N/S Jeff McLane Twitter talks about Ravens LB Coach possibly to Eagles (1 Viewer)

As far as the NFL rule on hiring goes, the move from LB coach to defensive coordinator is considered a lateral move and can be blocked by the retaining team.

Correct. But no team is going to block that move. Otherwise they would have a very bitter coach on their hands.

Correct. But no team is going to block that move. Otherwise they would have a very bitter coach on their hands.

This happens more often than we realize. Off the top of my head, I remember the Packers preventing Chicago from interviewing Clements to be their OC and it wasn't for several more years until they promoted Clements to OC for their own team.

Edit: A quick search pulls up links like this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gain-from-meeting-with-potential-coordinator/ which show a couple other teams from blocking position coaches from interviewing to be coordinators

You're going to have to show proof of that for me to buy it. This is the 1st time I've ever heard of this. Ever.

I posted these links in another thread but it may provide the proof you are looking for.

Currently NFL rule states that if you are not a HC you are an assistant. It matters not if you are a DL coach, Secondary coach, or Defensive coordinator you are considered an assistant.

That means that outside of a promotion to HC it is considered a lateral move and the assistant must gain permission from their current team to interview for the job.

So in our case any SF/BAL assistant would need permission from their team to interview for our DC opening.

The links below may to a better job explaining this than I have.

Link1

Link2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom