N/S Jimmy Johnson Going Into The HOF (1 Viewer)

I so hate Dallas. But remember that at that time, the only other real contender was the 49ers. The 9ers had experience and were a well oiled machine back then. That first Dallas team was extremely young and they punched the 49ers right in their mouth. And I liked Smith so I enjoyed that immensely. He was a very hateable coach but he gave that young team swagger and he did create a dynasty.

What about former HC's Mike Holmgren or Don Coryell, who helped revolutionize the NFL's passing game and created arguably the First modern high-powered offense with 79-82 Chargers with HOFs in Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow Sr., Charlie Joiner, Ed White. Many of Coryells offensive ideas, schemes, and play-calling numbers were used by Johnson's 90's Cowboys teams and St. Louis Rams Greatest Show on Turf from 1999-2003. Corryell has rightly been called an innovator in the same vein as Hank Schram, and Sid Gillman, so he's way overdue.

I know he’s got two Super Bowls but that .556 win % is eesh. 80-64 record.

The only two coaches in the PFHoF that were inducted for their contributions as a coach that have a lower win % than Johnson are Sid Gillman (.552) who as mentioned earlier was an innovator of the sport, and Weeb Ewbank (.502) who has 3 championships (2 NFL titles and 1 Super Bowl).

Hell, Mike Shanahan has a .552 win % and two Super Bowls himself. Guess he’s up next.

I was living Southeast Texas when Jimmy Johnson left the Cowboys. The year before he left, the city of Port Arthur had named a short road after him. It was in a new development so it really didn’t go anywhere yet. After half a mile it was a dead end. About that time there was a VIP roast of a state senator and JJ was there. The senator, sore that JJ had left the team, cracked, “I see they named the right road after you. As soon as it starts getting good it runs out in you.”

Mutt, Jerry Jones enormous Texas-sized ego, fueled by hubris and an idiotic perception that his contributions to creating and sustaining the early 90s Cowboys teams SB titles weren't being acknowledged and that any halfway-decent HC could manage his enormously talented squad is the reason why he let JJ walk away and although Barry Switzer won Cowboys another ring in 1995, that team was still 80-85% Jimmy's team and here's the craziest thing, Pittsburgh probably would've won the game if they had a more competent, capable QB who didn't throw 2 critical INTs to Larry Brown in the 4th quarter. Super Bowl XXX, compared to Dallas two previous SB wins, was actually a far more evenly-matched, contested game where Cowboys weren't the dominant powerhouse in all phases on the level they'd been vs. Buffalo in those two SB wins under Johnson.

Several Cowboys greats from those 90s teams:Irvin, Allman, Emmett Smith, Darren Woodson, have all stated that if Jimmy had stayed, they would probably won 4-5 SB's, almost on a transcendent level similar to what the Patriots have achieved over the past 2 decades. Aikman, Irvin, Emmett also feel that not drafting Randy Moss in 1998 likely ended residue of a Cowboys revival in the late 90s, all of their careers would've been extended another 5-6 years by having a lethal, once-in-a-generational WR talent in Moss torching and obliterating opposing teams secondaries. Aikman ends up with maybe 10,000 more career yards then he ends up with.

Those key decisions, or not taking a bit of a calculated risk, by Jerry Jones is why Dallas didn't win a single postseason game for 13 years, and why they've won 4 playoff games since Super Bowl XXX and why their organization hasn't advanced past the Div. Round, much less played in or won an NFCCG or appeared in a SB.

I don't think Jimmy Johnson nor Bill Cowher should be in the Hall of Fame, as least not now. They are solid coaches and bought their respective franchise to respectability. But Jimmy didn't do much after he left the Cowboys. He had all the talent in the world. But he couldn't coach Miami. Cowher was lucky to win one before he retire. But before that I thought he was solid but not great. Had some good season along with some bad ones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom