N/S Gonzales wants more than 7 mill and to skip Training Camp to stay with Falcons (1 Viewer)

Is Tony Gonzales morphing into this decade's version of Brett Farve...I knew that retirement talk was a bogus way of trying to get sympathy for his career winding down...I hope it happens for two reasons: 1) It may slowly harm the chemistry of the team because they'll be guys who resent him for not wanting to come to training camp and 2) Certainly not wishing injury but skipping camp may harm his own ability to stay healthy.

Well I can't remember how many times you see the GM of a team publicly begging a player not to retire. It does make it sound desperate. It was when Minnesota was flying their people down to Brett's ranch too. That's not to say it wouldn't be the same if we have to go and convince Drew to play another year. If that guy gives you the best chance to win it all then you do what you can.
I don't know why you don't want people to use that term.

This is what now, three years that Tony is talking about retiring? It just gets old.

Exactly. I'd hope in the future Drew doesn't pull this kind of stuff. I doubt he would, him, Sean P and Loomis are so close I'm sure they could just work things out behind closed doors instead of letting things go to the media. And if this was the other way around and was Brees Falcon fans would be doing the same thing so yes I'm going to continue to make fun of the Falcons FO :hihi:

Well I can't remember how many times you see the GM of a team publicly begging a player not to retire. It does make it sound desperate. It was when Minnesota was flying their people down to Brett's ranch too. That's not to say it wouldn't be the same if we have to go and convince Drew to play another year. If that guy gives you the best chance to win it all then you do what you can.

This is what now, three years that Tony is talking about retiring? It just gets old.

Maybe I phrased it incorrectly, what im saying is if one of the Saints players says he might be done but is still beasting on field, I want Saints trying to keep him. I don't specifically care what word fans use, I just don't understand problem with a team trying to keep a great productive player. I don't like the falcons but their GM is not doing his job if he doesn't look into trying to keep TG playing. Just my opinion, I would want Loomis to inquire also if Graham said I'm probably done.

That Falcons locker room will not be able to handle the distraction should this become like Favrewatch.
"D Block" will start getting jealous of all the attention.

Who cares? Let him eat their cap. We beat them turds with the worst D in NFL history and with no head coach. I'm not worried about Tony G.

The "skip training camp" part, I find it very telling. If I am the GM, I'd be weary of a player who doesn't want to go to work as soon as he can. I don't think Tony's heart is in it anymore. We'll see.

Personally to me it's because he already said he was retiring after the 2012 season this time last year, now a year later here we are

No, last year he was thinking about it. This year he was more sure of himself, but he still hasn't come out and declared that he is retiring yet. Ray Lewis has, but not Gonzales.

So who wants to bet he gets what he wants? He'll get a one-year deal for about 9 million and doesn't have to attend camp. This, of course, will start getting a LOT of veterans to want that in their contract, too.

I hope we don't beg Drew. He really is my all-time favorite player, by a huge margin, but come on. This is ridiculous. Your franchise is bigger than any one player. If a guy wants to retire, fine, you move on with your planning. If he decides he wants to come back, you try and accommodate. But don't "beg", Jeez

So who wants to bet he gets what he wants? He'll get a one-year deal for about 9 million and doesn't have to attend camp. This, of course, will start getting a LOT of veterans to want that in their contract, too.

They've got like $21 million in cap space, and they've already done their big cuts/restructures. Gonzalez at that price would pretty much put them in the same FA bracket we'll be in. A couple of 2nd tier players, that's it.

Matt Ryan would be hilarious if he lost Gonzo.

Pump fake... pump fake... pump fake ...sack.

Keep in mind, they have a $100 million dollar contract in their future next year. Doesn't matter in terms of Gonzalez this year, but it means they can't backload a bunch of FA contracts easily this year. Not without some risk at least.

I can see why he would want to return, after being so close to getting to the super bowl and still feeling like the pieces are there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom