N/S Jerry Jones did what? (1 Viewer)

Not trying to defend him at all, but that's just one photo and he could have been a passerby. I'm curious if there's more photos of him at other events. That would be telling.

Now compare how postwar Germans handled their prewar antisemitism vs how we’re ‘contextualizing’ pictures of well-to-do whites fighting integration
THAT’S the point
Lets not get too far ahead of the narrative and argue that most Germans, or Austrians for that matter, automatically became wholesale ashamed or at least privately/publicly admit or own up to their own collective involvement in Nazi atrocities. During the 1950's, anti-Jewish sentiments remained alarmingly high in German-speaking areas of central Europe, many individual Jews were stating a decade or so after the end of WWII that Nazism "was a good idea, but poorly, terribly executed". It wasnt until the late 60's, especially 1968 with the rise of far-left, anti-consumerist student groups like RZ, Beider-Meinhof Gang, the Red Guards that the first serious, blunt often violent discussions about their parents' involvement or culpability in Nazi war crimes or intentional aloofness began in earnest, and during the scope of the Cold War in a place like West Germany, people and groups like Red Guards, Beider-Meinhof members were considered East German GDR communist Fifth Columnists and ignored even by many on the " New Left". You had a wave of domestic terrorist attacks in summer and autumn 1977 called the "Deutschen Aubend"---German Autumn. In many respects, ordinary German culpability in how they were willing or reticent accomplices to the Holocaust didnt hit hard in contemporary German society, intellectual and social cultural discussions until the late 90's and thats 55 years after the end of WWII. One constant discussion in immediate post-WWII German society was this metaphorical, figurative search for the " good :Nazi"---this example of a high-ranking Nazi Gauleiter who like most Germans of the time, kept his head down, did his job and wasnt singularly involved in actually killing anyone himself directly and after the war and war trials, his reputation was mostly impeccable and not too insidious.

After WWII, many Germans viewed Albert Speer, one of Hitler'a few close friends, architect, and his armaments minister, as maybe embodying that "Good Nazi" because he didn't look like a war criminal, particularly evil or sinister like Himmler, Goerring, or Georbels, and expressed at Nuremberg that he was sorry for the death camps, atrocities, etc. Of course, Speer at Nuremberg knew Allied prosecutors and judges didn't have or know all of what he really had done during WWII, his presence at a October 1943 Himmler SS speech privately acknowledging the true scale and horror of the mass-scale killings in the camps, he personally visited Auschwitz, Treblinka, Chelmno, Madjanek, and Sorbibor. If we'd known in 1946 what we would find out in the 1980's after Speer's death, he wouldve rightly condemned to death along with the other high-ranking Nazi bureaucrats. But, for a long time, many individual West Germans saw Speer as a believable, moral/ethical acceptable baseline they could follow or emulate until the inconvenient truth came out.

But, dont assume or believe that it didn't take most Germans decades to come to this realization and in some respects, its a process thats still working itself out. One can't compare post-WWII Germany to Reconstruction-era South or former Confederacy. The immediate political efforts to reconstruct, rebuild Southern cities, states under Pres. Andrew Johnson and Radical Republicans was a abysmal failure, endemic corruption, terrible communication, corrupt military governors, politicians, and oh BTW, many Southern major cities werent being rebuilt, many Southern states local and regional economies were neglected and not modernized, so many Southerners viewed the Union armies as an occupation force then a force trying to rebuild farms, homes, businesses, ease tensions, build a larger industrialized base in the Deep South. That power vacuum allowed for radical, white vigilante groups like the KKK, White League, Yellow Jackets to come to prominence and disrupt the pace of socio-political, economic progress.

I would argue we did a far better, efficient job rebuilding Germany and western Europe after WWII then we did the former Confederacy after the Civil War simply due to better socio-political and economic policies and planning, intertwined with the fact that unlike former Confederacy, most Germans realized explicitly they'd lost the war that caused the dire situations they were living under.

Lets not get too far ahead of the narrative and argue that most Germans, or Austrians for that matter, automatically became wholesale ashamed or at least privately/publicly admit or own up to their own collective involvement in Nazi atrocities. During the 1950's, anti-Jewish sentiments remained alarmingly high in German-speaking areas of central Europe, many individual Jews were stating a decade or so after the end of WWII that Nazism "was a good idea, but poorly, terribly executed". It wasnt until the late 60's, especially 1968 with the rise of far-left, anti-consumerist student groups like RZ, Beider-Meinhof Gang, the Red Guards that the first serious, blunt often violent discussions about their parents' involvement or culpability in Nazi war crimes or intentional aloofness began in earnest, and during the scope of the Cold War in a place like West Germany, people and groups like Red Guards, Beider-Meinhof members were considered East German GDR communist Fifth Columnists and ignored even by many on the " New Left". You had a wave of domestic terrorist attacks in summer and autumn 1977 called the "Deutschen Aubend"---German Autumn. In many respects, ordinary German culpability in how they were willing or reticent accomplices to the Holocaust didnt hit hard in contemporary German society, intellectual and social cultural discussions until the late 90's and thats 55 years after the end of WWII. One constant discussion in immediate post-WWII German society was this metaphorical, figurative search for the " good :Nazi"---this example of a high-ranking Nazi Gauleiter who like most Germans of the time, kept his head down, did his job and wasnt singularly involved in actually killing anyone himself directly and after the war and war trials, his reputation was mostly impeccable and not too insidious.

After WWII, many Germans viewed Albert Speer, one of Hitler'a few close friends, architect, and his armaments minister, as maybe embodying that "Good Nazi" because he didn't look like a war criminal, particularly evil or sinister like Himmler, Goerring, or Georbels, and expressed at Nuremberg that he was sorry for the death camps, atrocities, etc. Of course, Speer at Nuremberg knew Allied prosecutors and judges didn't have or know all of what he really had done during WWII, his presence at a October 1943 Himmler SS speech privately acknowledging the true scale and horror of the mass-scale killings in the camps, he personally visited Auschwitz, Treblinka, Chelmno, Madjanek, and Sorbibor. If we'd known in 1946 what we would find out in the 1980's after Speer's death, he wouldve rightly condemned to death along with the other high-ranking Nazi bureaucrats. But, for a long time, many individual West Germans saw Speer as a believable, moral/ethical acceptable baseline they could follow or emulate until the inconvenient truth came out.

But, dont assume or believe that it didn't take most Germans decades to come to this realization and in some respects, its a process thats still working itself out. One can't compare post-WWII Germany to Reconstruction-era South or former Confederacy. The immediate political efforts to reconstruct, rebuild Southern cities, states under Pres. Andrew Johnson and Radical Republicans was a abysmal failure, endemic corruption, terrible communication, corrupt military governors, politicians, and oh BTW, many Southern major cities werent being rebuilt, many Southern states local and regional economies were neglected and not modernized, so many Southerners viewed the Union armies as an occupation force then a force trying to rebuild farms, homes, businesses, ease tensions, build a larger industrialized base in the Deep South. That power vacuum allowed for radical, white vigilante groups like the KKK, White League, Yellow Jackets to come to prominence and disrupt the pace of socio-political, economic progress.

I would argue we did a far better, efficient job rebuilding Germany and western Europe after WWII then we did the former Confederacy after the Civil War simply due to better socio-political and economic policies and planning, intertwined with the fact that unlike former Confederacy, most Germans realized explicitly they'd lost the war that caused the dire situations they were living under.
Thanks.

I started to respond and then realized I had peaced out on this thread. As always though, your historically substantial post is infinitely better than whatever poor effort I would have offered.

Not to defend Jerry Jones, but that was a different time. Not saying it was right in any way, just saying that I think he's made up for any stupid teenage mistakes. The Joneses are one of the most generous families around, donating to several charities.
Donating money to charities don't mean a thing, just look at Darren Sharper being an advocate for women.

There's an article about this in today's Dallas Morning News. It's paywalled, but here's a few snippets.

The date was Sept. 9, 1957. It was a different time in our country. A time when the Supreme Court ruled schools could no longer segregate based on race. It was time for equal rights for people of color.

A black and white photo shows Jones, a month shy of turning 15, wearing a striped shirt and standing with a group of white people as the six Black teenagers were jeered while walking up the steps of Jones’ North Little Rock High School.

Why wouldn’t Jones want to tell this story?

Was Jones there to support the protest of desegregation? Or was he there as a teenage boy wanting to get a closer look at what was going on?

“Look, that was 65 years ago, I had no idea when I walked up there what we were doing,” Jones said after the Cowboys’ victory over the Giants on Thursday. “It just was a reminder to me how to improve and do things the right way.”
“Seriously, that was curiosity,” Jones said. “I got criticized because I was more interested in how I was going to get punished by my coaches and everybody for being [there]. Nobody there had any idea, frankly, what was going to take place. You didn’t. We didn’t have all the 70 years of reference and all the things that was going [on]. You didn’t have a reference point there. Still I’ve got a habit of sticking this nose in the [wrong] place at the wrong time. I sure did.”

Just stop. America isn’t the racist country that you’d love it to be. I’m so tired of this crap. So are my friends of all the races that are “oppressed.” We work together, dine together, get $hitfaced on weekends together, double date, all of it. People are tired of this crap. Are there idiots who are actually racist? Of course. On all sides. But that percentage is so damn small they hardly exist and who the hell gives a damn about them. We’ll never move past this narrative as long as people like you keep pushing it.

A little racism is not fine. A little racism is not fine. A little racism is not fine!

You acknowledge that racists still exist in this country and then act like the people who experience racism at the hands of these idiots should just move on. Easy for you to say. You don't really believe racism is gone in the US. You just don't want to hear about it. And for the most part, you don't have to hear about it. White privilege is being able to pretend that racism is a thing of the past. Pretending that racism no longer exists is white privilege. Having the audacity to think you can speak on behalf of the people of color you know is white privilege. But seriously, who in 2022 still using the anecdotal "I have a black friend so..."

Typically, in Jim Crow South, most of the most systemic racism, discrimination or crimes tended to happen in major cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, even New Orleans and less so in the rural, countryside areas. Not necessarily everywhere, but in some states like Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, and the Carolinas it was the case.

Smh. Let me see if I can help you. Can you not really understand why reports of discrimination or crimes were more prominent in developed major cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, or New Orleans?

There's an article about this in today's Dallas Morning News. It's paywalled, but here's a few snippets.

To me, I don't really know what to make of a kid not even 15 years old being at that event. There's really no way of telling why he's there just from the pic. And 14-15 year old us probably did some baffling sheet back in the day, stuff we're not proud of.

What's more relevant is his current comments and what he's actually doing today to show that he's learned from the choices he's made. As an organization, the Cowboys have long lacked diversity in their coaching ranks and what makes it more difficult is that they're hardly the only team with that image problem. It's a league wide problem. It's easy to point a finger at Jerry, but he's only a part of a larger, broader problem.

King, odds are you would have owned slaves back in the day being from Louisiana like pretty much every one else. Why? Because it was normal. Was it right? No but it doesn’t change the fact that people justified it back then.

Just think we 200 years from now people look back at us as being horrible people because we have clothes, phones, computers and car parts made in slave camps around the world. Is it wrong? Yes but we justify it. See how that works. You and I like everyone else supports slavery and human abuse….
Not true, slaves were expensive and considered a luxury. Only 5.67% of the people in the south owned slaves.

But I completely agree with you about someone judging people from what they did over 200 years ago with todays mindset… Was it wrong yes, but it was the norm back then.
People also urinated in chamber pots and took a bath once a week, should we judge them on that as well…
The confederacy’s 11 states had 316,632 slave owners out of a free population of 5,582,222. This equals 5.67 percent of the free population of the confederacy were slave owners

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom