N/S Hornets Deal till 2014 (1 Viewer)

"The Hornets can opt out of the agreement if the team doesn’t average 14,735 fans from Dec. 1, 2007 through the end of the 2008-09 season. Currently the Hornets are dead last in the league in attendance, averaging under 12,000 fans per game." http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl010908tphornets.6e5e561.html

I really, really hope the city can meet this benchmark. I don't want Shinn to be able opt out of the deal.

Last edited:
I hope they do opt out. I personally cannot stand the NBA. I would much prefer to see the state focus on the Saints and Zephyrs for sports, and allocate any other money to recovery of the area.

I hope they do opt out. I personally cannot stand the NBA. I would much prefer to see the state focus on the Saints and Zephyrs for sports, and allocate any other money to recovery of the area.

terrible

But if they are successful, they will bring more money to the area. I understand you may not like the NBA, but how are the Hornets hurting the New Orleans? If they can advance into at least the 2nd round of the playoffs this year, I think the fan base will receive a tremendous boost, not to mention the opposing team's fans that will spend money when they visit.

Read the next paragraph, it will cost Shinn 170 million dollars to opt out, not as easy as you think.

lol, it's the off season for the Saints, maybe I should have started another thread about the Free Agents we may get.

wow

From the posted article: "The lease also relieves the state of its responsibility to construct a new practice facility for the team."

Why would Shinn go back on that after he pushed so hard for it? It sounds to me as though they're getting ready to leave the city. Why force us to build a new practice facility when the franchise won't be around to use it?

I hope I'm wrong. The other explanation would be that Shinn had some "change of heart" and decided that forcing the city to build a multi-million dollar facility post-Katrina shouldn't be a top priority for several years.

If us fans can not fill the seats they are leaving after the 2014 season. That's no more than right. We got to start supporting the Hornets guys. They are a good team. Let's fill the seats and cheer for these guys.

They will make the playoffs this year and baring injury they could contend for the NBA title.

So if the Hornets leave it is our fault. Let's fill the seats guys....

The Zephyres WHAT!!!!! (Saints and Hornets-Stay) Move the Zebras..

Last edited:
the people who WANT the hornets to move are ignorant.

i can understand not caring, but to wish bad is ignorant. notice the saints only have 3 more seasons in their lease, while the hornets have just made an attempt at 7 years, and all that is needed is to buy tickets, meanwhile benson will want tax payers money and state dollars to build a new stadium. however, i want to keep both and will do what i can do keep both.

by the way, the zephyrs charged the state tax payers money as "rent" for the national guard use of the field, and they charged tulane hundreds of thousands of dollars to use their field. nice hospitality. a local company was less charitable than most out of state companies in a time of need.

its plain and simple, the hornets bring money to the city through tourism and national name recognition. we can support both. should support both. plus this team is increible.

dont be ignorant saints fans. be a saints fan who watches the hornets as a way to pass time. then before you know it you will care

From the posted article: "The lease also relieves the state of its responsibility to construct a new practice facility for the team."

Why would Shinn go back on that after he pushed so hard for it? It sounds to me as though they're getting ready to leave the city. Why force us to build a new practice facility when the franchise won't be around to use it?

I hope I'm wrong. The other explanation would be that Shinn had some "change of heart" and decided that forcing the city to build a multi-million dollar facility post-Katrina shouldn't be a top priority for several years.

Exactly my thought. I can think of no other explanation. That buy-out money can come from some other city, arena or new deal that effectively reimburses Shinn. If some city wants the NBA badly enough, the Hornets will be ripe for taking.

I like the gesture to the New Orleans Hornets fans. It basically says come to the games, and we're yours. Besides, there is a ridiculous fee if they do break the agreement and attempt to leave...like, around $100 million. So, basically, we now have the Hornets until 2014. It's a HELLUVA lot nicer than Benson and the Saints. We've got two more years with the Saints on their lease and we're going to here.."DO THIS OR WE ARE GOING TO LEAVE...AND YOU MUST PAY US $$$ MILLIONS A YEAR IF YOU DON'T BUILD A STADIUM. PERIOD." Watch. At least Mr. Shinn is a human and not as cold-blooded as Mr. Benson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom