N/S - Football in Brazil (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I know some people on here have been following my story more as of late. I shared some information about my former team, the Gladiators, a few months back and Dan (in Lafayette) was kind enough to share an article I was recently asked to write for the Touchdown Europe publication.

Well, on a somewhat related note, I was visiting Brazil a few weeks ago with my girlfriend (who is Brazilian). While I was down there, I was asked to meet with a couple of American football teams. I was really blown away by how much traction the sport is gaining down there. While it is not as organized as American football is in Europe just yet, one of the teams that I spent some time with has over 100 players on its roster! And remember, these are amateur teams... these players are not paid to play, but are doing it simply for the love of the game.

So with that said, I came by this preview for a full-length documentary on one American football player's journey to Brazil. I actually came across the video much by coincidence as it was sent to me by someone who read my article, who was unaware that I had recently traveled to Brazil or that I may be coaching there in the future. The preview looks very compelling and I would encourage everyone to 'like' them on facebook and show your support for what is surely to be a thought-provoking film.

Tackling Brazil Preview #1 on Vimeo

Last edited:
Being brazilian, I can confirm that the growth of american football here has been ridiculous.

It will never be bigger than soccer, but I can totally see it being the #2 sport down the road, especially now that soccer giants like Corinthians and Fluminense FC have their own football team. Some games, like the final of the Brazilian League, are even being televised by ESPN here in Brazil.

We need pics of their cheerleaders.
I don't know in the us, but here people say "You go to bed with a dressed-up brazilian woman, and you wake up with a naked brazilian man" :hihi:

Just kidding ofc :ezbill: glad football is on the rise in any place in the whole world, here in italy it's not really anything special

Dan I play Football in the UK for the Glasgow Tigers.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glasgow-Tigers-American-Football-Club/139356012870094?fref=ts

I'm a DE/LB

564567_643625395664023_1487906232_n.jpg

Being brazilian, I can confirm that the growth of american football here has been ridiculous.

It will never be bigger than soccer, but I can totally see it being the #2 sport down the road, especially now that soccer giants like Corinthians and Fluminense FC have their own football team. Some games, like the the final of the Brazilian League, are even being televised by ESPN here in Brazil.

I have 2 buddies who signed with the Corinthians for this season. I'll PM you b/c I have some questions about Brazil anyway.

I don't know in the us, but here people say "You go to bed with a dressed-up brazilian woman, and you wake up with a naked brazilian man" :hihi:

Just kidding ofc :ezbill: glad football is on the rise in any place in the whole world, here in italy it's not really anything special

You'd be surprised. Check out John Grisham's book Playing for Pizza. It's a novel based on an actual American Football team in Italy. The game's been going on there for a while, and even though they've kind of stagnated Italy used to boast one of the most competitive leagues in Europe (along with Germany and Austria).

You should talk to BelfastSaint. I met him while I was playing football in Ireland (played against each other). He is a hell of player and one of the best football minds you'll come across.

Dan, If you are interested in coaching in Latin America, you should take a look at the college game in Mexico, the tradition is very old and with great rivalries.

Terra - Onefa

The ONEFA (Organizacion nacional estudiantil de football americano) is the federation of the college game, there are several teams depending of UNAM and Politecnico (Mexico City) and there are other important teams in Puebla (Universidad de las Americas), Monterrey (Tigres de Universidad de Nuevo Leon).

Anyways, take a look if you are interested, and if you need help, let me know.

Thanks, guillermo. I had heard football had some heat in Mexico. Teams in Europe are often limited on how many American imports they can bring in... and that classification includes any US passport holders, as well as Canadians, Japanese (yes, apparently it's huge there too) and Mexicans. I actually played against a Mexican RB when I was in Poland... he was very good.

Appreciate the link.

Thanks, guillermo. I had heard football had some heat in Mexico. Teams in Europe are often limited on how many American imports they can bring in... and that classification includes any US passport holders, as well as Canadians, Japanese (yes, apparently it's huge there too) and Mexicans. I actually played against a Mexican RB when I was in Poland... he was very good.

Appreciate the link.

I went to medical school at UAG in Guadalajara, the undergrad university has a football team, and if I remember correctly, the limit to any foreign players was 4 for the team. They tried to recruit one of my classmates who had a been a walk on RB at UT Austin when he was an undergrad.

Dan, if interested I think your best bet is coaching. The NFL now gives coaching seminars and I am sure those universities can be a good opportunity. One thing to know is that the football tradition is old, my 84 mom went to watch the classics UNAM-Politecnico where she was in college, and there are good coaches who had made long careers in college football.

I went to medical school at UAG in Guadalajara, the undergrad university has a football team, and if I remember correctly, the limit to any foreign players was 4 for the team. They tried to recruit one of my classmates who had a been a walk on RB at UT Austin when he was an undergrad.

Tecolote!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom