N/S Jets releasing Brandon Marshall (1 Viewer)

I'd put money down that he'll be a Patriot. He wants to win, has the utmost respect for Belichek, fits into a sideline threat that they haven't been able to adequately fill for quite some time (Mitchell is developing nicely though), they have the cap space, he offers excellent perimeter blocking for their waning run game, and his last few years left would coincide with Brady's. They will lose at least one of their premier TE's this offseason, and he would fill the need for a big target to a T.

With Brady that duo will be scary :worthy:

I dont understand this talk about we need a burner at WR when we dont really go down field past 25 yards much. Brees is my QB but I do have to admit I think his deep ball is leaving him. Everyone of those deep balls Cooks has to come back to the ball and it gets knocked away. We run a West Coast type offense where running precise routes is a must due to the timing. With that being said skip B Marshall and give me #7 Mike Williams from Clemson. He is a monster!!

I'm not sure where this conclusion that Brees can't throw the deep ball anymore is drawn up. I remember reading an article a season or two ago where Brees actually led the league in completed deep balls that traveled some distance through the air (I forget the yardage). And while I'm unsure how he finished in the rankings, I know for a fact that for the first half of the season, Brees was ranked #3 in the Football Focus Deep Ball passer rating (ball travels at least 20 yards in the air) behind only Matt Ryan and Tom Brady. In Football Outsiders general passing statistics, Brees finished 2nd in defense adjusted yards above replacement (behind Matt Ryan) and #4 in their yardage value per attempt adjusted by opponent stat. You don't rank high in value per attempt by throwing a bunch of short routes and sucking at the long ball. I mean, yeah he under threw Morgan a lot a few years ago when he had that oblique injury. But since then, prior to 2016, he finished in the top 5 in deep passing accuracy 6 out of the previous 8 years, and from the looks of it, probably extended it 7 out of 9. He's consistently beating out, currently heralded deep ball passers like Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, this year's Carr, etc. And he's been doing that with primarily a 21-23 year old 5'10 WR.

I still think trading Cooks is a bad idea. The jets releasing Marshall has no impact on that though. If Cooks is behind all this trade talk then he has to go. For better or worse I always think "what would Belichick do?" And if a guy starts putting himself above the team, regardless of his standing - he is shown the door.

But I don't care if Marshall is 34. He is a good WR and we aren't in the business of waiting for another WR to develop. Brees isn't getting younger. Its time to win while we can.

I still think trading Cooks is a bad idea. The jets releasing Marshall has no impact on that though. If Cooks is behind all this trade talk then he has to go. For better or worse I always think "what would Belichick do?" And if a guy starts putting himself above the team, regardless of his standing - he is shown the door.

But I don't care if Marshall is 34. He is a good WR and we aren't in the business of waiting for another WR to develop. Brees isn't getting younger. Its time to win while we can.

As far as I know, Cooks made one comment in a tweet after a frustrating day with no catches.

Has there been anything else?

33.....he was born in '84.

This is correct, he will be 33. Turns 33 this month, last time i checked season starts in Sept. sooo unless he has another bday in the same year he will be 33.

Woudnt mind bringing him in at all, with Drew throwing to him skys the limit, especially if he comes cheap.

People are saying that Brandon Marshall can't replace Cooks like Cooks is on another level. Brandon Marshall is one of the best WRs in the league. I don't think there would be a huge drop off going from Cooks to Marshall. At all. Who knows what kind of numbers Marshall could put up with Brees. Hell he went for 1,502 and 14 TDs two years ago with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. It's entirely possible that Marshall could put up better numbers than Cooks did.

There aren't too many WRs in the league who would be a better fit in SP's offense.

I dont understand this talk about we need a burner at WR when we dont really go down field past 25 yards much. Brees is my QB but I do have to admit I think his deep ball is leaving him. Everyone of those deep balls Cooks has to come back to the ball and it gets knocked away. We run a West Coast type offense where running precise routes is a must due to the timing. With that being said skip B Marshall and give me #7 Mike Williams from Clemson. He is a monster!!

I guess you missed the 100 yard bombs this year?

I think if we ultimately do trade Cooks away, we need to replace him with a burner that keeps safeties honest. Desean Jackson if he still has juice. Also would explore guys like KD Cannon or Stacy Coley late in the draft.

Desean isn't coming here with his background.

If you see what Cooks has done against Arizona, you can see why he may want out. No other wide receiver in the league does something like that and a few other games and then gets nothing else to compare. Further, Cooks burned a lot of fantasy owners that week against Arizona. A lot of players are getting sponsorships and recognition for fantasy performances. Cooks wants to be able to be marketable and he can't under this offense because the only person allowed to be marketable is a 38 year old QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom