N/S Joey Bosa Signed By Chargers (1 Viewer)

I for one believe they should be paid a fixed rate based on draft position selection. No haggling, no BS, just play. Make it a two year deal, then we can talk.

It's pretty close. Offset language and bonus payout timeframes are really the only thing to "haggle", and you notice you almost never get those hangups with other players/organizations.

I was going to attempt to play devil's advocate.... but I just can't understand what the Chargers were thinking. This made absolutely NO sense. Maybe if they chose Myles Jack (with major long term injury concerns), I could understand the Offset negotiations. This is Joey Bosa, who gives no signs of being a bust, or injury ridden.

There's a reason Eli Manning refused to sign with them, and a reason LT finished his career in New York. This isn't the first time they've pulled this either. This is just the first time it blew up on them. Apparently they try everything they can to screw the player.

Only thing I can say is congratulations to Joey Bosa on the millions of $$$, and San Diego is a really great city. Perfect weather year round. Really only Miami rivals San Diego in location beauty.

I was going to attempt to play devil's advocate.... but I just can't understand what the Chargers were thinking. This made absolutely NO sense. Maybe if they chose Myles Jack (with major long term injury concerns), I could understand the Offset negotiations. This is Joey Bosa, who gives no signs of being a bust, or injury ridden.

There's a reason Eli Manning refused to sign with them, and a reason LT finished his career in New York. This isn't the first time they've pulled this either. This is just the first time it blew up on them. Apparently they try everything they can to screw the player.

Only thing I can say is congratulations to Joey Bosa on the millions of $$$, and San Diego is a really great city. Perfect weather year round. Really only Miami rivals San Diego in location beauty.
You can't blame the Chargers both sides have made no sense at the end both settled and could have done this months ago!

I'm curious which side caved.

The deal is worth $25.8 million with a $17 million signing bonus, all fully guaranteed, NFL Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source.

According to Spotrac, Bosa caved on getting his entire signing bonus up front. Not sure if the Chargers removed the off-set or not.

Spotrac said:
Joey Bosa signed a 4 year, $25,873,685 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $17,017,226 signing bonus, $25,873,685 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,468,421. In 2016, Bosa will earn a base salary of $450,000 and a signing bonus of $14,464,642. Bosa has a cap hit of $4,704,306.

Total of $17M in signing bonus, but only $14.4 up front, so $2.6M deferred to next year which was Bosa's sticking point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom