N/S Has Kyle Orton really gotten better or is he still getting lucky? (1 Viewer)

I still prefer the old Orton. "That's the first time we've seen a QB get intentional grounding because he didn't have the arm strength to hit his receiver." Best MNF quote ever.

Even though he still beat the Saints that year.

I think his success has a lot to do with the coach. Just like Payton, McD revitalizes the entire team, giving them hope, confidence, and pride. The confidence spreads around, and everyone plays up a notch.

Lovie Smith simply won't allow an offense to exist in Chicago. He's a defensive coach that believes in that side of the ball. The Denver coach is an offensive minded coach who wasn't threatened to go out and get the best DC available. Smith would NEVER do the same thing when it comes to finding an OC.

Kyle did a good job at Purdue. He wasn't Drew Brees, but we went to a bowl game every year he played here. He's got a cannon for an arm but doesn't have quite the cerebral part down like Drew does. Drew's game study time was legendary even in college he didn't leave the facility until 10-11 every night. Kyle was more laid back and enjoyed "the college experience" (shall we say) more.

I think the Denver HC being an offensive mind and helping Kyle develop has a lot to do with clearing out the cobwebs left from his Chicago years. He'll be another Purdue Pro-Bowler from "the cradle of quarterbacks" (as Purdue refers to itself).

"Drew's game study time was legendary even in college he didn't leave the facility until 10-11 every night. Kyle was more laid back and enjoyed "the college experience" (shall we say) more."

Not true in his senior year.

Sorry to post so much about Purdue (I know its a Saints board)... Just Excited to see 2 of my guys be 9-0

i think they had a lot of luck and they aren't really serious contenders

i think they had a lot of luck and they aren't really serious contenders

lol? They had one lucky win imo, that long td that bounced off somebody to beat the bengals.... Who btw are also showing themselves to be a good football team this year. I'm trying to figure out where you guys think this luck is? Yesterday certainly wasn't luck.

on a side note, Purdue nfl qb's are a combined 9-0 on the season.

go boilermakers!

And Curtis Painter, 3+ year starter at Purdue and current 3rd string rookie for the Colts, is CLEARLY the difference for the undefeated Colts.... :mwink:

He sure did. Makes you wonder if it's the system since the guy who was running it isn't with Brady anymore.

Actually, in their game yesterday, they were both required to make many of the same types of throws, and, to me at least, Orton seemed much more accurate. The short and medium pass game both teams played are very similar to each other, so, to me at least, it was somewhat obvious that Orton was, in that game, the better QB. The game also made me appreciate Drew Brees's remarkable accuracy, particularly in the short and medium distance possession throws, all the more.

Kyle Orton is a winner but lets not anoint him John Elway. In both, Chicago and now in Denver, Orton has had a quality OL and very, very good defenses; that goes a long way. Orton himself is an average QB, he simply does nothing to lose games for his team. Look at his QB ratings over his career:

2009: 97.4 63% Comp%
2008: 79.6 58% Comp%
2007: 73.9 53% Comp%
2005: 59.7 51% Comp%

These are not great QB numbers. Serviceable but not Cutler. Let's also give McDaniels some props. His offensive game plans, coaching and half time adjustments have a thing of beauty. Orton is currently having is best year and I'm sure McDaniels is playing a major part in his success.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom