N/S Jerry Jones did what? (1 Viewer)

Not to defend Jerry Jones, but that was a different time. Not saying it was right in any way, just saying that I think he's made up for any stupid teenage mistakes. The Joneses are one of the most generous families around, donating to several charities.

Not to defend Jerry Jones, but that was a different time. Not saying it was right in any way, just saying that I think he's made up for any stupid teenage mistakes. The Joneses are one of the most generous families around, donating to several charities.
I really don’t want this to go off topic, so this is all I have to say.
“Different time, different era” isn’t an excuse.

If anyone has not ever done anything wrong in their life, then pick up the Stone and throw it at him. Everyone and I mean everyone has done things they wish they had back. Drop the stones and go home.
This. I don’t like JJ. But I can’t judge a person based off one mistake nearly 70 years ago. He may or may not be a different person now than he was then. At least I’m hoping so.

:) that photo shows him looking at something. But seriously…he’s super rich, and I’m sure he’s a horrible person. But that photo from the 50s is little proof of anything.

That and every single person of his era in his place did the same thing.

Save one or two who were lynched or run out of town.

A youthful mistake huh? Who here would say that Germans who went along with Hitler's rhetoric were making a youthful mistake? A little anti-Semitism back in the day is okay as long as they donate to their favorite charities now?

Yes, this picture is only a still shot, one moment in thousands that took place before and after that picture. One thing is for sure, he was there. He wasn't in the group off to either side or the group behind the Black students, no he was in the group directly in front blocking their entrance. The old adage says a picture is worth a thousand words. If that's true, most of the words being said by this picture are saying exactly what it looks like.

That and every single person of his era in his place did the same thing.

Save one or two who were lynched or run out of town.
I was pleasantly surprised to see how rational most responses are on this thread.

What truly makes me shake my head is the absolute conviction that some people have that they would have "done and thought the right thing" as a young person, in the face of indoctrination and example set by every person they loved, admired, went to school with, socialized with, etc., etc. -- all without any consideration for the time and force of will it takes to actually swim upstream against that.

Frankly, the people we need to be most afraid of are the ones with that level of absolute conviction that everything they think is "right" and that anyone who thinks or ever thought otherwise is unredeemable. That's the first step to dehumanizing someone, and I think we all know what comes after that.

Just stop. America isn’t the racist country that you’d love it to be. I’m so tired of this crap. So are my friends of all the races that are “oppressed.” We work together, dine together, get $hitfaced on weekends together, double date, all of it. People are tired of this crap. Are there idiots who are actually racist? Of course. On all sides. But that percentage is so damn small they hardly exist and who the hell gives a damn about them. We’ll never move past this narrative as long as people like you keep pushing it.

“We can’t judge something he did so many years ago”

Really? Then what can we judge? Lol actions tell us who people are and who they aren’t. Too many apologists in this forum for racist morons.
You're missing the point.

Although perhaps someone posted their point imprecisely, there is no one on this thread defending someone's reprehensible act as a young person many years ago. The objection is to automatically judging someone today as if what they did 65 years ago happened just yesterday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom