N/S Jamarcus Russell officially a bust? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Littlejeans

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
61 yards passing and 2 interceptions on 23 attempts? There are bad QBs on bad teams, but with his arm strength he oughtta be able to complete some balls, even if he can't read a defense.

Per Peter King:

"I think, from the sound of the boos at Oakland on Sunday, the locals have had just about enough of JaMarcus Russell. His first three series: three-and-out, interception on a deep ball intended for Heyward-Bey, another interception on a deep ball intended for Heyward-Bey. That dug the Raiders a 10-0 hole they could never get out of, and Oakland had to throw mostly short stuff the rest of the day, fearful of Russell turning it over more. His 12 completions resulted in a measly 61 yards. I'm starting to think we're watching the second coming of Ryan Leaf."

Maybe he can scrounge out a decent career, but he has been utterly horrible this year.

I was really hoping the light would come on this year but it really looks like he'll bust. He's had at least a couple close receptions overturned this year but not enough to excuse the horrendous numbers he's posted. In his 3rd year, he HAS to be better than he has been and, well, he just hasn't. Could it be that he's getting cruddy training, or is he really just that dense.

he is a bust.

he might be recoverable, but first he needs to get benched and given time to develop on a respectable team, with good coaching. even with all that he seems really bad.

he is a bust.

he might be recoverable, but first he needs to get benched and given time to develop on a respectable team, with good coaching. even with all that he seems really bad.
I was shocked when Garcia wasn't named the starter this year to allow Russell time to develop. But I'm not even sure that he *is* going to develop. He appears to be regressing to me. They need a good QB coach to come in and fix his fundamentals. The problem with a guy with so much physical ability is that many times he will never develop sound fundamentals. His physical talent allowed him to get this far but you can't succeed in the NFL with pure physical ability alone.

Not only is he a bust, but he's so bad, he's killing my fantasy team.

McFadden and Bush don't have a chance with such a horrible QB. If the Raiders had even a passable NFL QB, I think McFadden and Bush would be one of the better tandems in the NFL.

I said from the beginning that if he was drafted by the raiders and made a starter right away, he wouldn't do well. He should have sat behind someone and learned for 2 years.

With good coaching and a solid organization, he could still have a very good career ... just not in Oakland. The organization is like the Saints were in the first 10-15 years ... dysfunctional.

Russell does prove, however, that arm strength is the most overrated aspect of rating QB prospects coming into professional football. Accuracy, ability to read defenses, quick release ... all are more important.

no the Raiders are just a bust of an organization.. he STILL has absolutely nobody to throw to, anybody who thinks Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, or Mark Sanchez wouldve faired any better in this situation doesnt watch enough football

I'm a huge LSU fan and realized that the guy has more physical talent than just about any QB I've ever seen but wouldn't have considered drafting him on the first day let alone the first round.

He is making the same mistakes he made at LSU every season. He holds the ball too long, lacks any anticipation and doesn't understand his receiver's routes and how they will come open against certain coverages. If he could just stand back there without a pass rush and wait for guys to come wide open 40 yards down the field then he'd be the best QB ever.

In fairness to him, his best WR is injured and the two WRs Oakland has starting are both rookies. Schilens is a stud and when he gets back it may help a little but I really think Oakland could have made some noise this season with Garcia at QB.

Bust is a strong word. It means you've reached the point of no return and will never live up to the expectations of your pick. Given he was the # 1 pick, yes, he is officially a bust.

Maybe before the Matt Ryans, Joe Flaccos, and Sanchez's of the worlds upp'd the expectations of 1st round QB's Jam would be given a little more lieniancy.

I don't see him turning it around in Oakland and I don't see him starting over anyone else in the league right now. I can name a few backups that I would play over him also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom