N/S Is Aaron Rodgers Tony Romo with a SB ring? (1 Viewer)

Intersting post El. Good stuff for an off week.

invho - I think Rodgers is elite and clutch. Romo chokes in the playoffs. Romo is not near as mobile as Rodgers. And Rodgers has a cannon of an arm.

I think Romo is a very good QB, but not in the same league as Rodgers.

With the exception of that top line, this pretty much sums up my thoughts, actually.

Intersting post El. Good stuff for an off week.

invho - I think Rodgers is elite and clutch. Romo chokes in the playoffs. Romo is not near as mobile as Rodgers. And Rodgers has a cannon of an arm.

I think Romo is a very good QB, but not in the same league as Rodgers.

I agree, but the Romo choking in playoffs is a little unfair because they haven't been there all that much. If he choked in the playoffs, it was because:
-He fumbled a FG snap (something no starting QB has to do but he did because he did not start the season) in Seattle in 2006 playoffs.
-He lost to the Giants in 2007 playoffs. Therefore, Favre and Brady also choked.
-He beat the Eagles at home and then played at the Vikes in 2009 playoffs. How do you think the Saints do in the Metrodome with crowd advantage reversed?
-He beat the Lions at home (with Refs help) but did almost beat the Pack on the tundra (because a catch was not a catch) in 2014 playoffs. That Pack team should've won in Seattle but choked themselves.

As much as I love Cowboy fan misery, I've never disliked Romo, but of course he's not done anything to put him at Rodgers level.

Part of Romo's problem throughout most of his career, except for maybe the last little bit, is the Cowboys have been over-rated. Even when they had good teams, the press would forecast great expectations. They've always had a few really good to great individual pieces at different positions but until recently they were poorly built.

It's similar to how the general public perceives Brees in that because he routinely doesn't have a defense, he isn't a great QB. Not putting the two on the same level, just saying Romo gets some undeserved grief.

If there were a draft of all current NFL players, my first pick is Aaron Rodgers. In my opinion, no, it isn't even close. I mean that as no slight at Tony b/c I think he catches too much flack sometimes and is a top 16 qb when healthy.

I would go with big Ben.

I believe he's going to be the big dog for a few years after brees/brady

What makes them at least superficially similar IMO is that they both can make pretty incredible plays downfield using their mobility. Romo's ability to do this, at least before injuries began to slow him down considerably, was pretty underrated. But I think its safe to say that Aaron Rodgers is better at it.

If statistics are the thrust of your argument, then you have to provide context: Romo took the Cowboys starting job during the 2006 season, while Rodgers became the full time starter in GB in 2008. Injuries have intervened for both, but even with Rodgers abbreviated tenure, he has thrown 19 more TDs than Romo and 49 fewer interceptions.

I've previously advanced the argument that Rodgers has had better O-Lines than we've assumed and that his penchant for taking sacks had more to do with his style than anything. He has been sacked 56 times more than Romo since they both became starters, so that's pretty significant. They're kinda similar in this regard though; Romo's YPA is relatively high among QBs, accounting for his super-high career QB rating, but there are consequences that are negatively reflected elsewhere in his game, i.e. his penchant for getting hit and injured a lot.

As far as the eye test goes, Rodgers is a better QB than Romo. He's more consistent and has more of an impact on games in his own right, at least as I see it. His recent spate of struggles has showed how consistently well he has played for the past 8 years or so; Romo has had plenty stretches like this that have gone relatively unnoticed.

I think Rodgers is a better QB than Romo, but not by a giant margin. This is because Romo has quietly been one of the best QBs in the modern NFL since he took over the Cowboys' offense. His reputation as a choker notwithstanding - and its probably unfair anyway - he has consistently put up big numbers at the helm of a productive offense. Their defense and special teams have been on and off during his tenure. He's not a HOFer, but I don't think he's ridiculously far from the conversation if we're being fair.

As an aside, Drew has been sacked only 24 times more than Rodgers in 97 more starts. That's pretty insane, especially considering Drew has almost literally DOUBLE the pass attempts Rodgers does. I think these are the things that aren't factored in when people discuss the 2011 MVP and Drew and Rodgers' relative value. Rodgers was sacked 50% more times than Brees in 2011 on 150 more pass attempts and had four more fumbles. These things matter as well.

TL;DR: Rodgers is better than Romo, but its close. Drew is better than both. :ezbill:

I think you have two great QBs that depended heavyily in their athleticism and improv skills on the downward part of their careers. People forget how good Romo was in his prime and people are now starting to forget the same for Rodgers. Rodgers was certainly elite for a short period of time. I think overall career numbers might favor Romo slightly but Rodgers definitely peeked higher than Romo.

Just my opinion... Not the most factually dense post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom