N/S Giants GM calls Eli "skittish" (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Giants GM Jerry Reese calls Eli Manning 'skittish' as critics pile on
BY RALPH VACCHIANO
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Everybody is a critic when it comes to Eli Manning. He's taken hits from fans, media, opponents and Tiki Barber. Even GM Jerry Reese piled on Tuesday when he was quoted as saying Manning looked "skittish" on Sunday.

At times the criticism is unfair. Often it's excessive.

But really, what did he expect?

"I wonder if Archie (Manning) was thinking 'My son, with his personality, can handle New York,'" said former Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason, an analyst for CBS and a talk-show host on WFAN. "I don't know what he was thinking about. Maybe he should be in Jacksonville. Maybe he should be in Atlanta or New Orleans. New York is going to chew him up right now - and it has chewed him up for the last four years."

Manning, 26, has become a human piñata in the four years since he engineered his draft-day trade from San Diego to New York. The attacks predictably got worse in the wake of his four-interception nightmare in a 41-17 loss to the Vikings Sunday. He's taken shots from everywhere since then regarding both his performance on the field and in the interview room.

He even took one from Reese Tuesday, when the GM was quoted as saying Manning "has gotten skittish, for whatever reason" - not exactly high praise for a quarterback known for his calmness and poise. Asked to clarify those remarks yesterday, Reese declined in an e-mail interview with the Daily News. "Why would I say anything else about this," he wrote, "when some people have already put their own negative spin on it?"

Of course, putting a positive spin on the word "skittish" wouldn't have been easy, especially since some people felt Reese was right.

"Yeah, I saw that a little bit," said former offensive lineman Brian Baldinger, an analyst for Fox and the NFL Network. "You never see him just stay in there and, literally, as he's throwing it, somebody just wallops him. He always will back out and fade away from the throw. That's on tape and that's one reason the Vikings were blitzing."

{mod edit - read the rest here - kd}
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...m_jerry_reese_calls_eli_manning_.html?ref=rss

I'd take him here if the Giants don't want him

Eli sucks he is over hype juz cuz he comes from a family with football legends but he would be a great back up...his brother really needs to show him the ropes

Eli sucks he is over hype juz cuz he comes from a family with football legends but he would be a great back up...his brother really needs to show him the ropes

right, he stinks because his receivers, O-line, and stud running backs should be undefeated with a decent qb :rolleyes:

He is and will be rich becuase of his last name. Not that it is his fault,but I don't feel sorry for him.

Send Eli on down.....I'd love to see what Coach Payton could do with him.

Is that the whole article? You're supposed to tease it and provide a link (I think).

Watch the Giants drop 4 of their last 5. I can definitely see it happening. We will get the 5th spot in the playoffs.

time for lorenzen:covri:...2 weeks ago he was going to be great and now his GM's dogging him..really is the "Not For Long" league

There is always some smack talk going on in that organization. I'm surprised they accomplish anything. Tiki, Eli, GM, everyone.

No, the Giants suck as an organization. They have failed to draft offensive playmakers to give Eli something to work with.

Peyton looks as good as he does because Bill Polian brings/brought in players like Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Joesph Addai and Edgerrin James.

Peyton has been missing Marvin Harrison for much of this season, and look at his stats and the Colts' offensive struggles.

In addition, Polian has brought in quality defensive players like Bob Sanders and Dwight Freeney that are consistent playmakers.

The Short Attention Span-laden NY media/Giants fanbase seems to forget that Phil Simms looked pretty sorry until they started giving him some quality playmakers to work with. He rewarded Giants fans with the greatest completion percentage ever in a Super Bowl in Super Bowl XXI

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom