N/S Jerry Jones did what? (1 Viewer)

No? How so? So just because I’m white I should apologize. Got it.
Respectfully, that’s not what white privilege means and I don’t think anyone has asked you to do that.

White privilege (to me anyway) is more like a lot of little things that add up to create certain advantages (or protections). Sometimes it can be about small stuff, other times large/important stuff. It can affect everyone differently and at different levels.

Others here can speak way more intelligently on it than I can.

Benefiting from white privilege (to any degree) is not the same as racism. I don’t think it is something to get defensive about, or even have to apologize for.

I do think it is good to consider how it can affect people of different groups, and how it may have affected you (the general “you”). I think it is important to acknowledge its existence.

I'm a minority and have experienced racism from both sides of white and black, especially in the 80's. Now though, the only time I really hear it is when someone is screaming that someone else is racist. It's the first thing that people run to when something isn't going exactly the way they want it. I believe what's keeping racism alive in this country is the people claiming that others are.

Yeah it seems like the race topic is very touchy on this forum. Perhaps it might just be better to lock it or move it to the locker room.

I'm a minority and have experienced racism from both sides of white and black, especially in the 80's. Now though, the only time I really hear it is when someone is screaming that someone else is racist. It's the first thing that people run to when something isn't going exactly the way they want it. I believe what's keeping racism alive in this country is the people claiming that others are.
All due respect, there are people still experiencing outright racism and discrimination today. Just because you're a minority and not experiencing racism doesn't invalidate other people's perspectives and experiences.

Yeah it seems like the race topic is very touchy on this forum. Perhaps it might just be better to lock it or move it to the locker room.
It's a sensitive subject sure, but we can have an adult conversation about it without insulting others who might not agree. I don't think it's gotten out of hand yet, and hopefully we can still have some reasonable discussion of it.

There’d be much less sexual assault if r*pe victims didn’t press charges
or something

Your handle explains everything. You live in that twisted bubble called DC. Venture out sometime and you’ll see that real Americans actually love each other and support each other. We’re not pawning for political points like in that cesspool you call home. Find another hill to die on.
Everything from this snippet of your post tells me that you've never been anywhere near the DC area and you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Everything from this snippet of your post tells me that you've never been anywhere near the DC area and you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

As someone who grew up in a pretty racist neighborhood in Metairie and lived in the LA for 24 years then moved to the DC area (and lived there for 33 years)? Huge difference….while racism certainly still exists in this area the diversity of folks from all different places makes this a great place, especially to raise kids….most of the neighborhoods around here are very mixed, full of diversity and a good sense of community, great schools, nice parks….I’m really glad my kids have friends of all kinds of different nationalities, cultures and backgrounds…..QFT above, that troll has no idea what he is talking about…..

It's like somehow a DC bubble is more enclosed than the bubble any of the rest of us live in.

Rural areas are in a bubble that are worse than any other part of the country IMO.

It's like somehow a DC bubble is more enclosed than the bubble any of the rest of us live in.

Rural areas are in a bubble that are worse than any other part of the country IMO.
I'm not really seeing that DC bubble. People are the same here as most any other large metropolitan area. The major difference is the number of people working for the federal government, which is significant. But even that is a bit overstated. As a percentage of the overall DC population, it's really not that much. A lot of people work in the private sector or contracting businesses, which are larger in numbers than the federal government.

All due respect, there are people still experiencing outright racism and discrimination today. Just because you're a minority and not experiencing racism doesn't invalidate other people's perspectives and experiences.
I didn't say I don't experience racism, it's just way less than what it was. I truly believe there are more false claims of racism than outright what it used to be like. Jussie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom