N/S (kinda): Panthers release Tre Boston (1 Viewer)

Makes it seem crazy to not resign Marcus. At least we know what we have in him. The Byrd contract, Coleman bust, and even Kevin Kaesviharn just still messes with my head when it comes to us signing FA safeties.

For sure. The thing that could also help is that, because of the market, he will be more valuable to us than other teams since he knows our system, etc. Hopefully it helps

And wind up potentially paying more for lesser talent-
Why would we do that?

I would love for the Saints to keep all of their free agents but tough decisions will have to be made because of the Saints salary cap situation. Marcus Williams will demand a contract in the range of $15 - $16 Million dollars average per year. The Saints still will still need cap space to sign Winston (or a QB) and their draft class. Additionally, Ram and Lattimore have to get paid.

The Saints are still $68 Million over the cap. I don't know how many contracts that Mickey Loomis can restructure but the Saints might lose some young talent. Hopefully, they can hit a home run in the draft like they did in 2017.

I would love for the Saints to keep all of their free agents but tough decisions will have to be made because of the Saints salary cap situation. Marcus Williams will demand a contract in the range of $15 - $16 Million dollars average per year. The Saints still will still need cap space to sign Winston (or a QB) and their draft class. Additionally, Ram and Lattimore have to get paid.

The Saints are still $68 Million over the cap. I don't know how many contracts that Mickey Loomis can restructure but the Saints might lose some young talent. Hopefully, they can hit a home run in the draft like they did in 2017.
Marcus Williams will not get a 15 APY contract. The market is flooded, cap is down, and the draft is flooded with safety prospects. His ceiling is 10 million.

Marcus Williams will not get a 15 APY contract. The market is flooded, cap is down, and the draft is flooded with safety prospects. His ceiling is 10 million.

I think you are on the right track. Safeties, who are not ELITE, won't break the bank this year in free agency. Buyer's Market. That $10 million number, real money...not the fake numbers that agents use, even that might be too high. The contract might "look" like more money, but real dollars, not the fake years at the end, will probably be between $8-10 million/yr.

Tre Boston shops in my store. His play has fallen off dramatically in the past couple of years. I’ll pass
I’ve always like Malik Hooker for some reason.

The Saints historically have let safetys coming off rookie deals walk. Jenkins,Vaccaro, & Bell just the few I can remember. Maybe Willams will be different?

I wouldn't really relate him to Vaccaro and Bell. Very different type of role. He's closer to Jenkins when he was younger but still a different type of player. Payton does view letting Jenkins go as a mistake. He also tried to replace him with a huge FA move.

I think Williams fits closer to how they valued Sharper during their SB run or what they wanted in Byrd. Not that they are the same players (off the field especially), but he more than adequately fills that role.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom