N/S Justin Gilbert released (1 Viewer)

nosaints213

ad majorem dei gloriam
Reaction score
He was a top-10 pick just a few years ago by Cleveland. Traded to Pittsburgh, then just got released.

Knock on him is that he "doesn't love football."

Lots of potential. Worth a claim on the waver wire?

Not sure why we would want to pick up a guy who's flamed out with 2 teams in 3 years just because he was a high draft pick.

I'd bring him in. His home is Huntsville TX so he might prefer playing in the south (Ref: Nick Fairley). He's very fast! Track star in high school. We need CB help and we definitely need a kickoff returner. He had 11 kickoff returns for touchdowns at Oklahoma State. Set the Big 12 Conference record for kickoff return touchdowns in a season with six his senior year. Yea I've read the bad news, but maybe he turns his attitude and outlook on football around. Bring him in, chat with his former coach (Glenn), see where he's at in life ...

He was a top-10 pick just a few years ago by Cleveland. Traded to Pittsburgh, then just got released.

Knock on him is that he "doesn't love football."

Lots of potential. Worth a claim on the waver wire?

I would pass. His potential is useless, cause the most important aspect of being a football player, desire to compete, isnt there. You cant teach or coach desire & the innate want to. Gilbert got his loot, rode the bench, & is either gonna be out of the league, or on to the next bench & paycheck. I hope we steer clear of him.

This is what scares me about picking a corner at 11. I know it can and does happen to all positions, but it seems like it happens a lot with corners. Maybe it's just me. I haven't done the research to back this up with statistics or anything.

You can coach technique. You can coach scheme and strategy.

But you can't coach desire. If he doesn't want to be an NFL player, can't make him.

Aaron Glenn coached him for two seasons in Cleveland and still couldn't get good production from him.

I'd consider him for KR/PR if he has any desire to play.

This is what scares me about picking a corner at 11. I know it can and does happen to all positions, but it seems like it happens a lot with corners. Maybe it's just me. I haven't done the research to back this up with statistics or anything.

Look no further than our last first-round corner, Pat Robinson. Great athlete but very poor confidence.

We don't need a guy who doesn't enjoy his job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom