N/S Jamarcus Russell officially a bust? (1 Viewer)

The guy will be out of the NFL soon. He can't go through his progressions even with time. He locks onto one WR and thats the guy he throws to. With an accurate passer that team would be 2-1 maybe better. Russell single handedly loses the games for them. All a D has to do is stack 9 in the box and put the CBs on an island because Russell looks like Stevie Wonder back there.

Cant blame the organization for his inaccuracy. His work ethic sucks.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/2205217.html

Last Modified: Thursday, Sep. 24, 2009 - 8:53 am
ALAMEDA – You want to give JaMarcus Russell the benefit of the doubt. Really, you do.

He's a kid, you remind yourself. A mere babe who, at 24, still is the third-youngest starting quarterback in the NFL. A phenom with a rocket launcher for an arm who still is trying to find his way after losing his father figure this offseason when his beloved uncle Ray passed away.

But before you give him a pass, you remember the former No. 1 overall draft pick wrecked his rookie season by holding out until after the regular-season opener. You see how out of shape he reported to camp in this, his critical third season, and wonder about his work ethic after getting a guaranteed $32 million.

Then come days like Wednesday.

Three days after the Raiders needed Russell to lead them to a 13-10 comeback victory at Kansas City because, well, Russell himself was so bad, he did himself no favors in attempting to convert his growing legion of critics.

Russell, he of the 35.2 percent passing and the 30th-ranked quarterback in the 32-team NFL, all but laid the blame for his inaccuracy at the swift feet of his young receiving corps.

"Most of them are learning on the move," Russell said.

Asked if he wondered why it has been so difficult for him to succeed when other young quarterbacks Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez are virtual overnight sensations, Russell shrugged.

"That's out of my league, and I play for the Raiders," he said, "not for those other teams."

The best, though, came when he essentially said all those three-and-out offensive series against the Chiefs didn't bother him because, get this, the Raiders have an "all-world" punter in Shane Lechler.
Can't move the ball? No biggie. Let the punter pin 'em back.

Yes, he really implied that. [ed. note "implied?" Hipple]

At least he acknowledged he still has stuff to work on.

"Everything," he said.

Thankfully, it's all correctable. At least according to Rich Gannon.
Though you half expected the former Raiders quarterback to angrily carve up Russell, he more scientifically dissected him.

"A couple of things are very glaring," Gannon said Wednesday on his SIRIUS NFL Radio show. "He falls away from throws. He seems to bail. I think a rush up inside bothers him. He needs to get more bend in his knees when he throws. He's very upright. It may have something to do with his weight."

For some added drama, Gannon works this weekend's Raiders-Denver game as a color commentator for CBS.

"He seems to be more comfortable operating out of shotgun than he does under center," Gannon added. "He doesn't do a very good job seeing out in front of throws. That comes with experience, really understanding and anticipating coverages.

"When you look at the offensive game plan, the passing game, I think they've condensed the plan. It's not very complicated. Fundamentally, right now, he is not very sound. His mechanics, his footwork, it's inconsistent."

A year ago, Russell raised hackles when he skipped out on a production meeting with ESPN.

This week, he would be wise to search out Gannon. Maybe he can learn a little something at the foot of the former MVP.

People are trying to defend Russell by saying the rest of the team sucks.
Perhaps the rest of the team sucks because they are being held back by Russell's TERRIBLE QB play.

no the Raiders are just a bust of an organization.. he STILL has absolutely nobody to throw to, anybody who thinks Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, or Mark Sanchez wouldve faired any better in this situation doesnt watch enough football

Really??? I think Jamarcus is the reason the Raiders arent winning. If Jeff Garcia was their QB, I think the Raiders may be the top team in the AFC west. Yes...better than the Chargers and Denver. As horrid as Jamarcus is playing, they still keep it really close.

By the way, YES. Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez, and Stafford wouldve faired better. Its not the WRs fault in Oak, theyre not dropping balls, and if YOU were watching, you'd see that they do get open, open a lot as a matter of fact. Jamarcus has nowhere near the football IQ as those QBs, and its very apparent. Jamarcus is totally off target, and failing to recognize the open recievers. Dont blame the players around him, cause theyre making plays. I think they have big potential at WR. Murphy, Schilens, and especially Zach Miller, are on the cusp, Jamarcus just cant put the ball in their hands. Not to mention their running game is their strength. All Jamarcus has to do is not make mistakes, and if you watch the games, you should be able to see that his mistakes are costing the Raiders wins.

Oh, and yes. I too agree that Russell is a bust. He's a buster. Maybe a bigger buster than Alex Smith.

I was a big Jamarcus Russell supporter and I still wish him luck, but he is without a doubt a big time BUST right now. I am totally shocked at just how bad he is sucking. I now some of his suckage can be atributed to playing on a disfunctional Raiders team but dang... he is really stinking it up.

I don't care what supporting cast he has around him, for the money he is getting paid he should be producing FAR better.

I am shocked he is now such a huge bust. I really thought he would be at least decent if not great in the NFL.

People are trying to defend Russell by saying the rest of the team sucks.
Perhaps the rest of the team sucks because they are being held back by Russell's TERRIBLE QB play.

Bingo.

With a better QB the Raiders win in week 1 and they don't get blown out in week 3.

They also don't have to scrap through a win against KC.

He is a BUST.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-is-jamarcus-russell-betraying-raider-nation

After the Bronco game some tailgaters, who were parked by the road where the players come and go, said this was what they saw:

"Our tailgate happens next to the road the players drive in and out of the stadium. After the dismal game, some of the boys went back to do a bit more tailgating and eat...a white Rolls Royce is leaving the stadium with JaMarcus Russell driving...fans know this and are booing...the passenger side window rolls down and with JaMarcus driving one of his home boys on the passenger side yells out 'Well at least we are eating good, you guys are still broke'...and JaMarcus visibly chuckles in the driver's seat..."

Bingo.

With a better QB the Raiders win in week 1 and they don't get blown out in week 3.

They also don't have to scrap through a win against KC.

Personally I thought the WR's and their drops were more responsible than Russell in that first game. Murphy dropped a couple easy ones in crucial situations.

With that said, I thought week 1 was the best he's looked since coming into the league, and it still wasn't very good. Since then he has regressed. I would possibly give him until the end of the season before calling him a sure-fire bust.

BTW, the raiders are a joke and at least 50% responsible for him never developing.

Jamarcus is lazy and unmotivated. He is fat....again. He cares more about his bling in his ears than watching gametape. It's disgusting to see someone so blessed with physical talent and a 10 cent brain. If his agent had a clue he would hire Rich Gannon to tutor him.

not sure how I missed this thread, but I said he would bust from the beginning...LSU fan and all..

I'm a LSU fan and I wasn't a big fan of his at LSU. I honestly don't see what Oakland, or any NFL team, ever saw in him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom