N/S Jaguars Moving To London A Possibility (1 Viewer)

Where are you getting this from?

The NFL is the highest rated program on television. It’s 100 times more popular than MLB, NBA, and NHL.

The NFL draft had 5.5 million viewers, the Stanley Cup had 4.7 million.

MLB this week - Red Sox vs Yankees - two of the most popular baseball teams in history, 4.4 million viewers.

NFL this week - Saints vs Redskins - a small market team vs a large market - 10 million viewers.

The NFL is the highest rated program on television.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1592862002
yup
there maybe be some longterm difficulties on the horizon but these narratives about declining NFL just have no data backing them

I am pretty sure that you get a full credit (or deduction, but you can choose to take as a credit) for foreign taxes paid. I am not a tax lawyer, but my understanding is that if you pay foreign taxes, you get an offsetting credit for those taxes on what would be due to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p514

It's complicated. You can get a credit up to whatever the US tax bill would be but then you've got to factor in what those calculators don't. Things like deductions in the US vs. UK that would lower the effective rate (the US is obviously famous for it's loopholes), where the income is earned, council taxes (i.e. local taxes in the UK), VAT on purchases, etc.

Because the player will make almost half his income on US soil, he won't be able to offset the entire difference either as what jurisdiction you earn the income in matters to the credit.

It's almost a certainty that even an NFL player living in NY City (and that's the most extreme example along with CA), will pay less in the end than someone playing in London. Then you've got other costs like increased travel costs, having to maintain a 2nd residence in a foreign country, paying property taxes on it (no credit for that), and the generally higher living expenses in Europe (VAT, cost of living, etc.).

It's gonna be a freaking cluster if this happens. The travel and having to live in a foreign country alone are enough to discourage most top FAs unless they overpay. The tax issues are just another part of the equation, along with the issues of competitive advantage due to travel distances.

The better solution would be to let the Jags play 4 games a year there IMO.

As I say the game over here has never been stronger or more popular. The 4 games this year will sell out immediately as they do each year. I'm just not sure that a fixed team would work.

My friend, the 1980s were the high point of football popularity in this country (UK). So many people were enraptured by the spectacle of football that we had literally hundreds of home grown teams playing the game and in front of crowds of thousands. The domestic game later collapsed through a number of factors, including greed and mismanagement, but the fact remains that the interest today is a shadow of what there was back then.

Last edited:
The NFL is the only sport able to market training camp as a show.

I know most of us don’t want the Saints on Hard Knocks, but I bet 70% of us would watch coaches film of training camp if they released it. I know I would.

Think about that, millions of NFL fans would watch practice.

Most people don’t even show up to watch their own kids’ practice.

Is anyone else irritated with games in Mexico already? I mean this country treats its citizens so bad they risk death to come to america.....

My friend, the 1980s were the high point of football popularity in this country. So many people were enraptured by the spectacle of football that we had literally hundreds of home grown teams playing the game and in front of crowds of thousands. The domestic game later collapsed through a number of factors, including greed and mismanagement, but the fact remains that the interest today is a shadow of what there was back then.
The 1988 Super Bowl netted 80 million viewers. The Super Bowl now gets over 100 million. 95% of the top rated programs on tv were NFL games. I'd say it's more popular now.

The 1988 Super Bowl netted 80 million viewers. The Super Bowl now gets over 100 million. 95% of the top rated programs on tv were NFL games. I'd say it's more popular now.

You may not have picked up on my locality - I'm talking about popularity in the UK.

It's complicated. You can get a credit up to whatever the US tax bill would be but then you've got to factor in what those calculators don't. Things like deductions in the US vs. UK that would lower the effective rate (the US is obviously famous for it's loopholes), where the income is earned, council taxes (i.e. local taxes in the UK), VAT on purchases, etc.

Because the player will make almost half his income on US soil, he won't be able to offset the entire difference either as what jurisdiction you earn the income in matters to the credit.

It's almost a certainty that even an NFL player living in NY City (and that's the most extreme example along with CA), will pay less in the end than someone playing in London. Then you've got other costs like increased travel costs, having to maintain a 2nd residence in a foreign country, paying property taxes on it (no credit for that), and the generally higher living expenses in Europe (VAT, cost of living, etc.).

It's gonna be a freaking cluster if this happens. The travel and having to live in a foreign country alone are enough to discourage most top FAs unless they overpay. The tax issues are just another part of the equation, along with the issues of competitive advantage due to travel distances.

The better solution would be to let the Jags play 4 games a year there IMO.

I agree with all of that. I don't think the reason for it not to happen will be taxes. I think there would be some CPA/Tax analysis of the whole thing and there would be an "adjustment" made so that the team would pay players a little more to make up the difference. I could even see the NFL kicking in directly, a percentage to make up the difference.

I don't know if the NFL in London is a good idea or a bad idea, but I do know that if the NFL thinks it makes financial sense for the league, they won't allow the tax issue to break the deal.

I agree with all of that. I don't think the reason for it not to happen will be taxes. I think there would be some CPA/Tax analysis of the whole thing and there would be an "adjustment" made so that the team would pay players a little more to make up the difference. I could even see the NFL kicking in directly, a percentage to make up the difference.

I don't know if the NFL in London is a good idea or a bad idea, but I do know that if the NFL thinks it makes financial sense for the league, they won't allow the tax issue to break the deal.

They'll seek an exemption. The U.K. May give it to them if they think the financial payoff is big enough.

They'll seek an exemption. The U.K. May give it to them if they think the financial payoff is big enough.
It's conceivable that for the purposes of training and residence that a 'London' team wouldn't be based in London. They'd have a US base for training and staying at in-between consecutive road games, and the London stadium for home games. So the players primary residence would still be the US.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom