N/S Jamie Collins to the Browns [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

Maybe this will help set the trade market for Haden. Similar caliber player but with a larger contract. 3rd-4th round pick should do it.

He's a FA at the end of the year, had they let him go in FA he would have gotten them a compensatory 3rd round pick. So essentially all they did was trade their best defensive player in the middle of a playoff run to move up 30 or so spots in the 3rd round.

I just ran this by a friend of mine that's a huge Pats fan, and he said Collins turned down a contract for 11 mill/yr. I don't know if that's true or not (I have no reason not to believe him), but if that's the case, then I can see why they dealt him.

He's a FA at the end of the year, had they let him go in FA he would have gotten them a compensatory 3rd round pick. So essentially all they did was trade their best defensive player in the middle of a playoff run to move up 30 or so spots in the 3rd round.

Possibly. While it wouldn't fit the mold of how the Patriots do things, it's not a guarantee he'd garner a 3rd rounder compensatory pick. For one thing, he could suffer a significant injury, face league discipline for some future item, etc. Not saying that's likely, but this is an insurance policy against this. Secondly, they could sign players that ultimately offset his loss, since it's a portion of the formula. Since the Patriots don't often shell out for free agents, it may seem unlikely, but again, it's an insurance policy.

Obviously the question is did they cash in that policy at the right time when things, or will it haunt them not to have it later. I guess only time will tell.

I wanted this guy coming out of college, shame we didn't do that deal, but this next draft is loaded, a fact I'm sure the Pats are aware of.

The Pats try to make you think all of their moves are the smart moves but in this case I think they got it wrong big time. A third round pick is a steal for his talents
even if he's in the last year of his rookie deal. I bet the Saints would have given them
a 3rd and 4th round pick.

Its not just Collins they're trading... its his contract (demands).

Patriots get ahead of pending free agency issues, trade Jamie Collins to Browns

In his fourth year out of Southern Mississippi, Collins started six of seven games for the Patriots this season, recording two interceptions and a sack. But a source tells the Boston Globe’s Ben Volin that New England was “having a lot of trouble” as it tried to negotiate a long-term contract with Collins, who was set to become a free agent after the season and turned down an $11 million offer from the Patriots.

Volin adds that the Browns likely want to keep Collins for the long term and could put the franchise tag on him in the offseason, retaining his rights should the two sides not agree to an extension.

Volin said the NFL’s franchise tag should be around $15 million this spring. In essence, the Patriots will get the third-round pick one year earlier, the Browns’ choice in 2017. Had they let Collins walk via free agency after this season, they would have received a compensatory pick in 2018.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-agency-issues-trade-jamie-collins-to-browns/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m told Collins turned down $11m per year from the Patriots. Franchise Tag should be around $15m this spring</p>&mdash; Ben Volin (@BenVolin) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/793133659503165440">October 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Man we should have been all over this trade. Collins is a player I think this defense desparely needs in our front 7. So versatile being able to rush the passer and drop in coverage with the best. Would have fit in even better here IMO getting after the QB opposite Cam. Collins/Fairley/Rankins/Cam would have been on hell of a pass rush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom