N/S: Gale Sayers has passed away... (1 Viewer)

Sayers, when young and healthy, was the best RB I ever saw. I wish his family the very best. What a sight to behold watching him in his prime!

So glad I am not aging - lol.

I also grew up a Bears fan having been born in the suburbs of Chicago. The Bears drafted both Sayers and Dick Butkus in the 1965 draft. I remember it well since I was 16 at the time... a lifetime ago. RIP, brother. You were one of the greatest to have played the game.

Definitely one of the great ones, but he didnt get a lot of LoS carries due to his knees. Hopefully the NFL will get its head on straight and pay a proper pre-game or half-time tribute to him and Larry Wilson.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear this. Brian's Song is a great movie. The friendship between Sayers and Piccolo is genuine. "Sayers and Piccolo were devoted friends and deeply respectful of and affectionate with each other. Piccolo helped Sayers through rehabilitation after injury, and Sayers was by Piccolo's side throughout his illness until his death in June 1970"

Be well on your Journey, Gayle Sayers.

Respect

Ditto: best running back I've ever seen. If I was a GM and you guaranteed me health for any running back I chose, I'd take him over everyone in my lifetime: running back gods Jim Brown and Walter Payton included. I think he was that good.

Jim Brown--of all people--was asked whether Walter Payton (who was great) was the greatest running back of all time. Brown answered that he was not sure that Payton was the greatest Chicago Bear running back of all time because there was, well, Gale Sayers. In his first two seasons, Sayers was incredible. His career was fairly short because of knee injuries in an era when a serious knee injury could end a playing career.

When one factors in, as one must, production, Jim Brown was the greatest running back in NFL history. But in his prime years, before his injuries, Gale Sayers was the best and certainly the most electric running back I have ever seen.

For those on the board who are too young to have seen perhaps the greatest RB of all time in Gale Sayers, you really missed something special. I was not a Bears fan but always took the opportunity to watch him run. He was indeed special and but for injuries would hold many RB records even today. RIP to a class man who always carried himself with dignity and showed his love of the game every Sunday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom