N/S - Giants Michael Strahan Blows Up At Media (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the good link. That was interesting.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.

I can remember back in our 2001 season (the year after our first and only playoff victory), by the 12th game, things weren't going very well in Haz's second year.

We were supposed to be a lock for the playoffs when the season began (just like the Giants this year), and everything began to unravel for us.

As a fan, it was hard to take, but I also remember, and wanting to believe that we'd right the ship and have a strong playoff run. That never happened. The wheels continued to fall off our wagon, we lost our last 4 games, and ended the 2001 campaign 7-9.

Little did we as fans know all of the problems that were going on behind the scenes: a player involved with another player's wife; Connell caught on tape taking another player's wallet.

The bottomline is: Haslett was already losing control of that team, and we as fans, didn't have a clue.

Why is that important?

When a player like Strahan calls out the media the way he did today over something he said about another player on the radio, you know something is really wrong in NY. Strahan would typically not do that, but it happens when frustrations mount.

This is the NFL, and we're in serious contention for a playoff run, not a playoff spot. A few weeks ago, our Giants game, in NY, and in Decemeber, was not one I was really looking forward to...

But with their rash of injuries, and now obvious internal problems (Coughlin has probably lost control of this team), I'll take any advantage that's there.

Perhaps they'll right their ship this week and go on a roll, ending in a SB victory like they did a few years back. Possible, but based on what I see, I doubt it.

Like I said, I'll take any advantage they give us in making that a winnable game on Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
New Yorkers would say Chicago stole it from them, of course. :)

Yeah, I'm tired and need to go to bed when I make a goof like that.

So, Father Markus, good to see you again! Here's some trivia for ya:

The nickname Monsters of the Midway was originally applied to the University of Chicago "Maroons", a strong college football team under the leadership of Amos Alonzo Stagg. "Midway" is a reference to the Midway Plaisance, a long, green swath of boulevard space bordering the southern end of the campus between 59th and 60th streets and running from Jackson Park to Washington Park on Chicago's South Side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_of_the_Midway

Good for him. Honestly, I think most media types in sports (and just in general) ask insipid and foolish questions usually structured to cause controversy or solicit some half-truth from a player.

If I owned a team I would probably ban the media from the locker room and practice facility.

New Yorkers would say Chicago stole it from them, of course. :)

Yeah, I'm tired and need to go to bed when I make a goof like that.

So, Father Markus, good to see you again! Here's some trivia for ya:

The nickname Monsters of the Midway was originally applied to the University of Chicago "Maroons", a strong college football team under the leadership of Amos Alonzo Stagg. "Midway" is a reference to the Midway Plaisance, a long, green swath of boulevard space bordering the southern end of the campus between 59th and 60th streets and running from Jackson Park to Washington Park on Chicago's South Side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_of_the_Midway

I'm guessing Midway Airport also "borrowed" their name from this green space?

EDIT: Nope. It was named after the famed WWI battle: http://encyclopedia.tfd.com/Midway+Airport

Good for him. Honestly, I think most media types in sports (and just in general) ask insipid and foolish questions usually structured to cause controversy or solicit some half-truth from a player.

If I owned a team I would probably ban the media from the locker room and practice facility.

Then what would people talk about on this message board?

I heard the comments on Mike and Mike. I don't see the big deal. He didn't even raise his voice or anything. Just said sternly that he was not throwing burress under the bus.

When Greeny teased it I expected to hear a Kramer type blowup. Media blows everything way outa proportion.

the media wasnt as harsh on him as his ex-wife during their divorce -

i did like the line he had about the radio station getting thier news from espn lol

Honestly something like this was needed because the media is for some strange reason trying to destroy the Giants and make them look like little children fighting with one another. The media is ridiculous because in my opinion they can make or break your career. Sitting Jake Plummer for Jay Cutler by Shanahan cause everyone in the media called for it, I hope they don't struggle to make the playoffs.

I agree. The media is constantly trying to make a story out of nothing. I just hope the Giants can pull together and beat the boys this weekend. I know we control our own destiny, but a little help never hurt anyone.

Look, it's NEW YORK. Tough city. Tough media.

They're supposed to be the NEW YORK GIANTS...the Monsters of the Midway...one of the oldest and most storied franchises in the NFL.

Boo-hooing and calling the media unfair is going to go over like a lead balloon there.

"Monsters of the Midway" is a Chicago nickname....I dont know what they call the Giants, other than Giants...They play in New Jersey, so it must be something like, "Yo, New Yok *****' 'n Giants...." (say it like a Soprano)
I like it when players yell at Sportswriters. Sportswriters stink.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom