N/S. How to replicate the Bears defense/How to build a top 5 defense? (1 Viewer)

NewOrleansBoy

Clemson Football Walk-On
Reaction score
Would love an answer to this question.

What exactly does the Bears have on defense that we lack--position wise?

I am not knocking or taking anything away from our D, but we are ranked bottom 10 for a reason.

I also understand that we held the Bengals and Eagles to minimum points so I should feel grateful...However, I believe that was only because our offense dictated the score--as in, because we were able to score on will against opposing teams recently, which means that it forces the opposing team to change and adjust their whole offensive game plan during the game and to play catch up instead--therefore, greatly helping out our defense.

I've digressed.

I am just curious on what exactly does the Bears have on defense that lack? I love this team, but I do hope we can improve this defense in the off-season.

Is it a Mack/Garrett/Miller type LB/DE that we are missing?

I'm just going to list the positions on defense that I believe we could improve on in the off-season and bump the thread when the time comes:

1. DT next to Rankins. I love Onyemata. He is a great rotational player. Would love to see a player (like Hicks again) next to Rankins that just collapses the opposing O-Line allowing Okafor, Davenport, and Jordan get to the QB. The reason why I am making an argument to go after another DT is because the team has shown that they want one--Or else, we wouldn't have tried to pursue Suh or Wilkerson.

2. Speaking of DE, I would love to see us go after another DE--However, just a veteran DE that can contribute as a rotational player with Okafor and Hendrickson (assuming Jordan and Davenport starts) will do. Will Ziggy Ansah demand a-lot of money?

3. I love Davis and Anzalone. But, I do believe that another LB here is needed (insert Mack/Garrett/Miller DE/OLB type). <--I believe this is the missing piece. Hard to find those hybrid type of players though.

4. CB/S. For some reason, I am just not 100% sold on the secondary. I am still seeing issues that we have had since 06. We'd constantly give up 15, 20, 25 yard plays...Can't tell if it's the coaching, the lack of pass rush, or just simply we need another secondary guy who can cover.

Thoughts? Are we 4 positions away from a top 5 defense?

Last edited:
Is it a Mack/Garrett/Miller type LB/DE that we are missing?

There yah go

Kahlil Mack.

We have good rushers. Cam is amazing. But Mack is the Lebron James of rushing the passer right now. Hopefully Davenport can progress into a top 5 rusher in the next 3 years. He has incredible potential.

They held the Vikings to 20 points, same as us.

It also doesn't hurt to play the Bills, Jets, Dolphins and Cardinals.

The Bears have a good defense but they aren't dominant by any stretch.

Guys like JJ Watt and Khalil Mack are transcendent talents. Add in some solid players around them, and the entire defense will shine. I'd argue that Akiem Hicks is the best DT in the NFL right now, and Khalil Mack is the best DE in the NFL right now. Pressure off the edge and pressure up the middle is hard for any offense to beat.

When you look at this surging Saints defense, what has been the key? Sheldon Rankins destroying the interior of the pocket. QB's no longer are able to step up when Cam Jordan is coming off the edge. Add in Allen's blitz packages and all three LBs having great pass rushing skills... the only way to beat this Saints defense right now is to have two hot reads and hope someone can beat press-man at the line. Anything longer than 3 seconds and the QB is probably going to eat turf.

The Saints defensive line punched Wentz in the mouth early and he never recovered.

Going to be even more scary when Davenport comes back, I can't wait!

Kahlil Mack.

We have good rushers. Cam is amazing. But Mack is the Lebron James of rushing the passer right now. Hopefully Davenport can progress into a top 5 rusher in the next 3 years. He has incredible potential.

Issue I have with Mack, unlike Donald, is that he disappears for stretches at a time. And you've gotta look at the teams (and offenses) they are beating.

They have a great, yet very beatable D.

I’m happy with the defense we’re building

Exactly. I am not taking anything away from the defense...But the key word here is "building" as in, adding onto the defense with key pieces/positions to help improve the defense even more. That is why I had to ask the question, what pieces are we missing? I'm saying 4 positions.

Top 5 defenses won't win championships in the NFL. A historic defense can win championships. It's all about offense.

Last edited:
Bears secondary is also extremely extremely underrated . Kyle fuller is playing better than ever. As good or better than Lat. they have prince amukahmara(sp), on other side who is a play maker. Then Eddie Jackson who is the most underrated Saftey in the league. Absolute play maker and great instincts.

But I agree we are a few pieces away from top 10 D. Coaching could play a part in this too.

You're basically talking about their front seven because I don't think anyone in their secondary is great. On top of that you are actually taking away from our defense by saying it's the offense that forces teams to change their game plan, fact is we're only a couple of years removed from having a defense that allowed everyone they played to score at will just as fast or even faster than we did regardless of how quickly we did. Our D is trending up

Credit goes to Ryan Pace for hitting on his picks of Floyd and Smith taking a chance on Hicks and swinging for the fences with Mack, probably saved his job. They're the cornerstones along with a couple of good FA pickups and keeping Fangio, but Rodgers lit them up and the Dolphins did too so they can be had when they don't get to the QB just like any other defense.

The NFL is really changing due to the new rules. Top 5 defenses of the future will probably look a bit different than today. I can see teams putting 5 defensive backs on the field as the base defense and possibly playing a lot more cover 1/0 press and applying more pressure. The middle of the field is much more open than it used to be due to the defenseless receiver rules and the extra confidence QBs have to hang in the pocket. There's little reason to have safeties playing downhill because you can't hit the receiver to prevent the catch. Your better off playing underneath and having faster guys that can jam and hang in stride.

I think the Saints have the players. They just need a better scheme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom