N/S how is jerry rice # 80 not retired (1 Viewer)

Jackavelli

Sarang Upso
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Jerry Rice has given Isaac Bruce the go-ahead to wear No. 80 for the 49ers.

"I have always respected Isaac Bruce," Rice said. Somehow the number was never retired, but no 49er has worn it since Rice's last year in San Francisco (2000). Bruce, who ranks third all-time in receiving yards behind only Rice and Tim Brown, has worn the No. 80 all 14 seasons he's been in the league.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Related: Isaac Bruce

Well, could be any more of a stand up guy?

wow, had no clue

i wonder if washington gets to retire #21?

Washington has a bunch of "unofficial" retired numbers that the only coach with the gall to touch was Spurrier (let Danny Wuerfel wear Theismann's #7 before the the backlash forced him to reconsider)

I think thats what most teams will do, just unofficially retire numbers. It would take a real ******* player or a clueless coach (i.e. Spurrier) not to respect that.

Not a surprise that Rice gave the go ahead to isaac Bruce to wear 80. If you remember correctly, Steve Largent let Rice wear 80 on the Seahawks.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

I remember hearing about it a while back, maybe at the end of the Dome Patrol era. I think the NFL started to get worried about teams retiring too many numbers and limiting what numbers future players could have, at least that was the official reason.

I could be wrong, I've had a whole lot to drink since then, but I'm about 99% sure.

Yeah like said above, NFL only has a select few numbers designated for positions. Wrs need to be 10 - 19 or 80 - 89 So thats 20 numbers. An nfl roster needs 53 men on it alone, and in say 10 - 15 years expecially on a team like say the Colts, when say Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne (and whoever else the draft and keep along with Peyton) If all these guy rightfully get thier numbers retired, well its down to 18 numbers avaible etc. So rather than start getting into the 3 digit numbers, or changing there current format and let any play wear any number (which I don't see the big deal with anyways). They just said ex-nay on the retiring numbers instead.

Im glad they quit retiring numbers, I think its a little overboard. Now, if they can ban WRs with teen numbers, id be more happy. leave that crap in college.

Im glad they quit retiring numbers, I think its a little overboard. Now, if they can ban WRs with teen numbers, id be more happy. leave that crap in college.

I see your point, but it doesn't bother me. I kinda find it a bit refreshing.

I would think they'd make an exception for someone like Jerry Rice. JMO

Marshall Faulk jersey got retired last season. So, when did the NFL tell teams to stop retiring jersey numbers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom