N/S Greg Williams and the Browns (2 Viewers)

MV2

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I understand some people here are still salty because of bounty gate, but he seems to be doing a good job for them. Their talent level has improved so it’s not the same old Browns from that perspective. Do you guys think they will keep him as the head coach or chalk up their improvements to guys just having fun with nothing to lose at this point?

Disclaimer: I’m just bored and we don’t play until Monday.

Browns have great talent on both sides of the ball, but I don't think Gregggggg is the answer at HC. They are best to keep him at DC if they keep him at all.

This is the team I think McCarthy goes to and could turn them around. They have a franchise QB in Baker Mayfield who could do amazing things in a west coast or Coryell system.

Williams has won more times in 5 games than Hugh Jackson did in 40 games. Wow.

There’s never any telling what Cleveland will do, but he and Baker have won 6x the games that Hue Jackson won in his entire tenure. So I say hell yes they should keep him

No, I don't think he's a long-term solution at HC.

He is doing well with this current opportunity though.

No sympathy for the Rat. He is a talented DC but his weakness is his ego. A coach who can tune up Baker and keep that defense solid will thrive there. Ala McCarthy above.....maybe

And yep, I’m appreciative for him and our SB run...but his ego smoked us in 2011. Just my opinion though

The thing with Gregg Williams is that his coaching style wears out quick. He’s a great coach for 2-3 years on a team and then it’s time to move on. He’s good about rallying the underdogs but yelling and cursing at grown men to do their job becomes comical after a while. There’s a reason he’s coached on a new team every few years. Wade Phillips is the same way but he does it by acting like the high school teacher trying to be cool with his students. Eventually the facade wears off.

The thing with Gregg Williams is that his coaching style wears out quick. He’s a great coach for 2-3 years on a team and then it’s time to move on. He’s good about rallying the underdogs but yelling and cursing at grown men to do their job becomes comical after a while.

I don’t think motivation is a problem. Actually quite the opposite, Hue didn’t like all the cussing, a lot of good it did him.

I mean even Payton comes from Parcells, and there’s not as much cussing, but the attitude is similar.

I think Williams’ ego makes it hard for him to get along with other coaches. And I think blitzing 90% of the time in the 2 minute drill is a recipe for disaster against competent offenses (see: not the Broncos and Keenum).

I don’t think Williams is good at evaluating talent, or picking coaches, but give him a team stacked with a lot of young talent and the coaches in place, and he can succeed.

The thing with Gregg Williams is that his coaching style wears out quick. He’s a great coach for 2-3 years on a team and then it’s time to move on. He’s good about rallying the underdogs but yelling and cursing at grown men to do their job becomes comical after a while. There’s a reason he’s coached on a new team every few years. Wade Phillips is the same way but he does it by acting like the high school teacher trying to be cool with his students. Eventually the facade wears off.
You have the inside scoop on both of their coaching styles, or this just your perception?

Haley, Williams that was some big egos Hue had to deal with. Hard Knocks got a impression was had to do alot of this is my team rants

When a team has been as 'win-starved' as the Browns have in recent decades, even modest win streaks can be impressive. But the fact that Williams has had this level of production & success as an interim head coach can make it hard for the front office & fans to move on from this guy. If they bring in a new head coach and that new coach struggles early on, the complaints will happen instantaneously and the new guy may not get the support he needs.

If the Browns finish strong this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gregg get the gig. But of course he will get the same treatment if he isn't able to keep the ball rolling in 2019. This is the kind of 'teaser' that can go either way, and the Cleveland fans will not be able to accept any more lame seasons no matter who gets the job. The decision will be a critical one for the Browns organization. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

I think the Browns are a prime location for a Head Coach. They should have the opportunity to bring in a good one. I wouldn't tie it up with Williams because he won a few games.

Imagine how much praise a HC would get if he puts the Browns in the playoffs. It would be compared to what Payton did. Even though they have the hardest parts of a playoff roster already there.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom