N/S...Is an olympic sprinter in the NFL Joke or Legit (1 Viewer)

I just did a little research and i found this guy. I can honestly say i havent heard of this guy. Maybe im just to young i guess. But you are right, he ran a 10.0 sec 100 which isnt that far off from what is the world record now. I guess they can exist though rare.

Fill me in, was he really good.

Every once in a while, someone posts something that make me realize that I am getting older and older.

He was very good. In a way he helped revolutionize the passing game. He paved the way for the Warren Wells, Cliff Branch's that were to come, all the way to our own Devery. Guys that may not be the greatest route runners or even have the most reliable hands, but who stretched the field vertically on every play.

I think I'll go take a nap now.

Keep an eye on this kid. He may have the ability to play better at the NFL level than all before him. He 'll certainly be the fastest man in the 100 meters to EVER play in the NFL.
Let's see if he makes the Olympics and were that takes him but don't doubt his heart as a football player. He may have a career in both or neither. Geaux Trindon Holliday!

From todays Times Picayune

http://www.nola.com/lsu/t-p/football/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1205299407221150.xml&coll=1

In fact, as an LSU track note sheet this week pointed out, it might make him the fastest player in the history of football. In recorded athletic history, only 69 men have run a faster 100-meter time than Holliday, and not one of them played a down.

"Right now, I would say yes," Shaver said Tuesday when asked if Holliday would make the team were the Olympic Trials held today

I would love to have a sprinter. i don't know why teams just dont make them run for the endzone every play.. I would put a sprinter as my #3 guy just to fatigue the secondary have them have to chase him around. after about 2 quarters of that teams are winded then i put in my real receivers. I still dont get why michael lewis never got a chance to catch the deep one. I mean it could be like college has the spreed offense and the NFL has the sprinter style decoy. If we use brusing RB to wear a defense out why cant we do it to the secondary with a sprinter.

Keep an eye on this kid. He may have the ability to play better at the NFL level than all before him. He 'll certainly be the fastest man in the 100 meters to EVER play in the NFL.
Let's see if he makes the Olympics and were that takes him but don't doubt his heart as a football player. He may have a career in both or neither. Geaux Trindon Holliday!

From todays Times Picayune

http://www.nola.com/lsu/t-p/football/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1205299407221150.xml&coll=1

In fact, as an LSU track note sheet this week pointed out, it might make him the fastest player in the history of football. In recorded athletic history, only 69 men have run a faster 100-meter time than Holliday, and not one of them played a down.

"Right now, I would say yes," Shaver said Tuesday when asked if Holliday would make the team were the Olympic Trials held today

Im not just saying this because i am a LSU hater, but imo i think he would get creamed eventually. He is just to small.

Im not just saying this because i am a LSU hater, but imo i think he would get creamed eventually. He is just to small.

Saints had a super fast and super small return man at 5'4" in HOWARD STEVENS. He was fearless, and faster than everyone else on the field and so is Holliday. The thing that is incredible is that HOLLIDAY IS THE FASTEST MAN TO EVER PLAY FOOTBALL. This isn't speculation it is a FACT.

Thanx that answers some of the questions. I guess the way zone is played now a days, it probably wouldnt stand much of a chance either.

Brad... I remember back in '68 a fellow by the name of Jim Hines broke Hayes' world record at the Olympics that year and was later drafted by a team hoping to duplicate the Cowboys success with Hayes... I can't recall which team that was, but i think it might have been Miami. he didn't last long because he just couldn't play football. I guess the next closest an actual Olympic track star got to being an NFL star (at least that I can recall) was Renaldo Nehamiah back in the 80's who was a world record holder in the hurdles. He played for the 49'ers for a few years. He was a 3rd WR, and didn't have a lot of receptions, but he did play a lot.

Track and field stars in football aren't rare at all. If you follow college recruiting you'll find quite a few nationally ranked high school track and field stars end up being college recruits. I've no doubt the NFL (beyond the obvious and already noted names) harbors a handful of players who, had they focused solely on become runners, would have made Olympic teams.

Speed is speed, but obviously there are special and specific techniques required to run at an Olympic level that don't strictly transfer to the football field and vice-versa.

I would love to have a sprinter. i don't know why teams just dont make them run for the endzone every play.. I would put a sprinter as my #3 guy just to fatigue the secondary have them have to chase him around. after about 2 quarters of that teams are winded then i put in my real receivers. I still dont get why michael lewis never got a chance to catch the deep one. I mean it could be like college has the spreed offense and the NFL has the sprinter style decoy. If we use brusing RB to wear a defense out why cant we do it to the secondary with a sprinter.

the sprinter type WR lose their effectiveness once the team crosses the
fifty yard line. In todays NFL with the kickoffs being further back and teams starting off in the 25-30 yd range after a couple of first downs he won't fool or wind anyone....i understand what your trying to get at and i think that's basically what's happening when you have a Moss-T.O. type player and why teams covet them so. JMHO...

i don't know why teams just dont make them run for the endzone every play..

I still dont get why michael lewis never got a chance to catch the deep one.

Doesn't work like that. If you just took a sprinter right off the track, put him in pads, and said "go deep" . . . he'd get knocked backwards by the jam before he got even 2 steps off the LOS.

It's not just "go deep".

I believe Willie Gault was a world class sprinter as well. He had a few good years in Chi-town.

Yeah, he was on the Olympic team that got jipped by the '80 boycott.

yea i agree but i think if you just use a player like that just to fatigue guys, it might be useful. Like i said if you pound the ball why cant we just make cb try to catch these guys even if they aren't targets to throw to. this is if they can get off the line. Better yet tell the guy to slant and go. A cut inside to avoid the jam then run straight out as fast as possible. he could at least move defenses around.

Seems to me that back in the 80's, the Rams got a world class sprinter named Ron Brown. This was back when we were in the same division. I can't remember what year but I do remember that a Saints DB timed a perfect hit to break up a deep pass as Brown was running at full stride. It could have been Waymer , Watlett, Maxie, or maybe Atkins, but I do remember that the game stopped for almost 10 minutes while they scraped Brown up off the field.....I had that game on Vhs and watched that hit over and over......

Originally Posted by Superfan
i don't know why teams just dont make them run for the endzone every play..

I still dont get why michael lewis never got a chance to catch the deep one.

Michael Lewis was wide open deep in Seatle twice. AB overthrew the first one and underthrew the second one allowing the db to knock it down. We lost a close game that if we make those two plays we win easily that day. In the Lewis Show video you will see him make a grab in traffic on a post pattern that he got creamed on at the goaline but held on for the score. When given the chance at wr he was productive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom