N/S: Hines Ward - NFL's Hypocritical, Doesn't Care about Players (1 Viewer)

How much does Hines Ward care about all the players whose knees he's taken out?

he makes good points...but, why are steeler players always *****ing about something?

I think the Steelers' players feel entitled to speak out on whatever they please, whenever they please, because of their ownership. The Rooney family is one of the most well-respected groups in the NFL, with the teams' owner being an NFL Ambassador. This is why I think the Steelers' players are always saying something.

None of this helps James Harrison, though. :hihi:

If the NFL really cared about players they'd get pensions, disability and long term health-care vesting sorted out.

Come on man! If I made a million a year, or even 500K per year, I would sort all that out myself after my first pay check. What, are players helpless to take care of their own futures?

Come on man! If I made a million a year, or even 500K per year, I would sort all that out myself after my first pay check. What, are players helpless to take care of their own futures?

Within 2 years of retirement 78% of NFL players are bankrupt or in severe financial distress.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/1/index.htm

Pensions, disability, and long-term healthcare insure that player will be able to address the long term implications of playing the game because the vast majority of NFL players are unable to do so.

I've always said this. Handle your own business, and you'll be set for life. No way should an individual earning high 6 figures to 7 figures per year, need to worry about money after he/she retires.

I think the Steelers' players feel entitled to speak out on whatever they please, whenever they please, because of their ownership. The Rooney family is one of the most well-respected groups in the NFL, with the teams' owner being an NFL Ambassador. This is why I think the Steelers' players are always saying something.

None of this helps James Harrison, though. :hihi:

Its really simple, stop hitting people in the head. The league handed them a Superbowl a few years back, they have no right to complain about the refs.

I don't agree with the NFL's stance on injuries....if they really care as they try to make it look they are, they would outlaw all the hits in the sport!.....period!

Come on man... That's ridiculous!!! Should they outlaw punching in boxing while they're at it??? Just silly argument...

The sport is inherently violent and dangerous. The players already know this when they step in the field and they do it willingly for the money and notoriety.. The league is trying to make a dangerous sport as safe as possible without making it something it a completely different sport...

To try to relate adding more games to directly = don't care about injuries is silly... Heck, why don't they just play 6 games against division opponents, have the playoffs n superbowl n call it a season.. Cuz that would be dumb!! Same reason driving a car and crossing the street are not outlawed... Its a risk we take BUT the powers do make speed limits n crosswalks to make driving n walking as safe as possible...

Its a dangerous sport.. Do what u can to keep the game but make it as safe as possible...

Come on man... That's ridiculous!!! Should they outlaw punching in boxing while they're at it??? Just silly argument...

The sport is inherently violent and dangerous. The players already know this when they step in the field and they do it willingly for the money and notoriety.. The league is trying to make a dangerous sport as safe as possible without making it something it a completely different sport...

To try to relate adding more games to directly = don't care about injuries is silly... Heck, why don't they just play 6 games against division opponents, have the playoffs n superbowl n call it a season.. Cuz that would be dumb!! Same reason driving a car and crossing the street are not outlawed... Its a risk we take BUT the powers do make speed limits n crosswalks to make driving n walking as safe as possible...

Its a dangerous sport.. Do what u can to keep the game but make it as safe as possible...

I don't disagree with anything you say here....however, ther league is full of it claiming that they're for players safety....they're not, as we see it in your reasoning.

Here's a pertinent question....a player gets hit legally, falls to the ground, his head hits the turf causing a concusion, which in turn renders the same player a veggie in 25 years....doctors unanimously determined that the concussion is the reason for his vegetarian state...player sues the league for damages.....

Once the doctors determined the cause for his vegetarian state, the blame goes to the league for not adequately protecting, or informing the player for the risks involved...we see this playing out time after time in the courts, and the league is setting up funds for paying the medical bills of these players. Now those funds are increasing year after year, as more & more players come forward with claims, and we see the first results, or aftershocks of these claims....the league is responsible for the welfare of their players, therefore the league is limiting the players exposure for the hits involved.....right now its all about illegal hits, but as the price escalates more drastic measure will be implimented, in limiting the cause of these disabilities....the hits! You hear the talk already....players can't hit too hard, they must refrain from hitting as hard they can, and this is just the first vawe of the measures which will be implemented.

Do I agree with all this?...of course not. I'm on your side of the argument. But trust me, this is just the beginning. Inevitably this will lead to more rules and regulations, and the hits, legal or illegal, "will take a huge hit" on all this!

Hines Ward is a very good football player, and a decent human being. I enjoy watching him play, and consider myself a fan. But I grew up in Georgia, and know people who played with him and know him, and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed....

How much does Hines Ward care about all the players whose knees he's taken out?

Probably not much since he called his own qb a wuss last year for not playing through a concussion. He is the definition of hypocrite.

I don't disagree with anything you say here....however, ther league is full of it claiming that they're for players safety....they're not, as we see it in your reasoning.

I hate to end a good debate by agreeing with u but if I'm understanding u correctly, ur saying that the NFL doesn't care about the players, their actions r more to cover their backside, then YES.. I agree with that but would simply say every company does that... Just about every program, training, meeting, HR consult etc is so the company can say "look, we trained them properly"

Look at any manufacturing company... All the safety training and constant talk about safety and the signs that say "this plant has gone xxx days since our last injury". That has nothing to do with the companies concerns about employee safety, it has everything to do with work related injuries account for an extremely high $$$$ for the company... Having said that, as a business owner, I have a hard time faulting a company for tring to keep their expenses down..

I know this is a cynical attitude but if u drill down to the bottom of everything, it's usually done for selfish reasons.. We care about every's safety but u push the issue more cuz safety is 30% if our monthly bonus.. Etc

When did the Steelers turn into the biggest whiners in the league? Polamalu's been whining, Harrison's been whining, Tomlin's been whining, and now Ward.

Maybe he has a point, but the average NFL player will make more in one year than I will in five, so my sympathy is limited.

And now Suggs chimes in.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-is-bashing-the-NFL-says-leagu?urn=nfl-291236

"The league has their favorites. One being in Indy and one being with that other team up north. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Some quarterbacks are getting the calls right away. Some quarterbacks they don't care.

"Like I always said, Carson Palmer(notes) got hit in his knee in 2005 but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in his knee and all of a sudden there is a rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines -- it's just getting ridiculous."

How bout that Palmer hit? Pretty much the same as the Brady hit, but no rule until Brady gets taken out.

If the players salaries went up 30% for adding 2 more regular season games, they'd be all for it.

And now Suggs chimes in.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-is-bashing-the-NFL-says-leagu?urn=nfl-291236

How bout that Palmer hit? Pretty much the same as the Brady hit, but no rule until Brady gets taken out.

100% incorrect

During the off-season, the NFL Rules Committee modified the rule regarding low hits on quarterbacks, prohibiting defenders from hitting a passer at or below the knee unless they are blocked into him. Injuries to Palmer, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and then-Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brian Griese (now with the Chicago Bears) were cited as reasons for the new rule. The so-called "Kimo Rule", also known as the "Carson Palmer Rule", [1] now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.

http://armchairgm.wikia.com/Carson_Palmer

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom