N/S Jaguars Moving To London A Possibility (1 Viewer)

The NFL just loves to make a simple kids game all kinds of complex.

I think we're all being naive if we ever believed the NFL, even decades ago, was a simple kids game. It's a business, and has been for half a century or more.

natl-football-league-commissioner-pete-rozelle-holding-together-2-picture-id50699179

They'd need to switch divisions with the dolphins.

I love tacos too but ain't noway a team is going to that country in its current condition.

What player in their right mind would take their family to Mexico City given the issues with kidnappings and the cartels?

I was thinking more like Cancun - Playa Del Carmen - Rivera Maya... I have taken my kids there on many occasions... It's basically a US resort area / Disney Land for Adults.

And like I said, Street Tacos / Churros vs Fish / Chips is no contest IMO...

Last edited:
I don't know why they keep trying to force this London idea. Are there metrics that show a strong desire for American football in the UK, or is this just the NFL trying to cram their product down a foreign country's throat? Canada seems like the more logical choice since they already have the CFL there as a quasi feeder league.

There has definitely been an increase in interest here in the UK. Sky TV (Murdoch) for better or worse made the EPL what it is today as a global brand. They have been showing NFL games for a few years and that's helped. On top of that the BBC (free to air) have programmes on Saturday night previewing games and then on Tuesday showing highlights. There's definitely an increase in interest. The Panthers' Efe Obada has increased media interest too.
The London games sell out very quickly and as it's been pointed out, Khan will buy Wembley. The new stadium built for Tottenham can host NFL games too.
Most fans over here have already adopted a team and culturally you don't change so I'm not sure how many fans a London club would attract.
Seems to me there are too many indicators and potential $$ to be made for this not to happen. I'm not convinced it will be a success though.

This has been out there for years now. I just don't see how it would be possible, the logistical challenges would be huge, and I don't think the NFL has figured out all the ramifications of going international...

The flight from Los Angeles to London would be pretty painful.
In my view, it's a bad idea--which is why the current commissioner will support it.

Glazer- Tampa Bay
Funny story about the Glazers.

I had to fly to Tampa last year as part of a deal we were putting together. It was August and it was a slow period in the area. I was going to do a site visit at this location in Bradenton, Fla but they could only get me a room at this swanky hotel in Ybor (it was a hell of a drive) for some weird reason.

The day of the trip my flight kept getting pushed around and so instead of landing at 5pm I got in at 8:30, and finally got to my hotel at 9:30. The driver drops me off at the hotel and I go to the counter and there is a big crowd of staff waiting in the lobby.

The guy checking me in is all excited, and doing his normal check in thing, and two other people are offering me drinks, and food. This was really odd to me, I’ve done this check in song and dance before, but nobody ever offered me food and drinks upon check in.

They get around to asking who my reservation was with (the company made the reservation so I gave them that name), and then they asked to see my ID. I gave them my ID and they suddenly got really sad. They asked, “your name is ___________.” And I replied yes.

Apparently everyone was super excited because the person that booked my reservation put my name as Avram Glazer. That’s not even close to my name, and I don’t know why they put that in there, but they all thought I was him.

When I got up to my hotel room I had to look up who Avram Glazer was. Man, I couldn’t look any different from that guy. He is old and bald, and I am 35 short and hairy. I honestly think one person created the buzz and it just built up, nobody really knew what the hell Avram Glazer looked like, otherwise they wouldn’t have confused me with him.

Tampa has a great bunch of Cuban sandwiches.

It's a 6 hr flight from San Fran to New York.

Add 50 mins and you can get from NY to London.

Longest flight I could find was London to LA @ 10hrs & 10 mins and that was only 5 mins longer than London to Green Bay.

Which is to say that you are only adding a max of 4 hrs travel.

With creative scheduling, I bet it could be made to work.
But you are comparing one of the longest travel situations currently in the NFL to the closest that a London team would endure.

I love tacos too but ain't noway a team is going to that country in its current condition.

What player in their right mind would take their family to Mexico City given the issues with kidnappings and the cartels?
petition the NFL to decriminalize all drugs
get cartel foot soldiers to take over security
get cartel upper management to take over Big Pharma to make drug companies more ethical
then move the Cowboys to Aztec Stadium
there is not one loser in this scenario

Nice to see how the biggest hold up is how Khan and the players can avoid those steep taxes on high incomes.

I was thinking the same thing, then I did the math. I used online calculators of combined State and Local taxes (I used New York State, because that is one of the higher ones and because they would probably have the Jets in their new division.) and a UK income tax calculator. I also used "single" because I would guess that slightly more NFL players are single than married.

I used the following yearly salaries:

NFL Minimum: $480,000
Yearly of $1.5 Million
Yearly of $10 million

NY State and combined Federal taxes, take-home pay:

$480K > $287K
$1.5M > $800K
$10M > $5.38M

UK Taxes: (all converted to pounds and back to dollars)

$480K > $216K
$1.5M > $809K
$10M > $5.31M

So, actually, not a massive difference in taxes, plus, you have to consider that half their games would be in the USA and the USA would tax them, and they would also get a credit for taxes paid in the UK.

All in all, taxes would be close to a wash for most players. (I know Florida has no income tax, so the Jags would get hit, but most states do have income taxes, though not as high as NY.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom