N/S KC Tackle Eric Winston released (1 Viewer)

abnrgr

Rangers Lead the Way!
Reaction score
I understand we have many needs with most on defense but Winston could fix our RT position for several years. If he would be willing to accept a reasonable contract he would be a significant improvement over Strief. Any thoughts?

Great size at 6 ft 7 in and 300+... started every game the last six seasons. Only 29 years old.

Great point. Thinking about it though how much does Drew mask the current OT ability to pass protect?

Drew does mask OTs ability to pass protect, but it only takes 1 missed block or assignment. I don't trust Winston, especially in the passing game.

Wow, whats this guys deal. he was cut by Houston last year. This year KC? Who's next the Rams or Vikings? is he just moving his way North?

Flash mentioned his pass protection. KC will likely draft an OT and with Albert getting the franchise tag, Winston is the odd guy out.

I understand we have many needs with most on defense but Winston could fix our RT position for several years. If he would be willing to accept a reasonable contract he would be a significant improvement over Strief. Any thoughts?

As much as I would love Revis or Nnamdi as the big free agent pick up by the Saints, I think grabbing Winston would be an absolute steal.

Winston won't command a crazy contract and still he's one of the best RT's in the league. In 2011 he was dominant. Last year he gave up only 3 sacks, fewest of any RT who played as many snaps. On top of that he's consistently one of the top run blockers year in and year out.

I like Strief and his ability to back up both tackle positions, but if we can lock up Winston that would make our offensive that much more dangerous.

Drew does mask OTs ability to pass protect, but it only takes 1 missed block or assignment. I don't trust Winston, especially in the passing game.

All good points. Payton and the scouts know OL talent. Pretty sure they can fix the RT situation without having to write a large check. I appreciate the insight!

We have a lot of young guys on the bench who I believe the staff will give a chance to play (should we lose Bushrod, or sit Strief).

Winston would be nice, but barring some nice deal on his part, I doubt we can afford him.

Just as a point of reference, PFF had Winston ranked 7th in '09, 5th in '10, and 6th in '11 while NFL Draft Scout had Winston as the 3rd best RT in the NFL last year.

His salary will most likely fall in the area of $4-5 million. Not quite breaking the bank, even for a RT. I like Strief and I like that he can back up both tackle spots well, but he is not the quality player Winston is.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this would be a great pickup and could lock up the RT spot for the next couple of years.

Winston was that doofus complaining to the media about the fans cheering when Cassel got injured last year.... I think - just don't give him the mic :hihi:

Winston was that doofus complaining to the media about the fans cheering when Cassel got injured last year.... I think - just don't give him the mic :hihi:

Yeah, screw that guy for defending his quarterback on and off the field. The last thing we need on this squad is a passionate team player.

I think we should let Bushrod walk as long as we upgrade. I say bring in Winston and Jake Long. We will be plenty under the cap before its all said and done and think both would come relatively cheap considering the potential they bring. Heard different things on what Long will command but either way think he's worth it. I would have no problem putting our $ to protect Brees. Brees would make these guys pro bowlers because he would never get touched. We would have no much length and and toughness at the tackle spots which we haven't had in years. Brees would have 2 great Guards ad very good Ceneter along with 2 Pro Bowl caliber Tackles finally in front of a good QB and stable situation. Still thin we would have $ after both acquisitions to sign 1 or 2 decent defenders and land some impact defenders in the draft. We are right around the corner of a great D if guys do what we expect of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom