N/S: Jeff Backus Retires (1 Viewer)

JackDiesel

SR is my life!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lions LT Jeff Backus is retiring from football.
The No. 18 pick of the 2001 draft, Backus missed one game in 12 seasons. He was never a Pro Bowler or All Pro along the way, but was a strong pass protector up until 2012, where his play began to slip. He had been bandied about as a candidate for release before today's announcement. The Lions are now left with holes at both tackle spots, and will have to thrust unproven 2012 first-round pick Riley Reiff into one of them. The owners of the No. 5 pick, the Lions should be linked to each of the draft's top tackles between now and April 25.

This could actually be huge for us in terms of how the draft plays out. The Lions almost have to go tackle with their first round pick as we all saw what happened when Stafford wasn't protected. Which means the chances of a tackle dropping to us dropped significantly and the chances that a pass rusher falls to us just increased.

Hmmm, I wonder how much of a chance one falls to us if Philly adds Barwin.
Browns got Kruger

Other teams I know of in need of pass rushers would be JAX, NYJ, DET

I remember him from his days at Michigan. The guy was the most underrated LT in the game (don't get me wrong, as he was payed well). He never made any all pro or pro bowl teams but he kept a lot of crappy qb's clean for 12 years. Well next year Lewan will be the next big LT to come out of U of M, like Backus before him, and Runyan before him, and Jumbo Elliot before him....

Go Blue!

I rem going crazy cuz dude put up 46 reps on the bench at the combine a couple of years ago. I wonder what his reason is for retiring.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom