N/S Jaguars Moving To London A Possibility (1 Viewer)

Shahid Khan has withdrawn his proposal to buy Wembley after it became a source of controversy and rancor within the Football Association. At least for the moment, this is not expected to change the already announced plans for the NFL to use Wembley as well as the new Tottenham stadium once it's finished. Whether it affects any unannounced plans for the Jaguars--well, other than Shad Khan, who knows?

Khan’s offer promised a “transformational change” while preserving Wembley for England matches and the other set piece football occasions. Glenn told the council in May that by investing the sale proceeds and seeking matched funding for it the FA could release £1bn for grassroots facilities while still having £450m in the bank. Sport England, whose £120m grant towards Wembley’s £757m rebuilding and 2007 reopening would have been reinvested in grassroots facilities, and the sports minister, Tracey Crouch, both supported the sale in principle.

Yet opposition seemed to grow the longer the idea had to sink in. The FA found in a recent survey that 45% of grassroots players, officials and other participants were against it. One player – quoted with admirable openness by the FA – said in a painful nutshell: “It’s like selling Buckingham Palace to Donald Trump.”

Premier League should contribute more after collapse of Wembley sale

Wembley will not be sold by the FA after Shahid Khan withdraws offer

Doesn't change the fact he's English.
Doesn't change the fact that I feel no more likely to root for him or his team.

I root for Alex because I know him a little and was coaching at his first ever introduction to football. That's a connection.

Blindly following a team just because someone spent a small portion of their life in the same country as you isn't a connection. In my opinion.

There is a way around the logistics. A team can work in London. I just don't like seeing teams move.

There is a way around the logistics. A team can work in London. I just don't like seeing teams move.
Don't worry Nene, the London franchise myth is a ticket sales drive, nothing more. Same PR every year.

Honestly it kind of makes more sense.
There are only 3 London games.
The jags have 8 home games, 4 of which are division games. You could have 3 of the non-division games be in London and that would make it more of a stable thing.
If they did it this way, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Jags would have a huge advantage in these games though, unless they were spaced out evenly throughout the season.

Doesn't change the fact that I feel no more likely to root for him or his team.

I root for Alex because I know him a little and was coaching at his first ever introduction to football. That's a connection.

Blindly following a team just because someone spent a small portion of their life in the same country as you isn't a connection. In my opinion.
There's 32 teams, all based in America. 90% of fans who have picked a team have no "connection".
What difference does it make? People won't shun a potential London franchise because it doesn't have any English players.

Regardless, the question was about English players in the league, which I answered.

Honestly, I think they'll just change the name to the London/Jacksonville Jaguars and just play two or three games in London.

Even if they could figure out the tax issues, travel issues, etc. they'll still be at a big disadvantage. You will absolutely have draft picks refusing to go play for them. Then you've got other competitive disadvantages like attracting coaches, getting top UDFAs to go there, signing FAs (especially mid-range guys who can't demand inflated deals).

It's the combination of all those things that makes it unworkable. Well, unworkable if they care about ever winning games at least.

Honestly, I think they'll just change the name to the London/Jacksonville Jaguars and just play two or three games in London.

This.

There's 32 teams, all based in America. 90% of fans who have picked a team have no "connection".
What difference does it make? People won't shun a potential London franchise because it doesn't have any English players.

Regardless, the question was about English players in the league, which I answered.

I'd say closer to 90% of US fans have a much stronger connection than you think or understand, that being the team in question is often in their home town or state.

And while I don't agree with the premise that a naturalised American is inherently British because the NFL wants us to buy more Wembley tickets, I do agree that the 'home town player' element would make little difference over here. What percentage of Premier League teams have players in from their town or county, for a start?

I'd say closer to 90% of US fans have a much stronger connection than you think or understand, that being the team in question is often in their home town or state.

And while I don't agree with the premise that a naturalised American is inherently British because the NFL wants us to buy more Wembley tickets, I do agree that the 'home town player' element would make little difference over here. What percentage of Premier League teams have players in from their town or county, for a start?
Sorry I was referring to British fans and their chosen teams.

As for the last question. How many clubs have English players full stop. And you can start to include the Championship in that now too.

Sorry I was referring to British fans and their chosen teams.

As for the last question. How many clubs have English players full stop. And you can start to include the Championship in that now too.
Ahhh, that makes more sense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom