N/S Jerry Jones did what? (1 Viewer)

We do know one thing. Despite him now acknowledging that it is him in the photo, he has never apologized for it in the 65 years since. There were probly hundreds of students in that school and a small number of them chose to go to the school to specifically block the entrance that day to try to prevent black kids from attending his school, and he was one of them.

I agree there is every indication that he has done good in his life as he matured. However, he does need to acknowledge that his actions back then on that day were racist and wrong.
Why does he need to acknowledge something from 65 years ago? To make you or SJW feel better? It won’t change a thing. Because people that think thoughts like you’re saying aren’t really concerned about forgiveness and forgetting. They’re about payback. You ever do anything wrong in your younger days that you wouldn’t want a photo to surface of? Like a poster here, and the Bible says, let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Why does he need to acknowledge something from 65 years ago? To make you or SJW feel better? It won’t change a thing. Because people that think thoughts like you’re saying aren’t really concerned about forgiveness and forgetting. They’re about payback. You ever do anything wrong in your younger days that you wouldn’t want a photo to surface of? Like a poster here, and the Bible says, let he who is without sin cast the first stone
He does need to acknowledge it because he’s caught in a picture with a group that’s trying to prevent kids from going to school.

The concept of “Different time, Different Era” or “ Forgive and Forget” doesn’t work in this situation because it erases any culpability about why it was wrong to be with that group in the first place.

Not to defend Jerry Jones, but that was a different time. Not saying it was right in any way, just saying that I think he's made up for any stupid teenage mistakes. The Joneses are one of the most generous families around, donating to several charities.

Agree. Breaking News: “An old white man from the South in a position of power with a thick southern drawl accent was prejudiced in his youth.” lol

It's sad, but that was cultural norm during that time, and a young man in his position was likely just mimicking his parents and just about every other friend and relative surrounding him at that time after being told that black people were the worst human beings on the planet for his entire life.

I think we all did stupid things we'd be ashamed to admit we have done as a teenagers. I can't judge Jones based on this photo.

Now if he went home to a room full of n***** hate posters, black dolls hanging on ropes, and KKK paraphernalia, that would be something else.

Just stop. America isn’t the racist country that you’d love it to be. I’m so tired of this crap. So are my friends of all the races that are “oppressed.” We work together, dine together, get $hitfaced on weekends together, double date, all of it. People are tired of this crap. Are there idiots who are actually racist? Of course. On all sides. But that percentage is so damn small they hardly exist and who the hell gives a damn about them. We’ll never move past this narrative as long as people like you keep pushing it.

I wouldn't go this far.

You're likely speaking from a position of privilege of not living it. Trust me, racism in America is strongly embedded in its roots and is alive and well.

Sorry if you're tired of something that doesn't effect you, but it is not a "narrative" and isn't something that's going to go away simply by ignoring it.

There is something that bothers me when it comes to racial issues that I just quite can't understand. Why everytime there is an obvious issue when it pertains to a black people its always certain people "DEFLECTING" blame, "nah that can't be it", "nah the camera was turned the wrong way", he should have complied", or "nah he deserved it".

So I'm trying to understand something similar at work. I got a chance to speak with alot of my female co-workers the past few months and an alarming trend has come to my attention. They said that they all feel like they are not being heard and aren't treated as fairly as the men.

I scoffed at them saying your crazy, "You guys are treated fine/fairly, thats never happen to me, I DON'T SEE IT", then I paused for the cause and had an epiphany. Maybe it is happening, "JUST NOT TO ME" so I have no empathy toward the situation because its not me.

I'm not saying Jerral Wayne Jones is racist now, but because he is the owner of the most recognizable brand in football "America's team", I sorry I don't care how long its been, you gotta answer. I'll accept his response but it has to addressed.
This is the best of the thread and one person liked it
Then we have an all time ironic post starting with ‘america is not a racist country’ and 15 have liked it so far
What is abundantly clear is more than half of people chiming in would have been shoulder to shoulder with jerrah blocking black students from entering the school and their parents probably actually did those things

But in this post we get an example of what it’s like to view a situation from someone else’s pov
Believe them until you get evidence to the contrary
Spend less time defending your comfort and privilege and more time being human

Last edited:
Wow. I'm blown away at some of the responses excusing his actions. I've seen such a different response to others on this forum. Funny how that seems to work for certain people. SMH
Absolutely!
hundred-points_1f4af.png

My goodness, have you seen the posts on other threads where people staunchly defend Kyrie Irving, Tom Brady, and Elon Musk? You will be shocked and not too happy about it.

The moral decay in this country has jumped the shark and is now worse than tooth decay.

This is the best of the thread and one person liked it
Then we have an all time ironic post starting with ‘america is not a racist country’ and 15 have liked it so far
What is abundantly clear is more than half of people chiming in would have been shoulder to shoulder with jerrah blocking black students from entering the school and their parents probably actually did those things

But in this post we get an example of what it’s like to view a situation from someone else’s pov
Spend less time defending your comfort and privilege and more time being human

QFT

There is something that bothers me when it comes to racial issues that I just quite can't understand. Why everytime there is an obvious issue when it pertains to a black people its always certain people "DEFLECTING" blame, "nah that can't be it", "nah the camera was turned the wrong way", he should have complied", or "nah he deserved it".

So I'm trying to understand something similar at work. I got a chance to speak with alot of my female co-workers the past few months and an alarming trend has come to my attention. They said that they all feel like they are not being heard and aren't treated as fairly as the men.

I scoffed at them saying your crazy, "You guys are treated fine/fairly, thats never happen to me, I DON'T SEE IT", then I paused for the cause and had an epiphany. Maybe it is happening, "JUST NOT TO ME" so I have no empathy toward the situation because its not me.

I'm not saying Jerral Wayne Jones is racist now, but because he is the owner of the most recognizable brand in football "America's team", I sorry I don't care how long its been, you gotta answer. I'll accept his response but it has to addressed.

We don’t agree on much but your post above is outstanding….well done….my guess is that old Jerrah really hasn’t changed as much as many seem to think he did….

I found a article where he talked about the photograph but I'm not savy enough to know how to get it here. Not sure how long ago the article was. Easy to find though.

Jerry's the owner of the freaking cowboys and this is a Saints forum. We are going to bash him because he wears funny clothes, smells like cows and generally inhales vigorously, but for that?

You've done a phenomenal job on this thread providing context which is important and I'm not sure someone needs to make a public statement regarding everything from their past.
I wouldn't expect him to have to run out every five years with the sackcloth and ashes, apologizing and self-flagellating with a cat o'nine tails. But I would have expected that, as the leader of a very public organization that employs mostly African-Americans, at some point along the way there would have been some internal corporate sharing and discussion along diversity training lines where that had been shared and dealt with. Not because he "had" to but because it could be a very powerful example of benefit to the enterprise.

Wow, talk about irony.

I think you know that I respect you and your points of view but sometimes it seems that you're completely unwilling to even try to share the real-life point of view of someone else if that pov is distasteful or repugnant to your own current worldview. I'm sure that you believe in the effect of the Stockholm Syndrome on the human mind. Are you suggesting that its impact is limited only to those in the human race that you empathize with?

What about a person of color who grows up in abject poverty, in a community horribly impacted by systemic racism, with terrible parental influences (who themselves were so impacted), who gets in trouble with the law at 17? I know you don't support putting that kid in jail and throwing away the key. Why? And how, purely as a function of the working of the human mind, is that so different than a young person indoctrinated in racism with no external influence providing a different view?

And then making the leap that everyone who upvoted a particular post would also have been blocking the entrance to a school advancing through desegregation in 1957? For myself, I don't know how I would have reacted because I didn't live that life. Looking back on my own life in racial terms, there are some moments at which I shake my head thinking that I should have known better -- and others of which I am proud that I was ahead of the curve and took the right stance at some personal cost. But those decisions, good and bad, were the cumulative result of the events of every day that I lived before that. No one else lived that life but me, and so no one else really can know the amount of blame or credit I deserve for those decisions. Others can certainly make a judgment on the actions themselves, but the level of my true culpability is unknowable to others who didn't live my life. Hell, it's difficult enough for me to get a good gauge on how much I should excoriate my younger self.

And can we please stop with the misleading posts suggesting that anyone is "excusing" Jerry Jones' repugnant actions? I think I've read every post in this thread and I haven't seen anyone doing that. What's (largely) being objected to is the holier-than-thou rush to judgment by those who are so convinced that no amount of racial indoctrination, quite literally from birth, would have stopped them from doing the right thing. If you haven't actually lived it, you really don't know what you would have done.

So you tell me: what's the universal age at which each and every human, regardless of experience and personal makeup, doesn't deserve context to be understood for making repugnant decisions that negatively impact others? And, more frighteningly, who gets to decide that? You? The mob? While you're at it, you can also tell me the universal age at which every kid is an idiotic moron for still believing in Santa Claus. Not a perfect analogy for sure, but not a really bad one either.

With that, and perhaps also somewhat ironically, it's off to Thanksgiving so I won't be ignoring responses...just not having time to deal with them.

I'm surprised they didn't go back to his yearbook to see if he drank beer as well...

When I was fourteen, I thought Kiss was the greatest band ever...:0056:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom