N/S Jets Fire D-Line Coach Pepper Johnson (1 Viewer)

ozwego15

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Jets have fired defensive line coach Pepper Johnson. Story to come.</p>&mdash; Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) <a href="https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/816349890087387138">January 3, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know Bill Johnson had a decent year with our line but this guy has been known to turn D-Lines around. Would the Saints consider adding him to the staff?

Why not. We're good with adding coaches on top of coaches

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus using Tapatalk

Why not. We're good with adding coaches on top of coaches

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus using Tapatalk

Right. instead of getting a new position coach he'd rather hire an assistant for his position coach, and pay 2 guys to do what one guy should be doing.

Deep friendships he has with his guys.

Right. instead of getting a new position coach he'd rather hire an assistant for his position coach, and pay 2 guys to do what one guy should be doing.

Improvement is the goal. Why do we care how they get there? If adding a coach to a meeting room helps bolster the unit's performance, why must a previous coach be fired?

It's purely punitive at that point.

That is so true and so laughable. Hey whatever. I am all for bringing someone in to give "another voice".

Bill Johnson has done a great job with less than stellar talent ever since he's been here. He has consistently gotten the best out of low draft picks and UDFA rookies. Now he finally has some real talent starting in 3/4 spots on the line and will likely get a new toy high in the draft to add to the returning Kikaha on the end opposite Jordan.

Our super bowl winning line in and of itself is proof that the man can get better than expected results when you consider the line mainly consisted of one first round pick in Will Smith and a bunch of cast offs and reclamation projects in Hargrove, Ayodele and McCray.

Bill Johnson has done a great job with less than stellar talent ever since he's been here. He has consistently gotten the best out of low draft picks and UDFA rookies. Now he finally has some real talent starting in 3/4 spots on the line and will likely get a new toy high in the draft to add to the returning Kikaha on the end opposite Jordan.

Our super bowl winning line in and of itself is proof that the man can get better than expected results when you consider the line mainly consisted of one first round pick in Will Smith and a bunch of cast offs and reclamation projects in Hargrove, Ayodele and McCray.

Hey, stop ruining the narrative. Bill Johnson is awful.

Though having Johnson & Johnson coach the DL :hihi:

If we're being objective here, Johnson did have three 1st round picks to work with this year. He's worked with eight in total since taking his job in 2009:

Will Smith
Sedrick Ellis
Charles Grant
Cameron Jordan
Broderick Bunkley
Kevin Williams
Nick Fairley
Sheldon Rankins

Most of his years here he's had at least two top picks to work with. No one in the league is starting four 1st-rounders on their line. Without looking, maybe the Jets. And look what we have here - they've fired their line coach following a disappointing season. Our line has been extremely disappointing, and far below average, for four of the last five years. I don't really think he deserves a pass.

EDIT: Johnson also had three 1st-rounders in 2009. Grant landed on IR early in the year, I believe, but he was still working with Smith and Ellis.

Cancel that, Grant missed only the playoffs in 2009.

There are five Jet coaches looking for a job today. And Chan Gailey is retiring...

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey retired a couple days shy of his 65th birthday. Todd Bowles fired quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, running backs coach Marcel Shipp, defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, defensive backs coach Joe Danna and outside linebackers Mark Collins.

Jets OC Chan Gailey retires as team fires five coaches - NY Daily News

IIRC Pepper was a hot candidate for DC jobs not all that long ago and he comes out of the Belichick tree. I would love to see what he could do with our young kids on the DL.

IIRC Pepper was a hot candidate for DC jobs not all that long ago and he comes out of the Belichick tree. I would love to see what he could do with our young kids on the DL.

I see no reason why we wouldn't be looking to make upgrades across the defensive staff. Injuries or not, we finished towards the bottom in every major category, and have done so for a few years now when we didn't have injuries to blame.

If we want to keep the same old guys around, at least cover their deficiencies up with other coaches.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom