N/S Kaep soph slump (1 Viewer)

15 TDs (10 passing, 5 rushing)

10 turnovers(3 INTs, 7 fumbles)

13 starts....not exactly setting the world on fire

There are some QBs that are overrated because their teams win...kaepernick is talented...but he is overrated

i disagree. he has like half as many 200+ yard games as vince young does in his career already. I think he is a legit qb. as long as he doesnt start making mistakes he will continue to be a very good player. btw he had nearly 400 yards of offense against the ravens.

Clarify....did he throw for nearly 400 or did he hand off for half of that number?

It's more about the team he has around him. That O-line is sick. They will hit big cap trouble in a couple years he gets paid. Hard to have that talented of a roster with a highly paid QB.

I'm not that impressed with Kaep, but I am with the SF team, so he will still win even if he plays poorly.

I agree. Kaep is a great athlete who adds the dimension of home run ability when running the ball...but what makes SF so good is their defense, great oline, strong running game, and underrated receiving corps (Damn I hate to admit all that).But Kaep will struggle when forced to make tough throws in the pocket...yeah he will break occasional big runs but I feel he will also have his share of turnovers too...

Curious to see how the Pistol does this season, every defensive coach has been breaking this offense down. I can't imagine how many calls to college coaches went down behind the scenes. I think the offense won't be nearly as effective as last year, I think what people underestimate about these QB's is their ability to throw.

RG3 can rip you up with his arm.

Russel Wilson can pick you apart with his arm.

Kappernick can do the same, I think with another year under his belt, going into camp knowing he's the guy, he will be a much improved passer.

Honestly, I don't think these teams will need to have their QB's running a lot this year. I think the injury to RG3 will be in the mind of these coaches all next season.

I think Kaep's downfall will be Harbough. Sean Payton has given Drew Brees freedom and yet he has refined him very much. Sean Payton loves Drew Brees and is happy when he suceeds. I've never felt like Sean was worried about getting credit. Harbough on the other hand micromanages that offense and Kaep.

Kaep comes from a good family. I know them personally. They are good people and money won't change him. I think it will come down to whether or not he could make quick decisions, have confidence, and make accurate passes. The fact of the matter is that he hasn't proven anything more than Vince Young did in his first and second year. Kaep will need to learn the offense and run it or he will be replaced by Andy Dalton.

PS. the Ravens pretty much shut down that pistol stuff.

Andy Dalton? Was that a mistake or am I missing something? Serious question....

Curious to see how the Pistol does this season, every defensive coach has been breaking this offense down. I can't imagine how many calls to college coaches went down behind the scenes. I think the offense won't be nearly as effective as last year, I think what people underestimate about these QB's is their ability to throw.

RG3 can rip you up with his arm.

Russel Wilson can pick you apart with his arm.

Kappernick can do the same, I think with another year under his belt, going into camp knowing he's the guy, he will be a much improved passer.

Honestly, I don't think these teams will need to have their QB's running a lot this year. I think the injury to RG3 will be in the mind of these coaches all next season.

Wilson and Kaep have made some "big time" throws, but RG3 is leaps and bounds ahead of them as far as passing skills IMO. That guy is the real deal if he can stay healthy. They should coach the run out of him if need be.

i think the kid is the real deal. he'll never be a Drew Brees but he will beat some teams with his arm. i think the thought of him having a sophomore slump was dispelled in the playoffs. all teams in the playoffs had almost a full season of tape on the kid and no one could stop him completely. when you make it to the conference championship game you are no longer a 1st year starter. at that point you have enough skins on the wall to be called a veteran player. as much as we'd all like to think this kid is gonna go away, sorry to burst your bubble guys, but he's here to stay. he's smart enough not to take hits. he can throw the ball. he has a defense that can keep him within reach of any team in the NFL.

The kids is for real, and he's gonna be a real problem for his NFL opponents.

Ask Mark Sanchez that....

Now they're obviously two completely different types of QBs with very different skill sets. Their potential ceiling that we could see after Kaep's first season as compared to Sanchez's first season is obviously much higher in favor of Kaep bc of his overall play - he has displayed great tools and has put them together on the field constantly after just 1 season which is rare for a rookie/inexperienced QB. There were also times in games when Kaep would just single handedly take over a game using his skills sets, and he'd almost 100% create plays from scratch if the play is broken early or execute the given play better than it was drawn bc e threw a laser. From what I recall Sanchez NEVER did that for his team the way Kaep did last year - making physically amazing plays frequently over entire games. Sure he was good for about 3-5 good improvised throws per game after scrambling around a little in that season, but that was about it, and that's also where he seemed to have peaked. Maybe Kaep will peak after one year as a started too, and DCs will now know how to shut down him or that type of QB, but I doubt it. He seems too good to be shut down easily.

Now they did get their teams to the conference championship games in their first seasons as starters, but I still think it is very possible and probable for him to incur a sophomore slump this upcoming season bc, despite what you said about it, the DCs and defenses didn't have enough time during the season to scheme against him or that type of offense enough to stop it constantly. Week 10 was his first starting, and some defenses are mentally set in their habits then too. He also only played 8 regular season games and then 3 post-season games - 11 full games as a starter in the NFL. That's not nearly enough time for defenses (more specifically coordinators) to completely scheme against talent like Kaep. There is too much going on from week to week for there to be time to focus on scheming against something new like him/that even if there was a bye week before the playoffs or Super Bowl (like you stated). Since there are a few QBs (Newton, RGIII, Kaepernick, Wilson) w similar qualities that have emerged in the past seasons as dangerous dual threats, there will be an obvious shift in how DCs will adjust the defenses to face these teams w these types of QBs.

It'll be very similar to how defenses changed after an off-season to learn how to defend the Wildcat offense. Miami ('08 I think) was the first to use it as a cornerstone of their offense. A couple other teams copied them and added several identical or very similar formations and plays to their offense by the end of the '08 season, but it wasn't a widespread or common offensive wrinkle in play books of many offenses around the league at that time. The Dolphins were the first team to use these types of previously unseen/"uncoached-against" plays when they re-introduced this style on the league that hadn't seen that since the 60s. They were so effective at running it, and it was such a foreign idea that no one knew how to best defend it, and it propelled them to win the AFC East title. The next season a good bit of teams (50%) adopted it in some form, and it was pretty successful overall. After that 2nd season it was in use (1st season when a good amount of teams used it from beginning to end of a season) DCs now had an entire off-season to plan as a whole on how to successfully approach an offense w such a unique/new/versatile style of QB at the helm.

i disagree. he has like half as many 200+ yard games as vince young does in his career already. I think he is a legit qb. as long as he doesnt start making mistakes he will continue to be a very good player. btw he had nearly 400 yards of offense against the ravens.

Having a lot of passing yards when playing catch up to a big lead isn't all that amazing. Typically the run game is abandoned and the defense wants to keeo the offense in front of them, allowing a lot of short passes.

I feel he will slump. Strong arm, but doesn't have pinpoint accuracy. Wilson is the guy I think is most likely to avoid slump of the 3 big read option guys last year. Griffin might, but will be curious about that knee. Kaepernick is the most likely QB that had success last year that I think will take a down turn

Now they're obviously two completely different types of QBs with very different skill sets. Their potential ceiling that we could see after Kaep's first season as compared to Sanchez's first season is obviously much higher in favor of Kaep bc of his overall play - he has displayed great tools and has put them together on the field constantly after just 1 season which is rare for a rookie/inexperienced QB. There were also times in games when Kaep would just single handedly take over a game using his skills sets, and he'd almost 100% create plays from scratch if the play is broken early or execute the given play better than it was drawn bc e threw a laser. From what I recall Sanchez NEVER did that for his team the way Kaep did last year - making physically amazing plays frequently over entire games. Sure he was good for about 3-5 good improvised throws per game after scrambling around a little in that season, but that was about it, and that's also where he seemed to have peaked. Maybe Kaep will peak after one year as a started too, and DCs will now know how to shut down him or that type of QB, but I doubt it. He seems too good to be shut down easily.

Now they did get their teams to the conference championship games in their first seasons as starters, but I still think it is very possible and probable for him to incur a sophomore slump this upcoming season bc, despite what you said about it, the DCs and defenses didn't have enough time during the season to scheme against him or that type of offense enough to stop it constantly. Week 10 was his first starting, and some defenses are mentally set in their habits then too. He also only played 8 regular season games and then 3 post-season games - 11 full games as a starter in the NFL. That's not nearly enough time for defenses (more specifically coordinators) to completely scheme against talent like Kaep. There is too much going on from week to week for there to be time to focus on scheming against something new like him/that even if there was a bye week before the playoffs or Super Bowl (like you stated). Since there are a few QBs (Newton, RGIII, Kaepernick, Wilson) w similar qualities that have emerged in the past seasons as dangerous dual threats, there will be an obvious shift in how DCs will adjust the defenses to face these teams w these types of QBs.

It'll be very similar to how defenses changed after an off-season to learn how to defend the Wildcat offense. Miami ('08 I think) was the first to use it as a cornerstone of their offense. A couple other teams copied them and added several identical or very similar formations and plays to their offense by the end of the '08 season, but it wasn't a widespread or common offensive wrinkle in play books of many offenses around the league at that time. The Dolphins were the first team to use these types of previously unseen/"uncoached-against" plays when they re-introduced this style on the league that hadn't seen that since the 60s. They were so effective at running it, and it was such a foreign idea that no one knew how to best defend it, and it propelled them to win the AFC East title. The next season a good bit of teams (50%) adopted it in some form, and it was pretty successful overall. After that 2nd season it was in use (1st season when a good amount of teams used it from beginning to end of a season) DCs now had an entire off-season to plan as a whole on how to successfully approach an offense w such a unique/new/versatile style of QB at the helm.

Where does the Mark Sanchez comparison come in at? Am I missing something?

......how about ask Aaron Brook that.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom