it all wrong man. It's not about political correctness. I couldn't give a crap about being politically correct. It's about morals. How would you feel if you said the word "******" in a derogatory manner in front of a child with down-syndrome? If you have a heart, you'd feel horrible because that kid is already going through enough. What about if you made fun of gay people, and a young homosexual hears it and kills himself? You think that's dramatic? Well it's not. That stuff happens all the time, and it's disgusting. Have some pride in yourself man, and try to think about others for a change.

From where I sit...you're the one who has it all wrong....and you don't have a clue as to what kind of morals I have or don't have, so stop trying to act like you know anything about me.

What word are we gonna censor next week?...Stupid?... Dumb?... Idiot?
All those are derogatory words too... what about Coonass?.. or Redneck?

Where is it gonna stop?

Calling someone a '******' is certainly a pejorative and is a clear insult. Calling an idea '********' seems less so, to me. What someone means when they say it is that the idea/phrase/belief/whatever could not have come from someone who did not have some form of mental handicap. I understand that the use of the word as such has fallen out of favor in our society, however, so it's something of which those in the media spotlight ought to make themselves aware.

What someone means when they say it is that the idea/phrase/belief/whatever could not have come from someone who did not have some form of mental handicap..

That would cover most things NFL related over the past year or so.

If you are choosing to use "********" in a derogatory manner to express stupidity or something bad, then yes, you are ignorant. That's just my belief. Sorry if it hurts your feelings. Joe Flacco meant to say the Superbowl in a cold environment is a stupid idea. Instead, he used "********," which is ignorant of him. He recognized it immediately, and he apologized. Good for him. I'm not going to jump your bones if you misuse the word, but I will definitely be thinking in my head, "Okay, that guy is ignorant."

Also, I am a member of the scientific community. I have a degree in Biology from Loyola University, and my professors and I have had many conversations about down syndrome (especially in my genetics class), and never once have I heard them reference someone with the disorder as "********." If anything, they use "mentally handicapped" in place of "********." But no, the preferred method of discussion is "Down Syndrome" or "DS", so you are wrong.

Most importantly, it's not bad to use those words. You just have to use them in context. If you are referring to a mentally handicapped person, then you can call him "********." If you meaning to call someone stupid, and you decide to use the word "********" instead, then that's a problem. Same with the word "gay." There's no problem calling a homosexual "gay," but you should use it in a derogatory manner. For crying out loud, they refer to themselves as the "Gay and Lesbian Community."

I'm done preaching. I've said my peace. If you want to misuse the words, then that's your prerogative, but you are still wrong for doing so...

Bless your heart

Bless your heart

Bless your heart.

I think you misused that phrase.

Unless he's gay.......is THAT the correct use??

So.....When I set the timing late on my car, am I supposed to "mentally handicap" the ignition?
LoL

Ok, so we ALL know what he MEANT, why do people have to ruin a simple comment on the inequality of an open top SB up north? I agree with Joe!

Please let me clarify so that you or anyone else doesn't get the wrong idea, because we agree on several points.

Not once in my post did I advocate the use of the word in order to describe an mentally handicapped individual. I said to think about the use of the word in general and whether you should say it.

I agree that it is a disgusting thing to call a mentally handicapped person. I will not dispute that, and have NEVER disputed that.

I'm not "misusing" any words. I will not use the word to describe a mentally handicapped individual, nor should anybody. But to completely ban the word as if it has no merit in society is frivolous and ignorant in and of itself. It is a word, people. Unless someone uses it with malicious intent, get over it.

Some of you need to follow these directions.

1. Turn your torso till you can see behind you somewhat.
2. Find stick.
3. Reach around with hand.
4. Grab stick.
5. Pull AWAY from the body.
6. Enjoy life.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom