N/S: Great cover corner: Finnegan, Titans (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Anybody else notice this dude? That Titans vs. Chargers wildcard game was his "coming-out" party. He was all over the place ...and making plays! Solid tackler, great cover fundamentals, great speed.

I know I'm dreaming but wouldn't it be great to see him in Black & Gold opposite another shutdown corner (via FA or draft)? Too bad "The Predator" is down for 2008.

Anyway, here's Finnegan's info:

Player profile:
http://www.nfl.com/players/cortlandfinnegan/profile?id=FIN524193

Game Photos: Finnegan
http://uspresswire.com/search/keywords/Cortland Finnegan

:gosaints:

I knew Cortland growing up and have followed him. He's a solid player but I don't think great cover corner is something you'll hear too many people call him. He's more of a Fakhir Brown / Kevin Mathis player in terms of style. Going back some you might even compare him to Carnell Lake. Physical, can blitz off the edge, good tackler...but if anything I would say cover corner is not his strong suit. He fits well in the Tennessee scheme though with pressure from Haynesworth, VDB, and the other members of the front seven. I am pleased to see him perform well.

i wouldnt say his coming out party i noticed him last year and he was good, wasnt he a safety last year? He has done well the last 2 years

he got burnt on plenty of big plays, and missed coverage on a lot of zone plays

he got burnt on plenty of big plays, and missed coverage on a lot of zone plays

Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel and many, MANY others get burned from time to time... comes with the territory when you play aggressive. All in all, he was around the ball pretty consistently. And if he's out of coverage so much, he wouldn't be among the league leaders in tackles.

The guy was 4th amongst DB's with 96 tackles.

To me, he'd be an upgrade for the Saints. JMHO.

Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel and many, MANY others get burned from time to time... comes with the territory when you play aggressive. All in all, he was around the ball pretty consistently. And if he's out of coverage so much, he wouldn't be among the league leaders in tackles.

The guy was 4th amongst DB's with 96 tackles.

To me, he'd be an upgrade for the Saints. JMHO.

You were the one who said he was a "great cover corner." How many other Titan's games have you seen this year? Just to show how stats can be deceiving, below is the link for Jason David. He has 2 less passes defensed and 2 more INT's than Finnegan. Does that make him a "great cover corner?"
http://www.nfl.com/players/jasondavid/profile?id=DAV026187

You were the one who said he was a "great cover corner."

It was JMHO, my friend. We're all entitled to our opinions.

BTW, based on your SSF name, I gather that you're on Instructor duty at Keesler, eh?
Thanks for your service, and the job all of you do in getting our young Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen ready for the front lines!

Last edited:
>>>I know I'm dreaming but wouldn't it be great to see him in Black & Gold opposite another shutdown corner (via FA or draft)? Too bad "The Predator" is down for 2008>>>

Why is he down? I hear he should be back for the start of the regular season.

BTW, based on your SSF name, I gather that you're on Instructor duty at Keesler, eh?
Thanks for your service, and the job all of you do in getting our young Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen ready for the front lines!

If that was directed to me, then no. I'm an not on Instructor duty at Keesler or in the military. I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer(atc) that graduated from Southern Miss(eagle). But I share you appreciation for their courage and service as well.

I don't think Finnegan is quite the lolly that the OP thinks, but his presence and skills acquit him well of being a 7th round pick. And it add logs to the fire concerning drafting young dbs. It is "easier" to assemble a good team by casting a broad net for cbs via the draft than signing one via free agency.

I'd like to see the Saints get some new blood on the defense like the Titans do every year. Lotsa picks, lotsa misses, but still an excellent chance of some affordable hits!

If that was directed to me, then no. I'm an not on Instructor duty at Keesler or in the military. I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer(atc) that graduated from Southern Miss(eagle). But I share you appreciation for their courage and service as well.

Gotcha.

Here's where my assumptions led me astray:

a. One of the Air Force's premier aircraft is the "Eagle."
b. Your profile says you're in Biloxi (...that's where Keesler AFB is located, as you know), and
c. Your SSF name starts with ATC. In the Air Force, that stands for Air Training Command.

Anyway...

Gotcha.

Here's where my assumptions led me astray:

a. One of the Air Force's premier aircraft is the "Eagle."
b. Your profile says you're in Biloxi (...that's where Keesler AFB is located, as you know), and
c. Your SSF name starts with ATC. In the Air Force, that stands for Air Training Command.

Anyway...

...or Air Traffic Control...

I wasnt all that impressed. It seemed that most of his "Solid" plays were because of Rivers making bad throws. Rivers really did make Finnegan look good.

Anybody else notice this dude? That Titans vs. Chargers wildcard game was his "coming-out" party. He was all over the place ...and making plays! Solid tackler, great cover fundamentals, great speed.

I know I'm dreaming but wouldn't it be great to see him in Black & Gold opposite another shutdown corner (via FA or draft)? Too bad "The Predator" is down for 2008.
Anyway, here's Finnegan's info:

Player profile:
http://www.nfl.com/players/cortlandfinnegan/profile?id=FIN524193

Game Photos: Finnegan
http://uspresswire.com/search/keywords/Cortland Finnegan

did i miss somethin... when did they announce Mike was out next season?

i knew he got injured but i had no idea it was that serious..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom