N/S Huge, Hypothetical FA If: Now that Brady's gone, if your NE, do you try to go after Dak Prescott (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
To most SR posters, I know this scenario sounds a bit unrealistic and it's a hypothetical FA scenario that won't happen right now or ever probably and honestly, 2-3 weeks ago if another poster had made a thread with a similar type premise as mine, my reaction then might be the same as yours is reading this post, but now that the Tom Brady era is over in New England and while it was historically successful, eventually like San Francisco, 70s Cowboys and Steelers before them, one of the greatest dynasties led by one of the greatest players in American history now belongs to sports writers, NFL historians, and common fan folklore.

Which leads me to my main primary point: Knowing how difficult, tedious, and very frustrating Cowboys negotiations have been with 2x Pro Bowler Dak Prescott and how they've placed the franchise tag on him this year, Dak has to be wondering: Am I being too unreasonable asking for $40 million/year contract, do I need to perhaps suggest to my agent that I should lower it to maybe $30-35 million, even though you risk some sports pundits saying you backed down from Jerry Jones, ultimately you let America's Team dictate to you what they feel you're worth? I'm not saying that would be a fair allegation or perception, but the nasty, confrontational backroom nature of NFL contract negotiations leaves little room for fairness or more room for ruthlessness. Would you be looking at NE's now vacant QB position and say to yourself: Do I have a better chance winning a SB and receiving maybe $30 million a year then risk wasting your prime, like your predecessor did, playing for a team who's owner still believes he can win SB's in FA era with a good coach or mediocre one the same way he did in 1993, who pretends he's a savvy talent evaluator, has hit but more recently has more misses in making trades or FA pickups, you may have some great statistical seasons, maybe once every 2-3 years or so, you'll win the NFC East or be a WC, but better, more talented teams will beat Cowboys every time in 1st or 2nd round just like they've done since 1996. There's been an entire generation of NFL fans and more importantly Cowboys fans, who don't remember when they were SB contenders or even won it. At least Notre Dame has made it to a NC game and CFP semifinals in the past 20 years.

If you're NE and Bill Belichek, do you want to risk mediocrity for a few seasons while you still have a good defense and few remaining good offensive weapons left while you hope your 2020 1st round QB draft pick learns Belicheck's system and trying to fill in impossibly huge legacy left behind by Brady? Dak will never come close to being Tom Brady, but he's had a pretty damn good run, he's been to the Pro Bowl twice, he threw for almost 5,000 yards last season with a HC who redefines mediocrity, he's been to postseason twice, won a playoff game, has had 3 winning seasons as Cowboys starting QB. He's done all this with decent-good WRs and a franchise RB in Zeke Elliot, if he comes to NE, he will be surrounded by a far more intelligent HC, who's a genius game day strategist, master at X's--and--O's who will bring out the very best in him and do a more efficient job at continually surrounding him with great supporting casts.

Right now, Dak Prescott's resume would put a lot of Patriots fans minds at ease a bit compared to the wide, very scary unknown of trying to rebuild a still-good team on paper with a highly touted, but unproven rookie QB. Maybe they get lucky and draft another Luck, maybe Justin Herbert that guy but he will be long gone even if NE tries to trade anywhere near the top 10-15, AFC East is probably going to be dominated by Buffalo the next couple of years as they've got a more developed, experienced roster.

He still has to sign it though, and that doesnt exclude the possibility of there being a trade between the two teams for him, it's just the price would be a lot higher and more contensious likely since Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones do not like each other. Jones, a couple of years ago in a leaked TMZ email threatening Goodell over his suspension of Elliot, called Kraft a pursey cat minus the feline.

No. It would take multiple first round picks plus a top-5 QB salary and they’re sorely lacking in playmakers.

Why the musical chairs with QB’s? I’ve never seen anything like it with starting caliber QB’s. I guess it’s to do with the new rules and teams feeling like a 35+ year old QB with experience can get them over the hurdle versus teams that feel like drafting a QB on the cheap is how to build a winner.

Edit: to clarify, by new rules I mean that you can’t touch the QB’s anymore. A decade or two ago you wouldn’t invest in older QB’s due to not being able to take the beating.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom