N/S: Gale Sayers has passed away... (1 Viewer)

I remember watching football with my dad and even though I enjoyed the game very much there weren't very many truly exciting and electric players.

Then Gale Sayers came on the scene and all that changed. He wasn't the biggest and he wasn't the fastest but he had something that no one had up to that point.

I remember watching him on a long run once and he was being run down from behind by a defensive player and right before the guy attempted a tackle Sayers changed direction on a dime and left the defensive player grabbing air.

I asked my dad......................"how can he do that?" My dad said I don't know son................never saw anyone do that before.

Nothing but respect to you Mr. Sayers........RIP..............you were the best I've ever seen!!

RIP a legend. If I had to pick one back who was most like #40, it would be Alvin Kamara. He has every bit of Gayles slipperiness, and 50% of his change of direction. Gayle Sayers was truly ahead of his time.

I also grew up a Bears fan having been born in the suburbs of Chicago. The Bears drafted both Sayers and Dick Butkus in the 1965 draft. I remember it well since I was 16 at the time... a lifetime ago. RIP, brother. You were one of the greatest to have played the game.
Two of my all time favorite players: Sayers and Butkus.Always loved seeing Butkus going against Charlie Sanders of the Lions.

RIP Sir. Never got to watch him play, but heard he was awesome.

In addition to versatility, Sayers and Kamara did have one quality in common. They were different backs. Sayers was faster, and had extraordinary acceleration, moves and cutting ability. There is a reason he remains the youngest player ever inducted in Canton. Kamara runs with more power than Sayers did.

But the shared quality is making it look easy. Sayers ran with rare grace. He seemed to be gliding past everyone once he was in the open field. Kamara also runs with a certain apparent ease and grace.

Jim Brown--of all people--was asked whether Walter Payton (who was great) was the greatest running back of all time. Brown answered that he was not sure that Payton was the greatest Chicago Bear running back of all time because there was, well, Gale Sayers. In his first two seasons, Sayers was incredible. His career was fairly short because of knee injuries in an era when a serious knee injury could end a playing career.

When one factors in, as one must, production, Jim Brown was the greatest running back in NFL history. But in his prime years, before his injuries, Gale Sayers was the best and certainly the most electric running back I have ever seen.
Even though Jim Brown is the greatest RB in history, the funny thing about that statement is that he isnt that far ahead of his own Browns replacement RB.

I also grew up a Bears fan having been born in the suburbs of Chicago. The Bears drafted both Sayers and Dick Butkus in the 1965 draft.
They never put it all together to reclaim the 63 Bears Championship. Despite having had 4 really strong defenders for 65 and 66. Then one blew out his knee and switched to coaching and the Saints got 2 of the other 3.

They never put it all together to reclaim the 63 Bears Championship. Despite having had 4 really strong defenders for 65 and 66. Then one blew out his knee and switched to coaching and the Saints got 2 of the other 3.
They badly need a QB. Bill Wade wasn't the answer.

Since Sid Luckman retired after the 1950 season, the Bears have been a perennial QB wasteland.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom